Need info for novice divers first trip to FL with 15 year old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boat Chick, simply click on the link below which directs you to the Deep Dixie Divers sub-forum of the Southeastern United States then click post thread button appearing at both the top and bottom of the collections of threads. Remember to fill in thread title (I always forget) then write narrative. Good luck!

Deep Dixie Divers - ScubaBoard

Thanks Valhalla:D

If the mods want to delete this, please do so:)

Plenty of non-AOW dives in Pompano and Ft Laud.

I remember being disappointed with an OP in Pompano because both dives were in less than 40fsw.
I live in Jupiter and love the diving here, but as much as it saddens me to chase potential clients elsewhere,I wouldn't recommend Jupiter.
Not much less than 60 feet and most, if not all, will be drift dives.
Drift diving in heavy current isn't something you can just jump into.

I dont agree with chasing them off completely there are plenty of places that do OW certs up here so it has to be somewhat safe, its just that you should try finding someone that runs a good size crew in the water to help makesure you are somewhat supervised since the current can cause you to have difficulties swimming with the group if you dont stay on the right track. if you want to dive further north then Broward county i would recommend UW explorers with kevin, or The Scuba Club because they run a good size staff in the water but they are a little pricey

I did my cert through Scuba Club and it was a dive on reef road site (about 30 ft) and playground which ran about 60ft. but there are some other options for non-AOW dives. they could do breakers reef or some of the reefs around boynton to stay in OW territory and get a nice taste of drift diving

I concurr with the Keys being a great place for new divers to flipper around in hands down.

However, the OP asked about Check Out dives. I stand by my original No Better than Owner, Operator, Dive Master, Instructor Kevin Metz of Under Water Explorer.

Jupiter is deep (relative to OW) and can be stiff current for a newbie diver for sure. Post your trip and there will very likely be many divemasters, instructors and tech divers on the boat with you from here on SB.

I concurr with the Keys being a great place for new divers to flipper around in hands down.

However, the OP asked about Check Out dives. I stand by my original No Better than Owner, Operator, Dive Master, Instructor Kevin Metz of Under Water Explorer.

Jupiter is deep (relative to OW) and can be stiff current for a newbie diver for sure. Post your trip and there will very likely be many divemasters, instructors and tech divers on the boat with you from here on SB.

When did the PB Inlet and all its charter operators go out of vogue? :idk:

My husband & I decided that the Keys would probably our best bet since they are shallower dives. Looking at the end of March now, so hopefully it will be fairly warm too.

So now I'd like to focus on dive operators in the Keys. Has anyone used or stayed at Amoray's in Key Largo? I found her in a book I have... don't know anything about her, but the trip advisor reviews say their boat captian is not very nice....

If staying on the Key's is too expensive, I found a decent place to stay in Homestead.

Any other thoughts?

Thank you :fish:

Last edited:
Key Largo is going to be your best bet if your shooting for the keys.

Don't miss captains slate (Atlantis Dive Center) creature feature its a great addition to any trip.

As a pro in the keys we all have our thoughts about which shop is best. At the end of the day each shop has it's pro's and con's.

Lodging wise I would say first off don't worry about finding a hotel with onsite diving. Every shop in town has arrangements with the hotels through out key largo and can get you package deals. Also remember you don't have to dive with just a single shop during your stay. Based on what you have said in earlier posts and with you your son being figured in I would make the following suggestions:

1. Get a guide to dive with you guys. Your going to see more that way and have less to worry about.

2. Check out the following locations before you make a final decision on where to stay. Biggest thing to remember in Key Largo for the most part everyone goes to the same sites. Don't let any shops sell you on oh well we Dive in John Pennekamp Park cause every single shop in town does.
• Ocean Divers
• Silent World
• Atlantis Dive Center
• Rainbow Reef

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom