Need help planning dives in Coz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's not often that I say this, but I think this is one of those times where you should pause, listen to what people are saying here, check their experience levels diving in Coz, and think this over again. Because this is experience talking. These comments are being made with your safety in mind...both in terms of accidents that could happen in the water and DCI risks. I have only once tried to do a dive the day I arrived (on the Big Island). It was a bit of a gong show and my husband got pi***d off at me for a few days afterwards. Christi has given you a really good option here. BTW, I dive AND snorkel in Cozumel. But on day 1, I like to check out my accommodations, renew acquaintances with folks there I know, have a nice dinner, stay nice and hydrated, go to bed early and be well-rested for my early wake up call in the a.m.

Thanks for the input and I apologize if my joke ruffled any feathers :) I'll follow up with Christi privately.

The reason I always ask about the shore diving is online I see pretty much everyone saying don't do it. But once I get to Coz, I see people swimming, snorkeling and diving all over the beaches there and having a good time. Its just confusing how different the online sentiment is versus the reality once you get down there.

I don't recall anyone saying don't do shore dives.....but compared to other areas in the Caribbean...the shore diving is just not that great.....and even less great since Wilma....

I did a shore dive when I was there in July on the day I arrived....we arrived at 11:00am by the time we unpacked and got our gear together ate lunch and met up with some other scubaboarders and rented tanks and weights and shclepped everything to where we enter the water and geared up it was 3:30pm....and hot...but once in the water it was ok....we were wet and the water was clear and saw some critters.....

You commented that your gf was recently certified...I was just taking her into consideration thinking that maybe she should hold off on the shore dive until she has familarized her self with the surroundings....plus the currents can be weird take this week for example they have been having underwater sandstorms with strange currents....now that may be unnerving for someone who is not use to diving in Cozumel....you wanted our opinion and we gave the best we could based on your information......have fun....Christi will take good care of you and your gf....have fun:D

Thanks for the input. I am awaiting a reply from Christi in the hopes she will lead us on a nice, safe shore dive for our first dip of the trip :)

By the way, we will be diving in the San Marcos and Comal rivers next weekend if you would like to join us.

Jarrett:
Thanks for the input. I am awaiting a reply from Christi in the hopes she will lead us on a nice, safe shore dive for our first dip of the trip :)

By the way, we will be diving in the San Marcos and Comal rivers next weekend if you would like to join us.

Not sure we can make it next weekend out tanks are out for inspections and won't be back for a few weeks...plus my hp hose was leaking in Coz and I need to have it replaced and just haven't found the time to get to Austin to get it done.....thanks for the offer maybe another time...:D

Fair enough, maybe next time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom