Need help on deciding!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's a full length wet suit with a shorty on top...
both dive shops recommended layering up....
so it's 5.5mm full and 5.5 shorty

went in on saturday layered up

No way will i go in just a 5mm!!!

Still just 5.5mm on the legs and arms though, waaayyyy too thin IMO. At 10m your body will be covered with 5.5mm and arms and legs with just 2.75mm! We used to have a saying in my club, 'Buy a wetsuit and in six months you'll either give up diving or buy a drysuit'. Either way you've made an expensive mistake.

Don't forget that in the UK it is only occasionally that the weather is warm enough to sit around comfortably in a wetsuit when out of the water. This is actually often more of the problem with wetsuits than their in-water warmth. It is easy to be relatively comfortable during the first dive but become progressively chilled when sitting around during the surface interval to the point that you don't get a second dive or the second dive is seriously curtailed because you're now too cold.

The alternative, taking the wetsuit off and putting on dry clothes between dives leaves you with the prospect of stripping off again and putting on your now cold, wet, wetsuit on. Wet skin + wet wetsuit = relatively easy to don the suit, dry skin + dry wetsuit = easy to don the suit, dry skin + wet wetsuit = bloody nightmare!

However, if you've still got your heart set on buying a wetsuit then I suggest you also purchase a big, cheap, insulated and waterproof jacket, a good woolly hat and surface mittens (warmer than gloves) and put them on as soon as you can, over the wetsuit, after each dive even if the weather seems relatively benign. That will save you having to strip between dives. If you get too warm you can always take off the hat, mittens, and jacket progressively to cool down but it is much, much harder to re-warm yourself if you've become cold in your wetsuit. Hot food and drinks after the first dive can also make the prospect of a second more enticing too.

As you can see, dry suit divers form something of a cult. There's a reason -- it is really a far superior way to dive in cooler climates. There's just no getting around it.

If you haven't done your dry suit cert, and rented a few to get used to how they feel, you're probably being a bit hasty in your purchase.

And I'm not sure of the quality of the dry suits on that same site, I've honestly not heard of them before. But if they are even of moderate quality, they'll be a much better buy. Wet suits have a very short lifespan compared to a dry suit for the most part.

Thanks for all the answers!
I know how dry suits would be better, i'll be trying them out in the future. right now i am happy with a wetsuit!
LDS sold me the aqualung one. =] and gave me discount!

Thanks for allllll the answers!

KK

Congrats, they are great suits.

Thanks for all the answers!
I know how dry suits would be better, i'll be trying them out in the future. right now i am happy with a wetsuit!
LDS sold me the aqualung one. =] and gave me discount!

Thanks for allllll the answers!

KK

Back
Top Bottom