Nerve-racked after first open water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NewDiverDan

Registered
Reaction score
After a successful pool training (unfortunately only in 5 feet of water) our class went for our first open water dive. I was wearing a 7mm wetsuit for the first time, 26 lb of weight. (I weigh 171 and am 48). Man, I felt like I was towing a barge. I got winded beyond belief trying to stay near the float while I demonstrated snorkeling skills. I thought I would drown trying to surface dive because I wanted air so bad. The ocean was 1.5 knot longshore current and a pain in the ass to keep up. It was a constant swimming chore to demonstrate skills and get back to the float. Man, I tired quickly and started getting scared I felt like I couldn't get a breath of air out there. I terminated the dive to figure out what was wrong. Felt like a loser. Any comment - first open water, I am not overweight, first wet suit farmer johns and top part. Began to fear I wouldn't be a good candidate for scuba. I am going out again tomorrow for the second try. Say something encouraging anybody!

Remember you can always drop your weight if you need to and with all that neoprene on you will float like a cork.

Make sure that suit is not so tight it is restricting your breathing...

Take your time and go with it, don't feel like you have to fight the whole time.

Stay calm and you will look back on it and be proud of what you accomplished!

Good luck in the morning!!

Jeff Lane

Good luck tomorrow! My first OW dive last summer was pretty rough also. I was exhausted before I even got into the water and then I kept rolling over. The second dive was better and so forth! I think that the best thing that happened for me was that my brother in law who is a more experienced diver, dove with me on the first post open water dive and his wife dove with my husband (my buddy). My husband and I did not have to worry about each other and his brother got me to slow down and relax .Before that dive I was really nervous. After, still somewhat nervous but hooked.Lots of practice really helps and once you get all of the pre-dive routine and the breathing down pat, that really helps.
Happy Diving!

Thanks all for the support. I will wear a larger 7mm. Make sure my fins are tight. Also my mask. I will NOT lose control of my breathing! I WILL RELAX!!

Take your time. Learning to scuba is not easy to do. You'll look back and laugh at some of the things you are doing and feelings you are having now. I speak with experience! Getting my C-card was a great moment, and I just love diving now. I bet you will, too.

Dive safely.

Don't quit! Most students are aprehensive to say the least and if things don't go exactly like they plan the stress starts stacking up.You made the right choice terminating the dive. You are not a loser, only smart divers terminate dives when they don't feel right. Try again and I will almost promise you that it will be better.
Good luck tomorrow.

Joe

You have to keep reminding yourself you're going into an alien environment. And the gear you employ to take you there safely is cumbersome and uncomfortable. It's pretty natural to start second guessing yourself. Think of it this way. If diving was really easy, wouldn't everyone be doing it?

But they aren't, and most will tell you it's because they'd love to, but they're afraid ... of the water, of claustrophobia, of boats, of the crazy gear, of failing, whatever. It's something lots of folks wish they could at least try, but something stops them, usually before they start. So why expect it to be a walk in the park?

I felt very nervous when I first tried it, and the conditions were ideal. I wanted to bail but pride kept me going, and curiosity. The first dive was something like 25', and I was impressed with me that I survived without quitting, bolting or freaking. Then I screwed up my courage and dived to 65' on a warm sunny reef. That took some mental arm-twisting too, but then after I'd done it, no problem. Then I went to 85' in a cold dark lake instead of nice warm sunny clear water. That was a leap of faith, but great once I got to the wreck and started snooping, but it was damned cold. Then I went to 115' in a different cold dark lake and it wasn't traumatic at all. In fact we did that wreck 3 times in two days and I actually got bored with it. Then I twisted my own arm again and did a cavern in Mexico. I was scared spitless for the first 30 seconds going in, and then I realized that what I was experiencing was just too cool to be scared. And on it goes ...

So to me it's pretty natural to be scared and uncomfortable when doing your first dives, and then later when reaching for the different plateaus as you progress through your dive experiences. Every now and then I find myself in an uncomfortable situation during a dive and I get the doubts. Why am I doing this to myself? I really need to get my sorry butt back to the natural air and stop this stupidity. Stuff like that. But then I give my head a shake and remind myself that I really can do this. The first dives are just a test you put yourself through to see if you have what it takes. Later you will look back and laugh at yourself, but for now just keep your wits about you and be a good new diver. Overcoming the fear brings it's own kind of rewards, and the diving brings the other good stuff later.

BTW. I was 50 the year I did my first dive.

Relax, and have some fun
Safe diving
JohnF

In addition to using a looser fitting wet suit so as not to constrict your chest, make sure your bc isn't riding up on you. Try to get hold of a crotch strap for your bc. Properly adjusted, that will keep your bc off your chest and allow you to breathe more easily. Equipment anxiety is huge when you're still getting used to all of it. Relax and you'll be amazed how well you do!

Brad

NewDiverDan,

I guess I have some questions about your class. You said that the pool was only 5 ft deep. Most agencies require confined water training, some of which must be in water to deep to stand. Most agencies will allow confined water training in confined open water instead of a pool but there is a specific definition for ehat is acceptable confined open water. The PADI definition is that it must be pool like conditions with regard to depth calmness and clearity. I'm thinking that confined water training shouldnt (per standards) take place in a current. I of course don't know for sure but maybe all your trouble isn't your fault. I find that students that are well prepared in confined water training make a pretty smooth and fun transition to open water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom