Need recommendation for small boats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waynel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Wife and I have been diving Coz for years. Dove Belize and Keys last year, so we're two years behind on any change. Over the years of diving Coz, wife and I dove from the big (sometimes 20 divers) boats. Belize was her first experience with six packs and she absolutley loved it. I was looking at Dive with Martin. Looks like they'll to a max of eight divers on their boats. True? And any other recommendations on Ops? She's not real concerned about having a cabin and head on a boat, she wants a fast boat and do the sits on the beach, if she can get it. Be on the island July 6. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Blue angel has small boats. I dive with DP, but don't mind the big boats. I know you can pay more at DP and get a small boat.

When my wife and I go to Cozumel go we use Aldora Divers, Opals Dream, or Scuba Mau they have spoiled us for all other companies because they are so good. So for us there is no need to look anywhere else. However; some of our friends really like Living Underwater, Scuba Tony, Papa Hogs, and Diving with Alison and have nothing but good thing to say about them. I believe all of these shops have the small fast boats. If you were to choose any one of these dive shops, I am pretty confident you will be extremely happy with your selection

Another vote for Aldora. They will match you with other divers of similar skill to try to keep the sites and depths and times fun for everyone on the boat, plus the steel 120's will give you nice long dive times. A little more expensive, but its worth it.

All the usual suspects will have fast 6 pack boats: Aldora, Blue XTSea, Dive W/ Martin, Living Under Water. All of those are what I call "Top Tier" service. Next down the list for less pampering (Fast small boat, a decent DM) are places like Papa Hogs, Roberta's Dive Ecp/Scuba Shack, Scuba Du etc etc.

The vast majority of the well known reputable ops on the island use 6-8 passenger fast boats. It all comes down to what service level you want to pay for and how long you want to stay down.

Blue XT Sea Diving | Michael and I started diving with Christi and her crew 10 years ago. Boutique professional service, fast 6 pack boats, SI on the beach, Long dive times (60 + min) based on individual use of air.

X2 for XTSea. They will keep your gear (minus wetsuit), clean it every day and have it on the boat ready to go when they pick you up. Just got back June 2 from two weeks with them. Awesome time.

There are a lot of "six pack" dive operators to choose from. To find one that you'll be happy with, you need to consider more than just the size of the boat and how many divers they put on a boat. You can get a more budget priced, less or no frills shop, or you can go up to a boutique or valet diving type shop, or something right in the middle. While all the shops mentioned so far have decent reputations and an established, repeat client base, their prices, service extras, diving style, types of tanks they use, etc., etc., will vary.

What are you looking for price wise? $60-65 for 2 tanks, or $85-95? Regular AL 80s, HP or LP steel 95, 100 or 120? Do you want beach surface intervals at a beach club or just on shore, or does that matter? Do you want snacks, drinks, towels provided? Do you want the shop to rinse and store your gear for you? Where are you staying and is pier pick-up/drop off a factor or can you go to the caleta to meet the boat? Decide on these things then look for the shop that best matches your criteria. There are shops in all price and service ranges in Cozumel that have the six pack boats.

We have been using Papa Hogs for several years and love them. Great DM's, great rates, flexible dive schedules, no-frills diving. SI on the beach, water provided, we don't really need the snacks provided during dives.

There are alot of reputable dive ops in Cozumel, so should be easy to find one you will be happy with. Probably the list of who "not to dive with" would be shorter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom