Need help on a BP/W setup.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've got a Dive Rite Venture wing that is 30 pounds lift. it's WAY more than I need for a 6 pound steel plate and using steel tanks. There's nothing wrong with the DR Venture, but if I had to pay "asking price' for it, (Dive Rite List price), I'd look elsewhere first.

I've not dove an 18 pound wing before. But I think that I'd strongly consider it.

Oxycheq Travel Wing is 18 pounds and runs about $275. It's a good option. Make sure you buy it from a good LDS and ask what their replacement policy and timeline is for warranty on it. Returning goods directly to Oxycheq in the past for other users here has shown that "customer service is not their strong suit" (to put it mildly).

The Dive Rite Travel wing is 27 pounds and runs about $275

The Hog 23pound "single tank wing" would be a good choice at $240. HOG also sells a 32lb wing for slightly less. ($200).

I'd prob lean to the Hog Wing if I had to replace mine. The person who runs Hog is very active with SB and will answer direct questions if you need assistance.

18 pounds is working well for me in cold water with a slung pony.

Tobin at Deep Sea Supply is the man for this. Give him a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. As far as backplates go they main question is does it fit the wing you are using. There have been reports of the cam slots of the plate not lining up properly with the wing. Tobin at DSS recommends sticking with the same manufacture for wing and plate. However, I would recommend if want to mix and match to talk to the dive shop first and ask if they fit. As for bang for the buck some shops sell generic plates that they have made, these would be the lowest cost solution.

2. If price is a concern a Dive Rite Deluxe harness with quick release can be purchased for about $40, also Golem Gear has a quick disconnect harness on sale for $45. These are the least expensive options I know of.

3. You can buy a back pad for a plate if you want and zip tie it. Cave Adventurers sell one for $15 if you want it.

4. Yes a SS would be fine especially if you use a wetsuit.

5. Oxycheq extreme is one of the toughest. I have read where some divers also put an inner tube around their bladders to protect them further. You may want to ask about it in a technical forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom