Needs of the Diving Industry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divepa:
What services do you feel that the diving industry lacks?? Curious to hear your answers.

divepa:
In another thread started by divepa:
Needs of the Diving Industry
After working in the diving industry for over 10 years now I have found many things that the diving industry needs. Can I get your opinion?

Maybe I'm wrong, divepa, but after reading the threads you started and visiting the website in your signature, it seems to me like you're doing some market research here?? If so, I'd rather prefer you openly stated so...

Datamining ain't no good!

G.P.

I have been recently posting that new divers should learn ASL fingerspelling during training for communication purposes. One word can usually convey what you want to say, for example... SICK, SCARED, or spelling name of fish or creature.

Gills. I would like to see artificial gills. However, allow the LDS to maintain and "charge" the membranes allowing the artificial gills to operate efficiently, in lieu of supplying compressed air or nitrox in a tank.

Public relations efforts to open dive sites. There are many lakes around here that are in state parks that would make for some good diving, but those responsible for them are totally closed-minded to allowing divers in them. Drunken fishermen, sure. Polluting picnickers, sure. Divers? Sorry, not allowed.

theskull

Masks for hard-to-fit faces. We have moldable mouthpieces, and it would be nice to have something similar for mask skirts.

divepa:
After working in the diving industry for over 10 years now I have found many things that the diving industry needs. Can I get your opinion? I'm very curious to what all of you think would be the biggest need or the biggest thing that lacks in the diving industry. I hope to get some good reponses... whether it is needs for equipment that is not developed yet, communication that is not there, services that you think are needed?

Thanks!

DivePa

I've noticed YOURS is NOT!

Serioulsy DivePa, if you are looking for ways to improve your site, and or operation certainly there is PLENTY of stuff on this site, free for the viewing.

One thing that comes to mind for me is competitive pricing in the Retail sector. After reading all the HYPE about how we need to support our LDS's I've come to the conclusion that the LDS's (NOT ALL) are basically screwing everyone from the Newbie, to the DM's to the Instructors, to the guy that just spent 5K in the last year on training and equipment... From everything I can tell after discussing this with MANY buddies who have used MANY LDS's in our area, the bottom line is everyone is getting somewhat ripped off EXCEPT for the Owners of said Dive OPS who are getting rather rich!

K, off my soapbox...

L8r

diversolo:
When you say parks, do you mean something more along the lines of Disney's living seas adventure or Seaworld's version of it? They are very controlled and safe(and expensive...45 minutes for the cost of a two tank boat dive), although my idea of fun is a little adventure and daring.

That definitely crossed my mind. Ocean diving in a more controlled atmosphere. But I think to be successful it would need to follow the pattern of ski resorts. Have varied terrain for different skill levels. Deep areas and shallow areas, caves, drift regions, etc. Maybe fresh/saltwater diving areas. Definitely need to integrate sea creatures into it. I assume the capital expenditure would be enourmous for such a venture, but it could go a long way to opening up SCUBA to the masses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom