Needs of the Diving Industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Feel free to shoot me down on this, but it would be nice if there were "scuba diving parks" in various locations, like someplace that's relatively calm and safe for all levels of diving. I am thinking along the lines of ski resorts for scuba divers. They can be natural or artificial but some place where beginners and advanced divers can go, training can take place place and everybody can have fun.

(I know I know, we are gonna see answers like "Grand Cayman" "Cozumel" "Bonaire" "Phuket" etc.)

Along those lines what if the various dive manufacturers could do Demo's of their equipment? Wouldn't it be nice to borrow semi-new pieces for a few hours or a day rather than be subject to the beat up old rental shop crap?

I'll be quiet now.

divepa:
What about some technology ideas? Where do you feel the scuba industry lacks if you compare it to any other sporting industry? Are there certain things you can find or lookup online that you can't find online or DO online in the scuba industry?

You can do just about everything online except get air fills and actually dive. There are many good resources available on the www.

I really wish rebreather technology would become more prevelant, accepted, cheaper, etc. I have been interested in them ever since I started diving but due to lack of $$$$$ to throw at one of them (now anyway.... I've probably spent as much on SCUBA as a KISS would cost...) have never even had the chance to try one. Also only one dive shop (that I know of) in RI offers rebreather training AND purchases. I'm the type that likes to see and touch stuff before I buy it (unless I know exactly what I am getting) so having a unit in the store would be nice.

I also wish there were more upgradable dive computers, like the VR3 for instance. When you initially purchase a computer you might not have a need for gas switching/trimix/CCR/etc however as you progress you outgrow your computer and end up having to purchase another one. Why not make more that you can upgrade? I know the manufacturers make out that way but this is coming from a consumer. I know you could also forget about the computer all together, but I happen to like using one.

I'm sure I can come up with more but that's all I have for now.

Archer_Pensacola:
Feel free to shoot me down on this, but it would be nice if there were "scuba diving parks" in various locations, like someplace that's relatively calm and safe for all levels of diving. I am thinking along the lines of ski resorts for scuba divers. They can be natural or artificial but some place where beginners and advanced divers can go, training can take place place and everybody can have fun.

(I know I know, we are gonna see answers like "Grand Cayman" "Cozumel" "Bonaire" "Phuket" etc.)

Along those lines what if the various dive manufacturers could do Demo's of their equipment? Wouldn't it be nice to borrow semi-new pieces for a few hours or a day rather than be subject to the beat up old rental shop crap?

I'll be quiet now.

Without the sarcasm, isn't this essentially what most of the diveable quarries in the midwest function as?

gangrel441:
Without the sarcasm, isn't this essentially what most of the diveable quarries in the midwest function as?

Never been there so I can't say for certain. Like I said it's my thought on the matter, but I am sure there are things you don't like about the quarries (too cold, too hot, too deep, not deep enough, etc.) that could be engineered into the perfect "diving park" and make it fun for everybody.

My biggest problem with scuba is the incredible excess bulk and drag. Seems like streamlining is the last thing engineered into scuba equipment. I vote for "slippery gear"

mstudley:
You can do just about everything online except get air fills and actually dive. There are many good resources available on the www.
No, you can dive on the internet now too!

When you say parks, do you mean something more along the lines of Disney's living seas adventure or Seaworld's version of it? They are very controlled and safe(and expensive...45 minutes for the cost of a two tank boat dive), although my idea of fun is a little adventure and daring.

As far as humping gear...what's next, dive caddies? Buy a big wheeled bag and quit *****ing.

Back
Top Bottom