Nerve-racked after first open water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Relax. That is a really key thing. Undfortunately, it is not easy to talk yourself into relaxing. It is one of those "easier said than done" kinda things.

However, remember that MANY divers experience the kind of anxiety that you describe. Some more so than others. Many divers still feel anxious before dives even after 20 - 30 dives. It just takes some time to get completely comfortable, but it will come if you are patient.

For many the hardest part is learning to trust the gear and giving up the air source you have used all your life (the sky) and committing to the air source on your back. It is your unconscious mind that generates most of the fear, and that will take time to overcome. Just try to relax, and try to slow your breathing along with everything else.

It does seem that your confined water sessions did not completely prepare you for an angry sea. Try to find gentler conditions and try again when you are ready. Cancel if you need to, don't let pride put your life in danger.

Never be ashamed for calling a dive if you don't feel comfortable. Stupid would be to go ahead with a dive when you really don't feel right. Better to live to dive another day.

Read all these posts, because these people have "been there, done that" for the most part. They know what they are talking about. Believe us, once you get comfortable, you will have the times of your life underwater.

Wristshot
Monterey Trained

By the date of your last post I quess you've made your second dive by now. Hope it went better.

Reading your post was like DeJevu (sp?). My solution was to leave the bottom half of the wetsuit on shore. As long as I keep swimming I can hardly feel the cooler temperatures on that part of my legs that are exposed. Wearing just the top makes a world of difference in mobility.

Once your certified diving is much more fun and relaxed becouse you're not going through all those tasks. You can focus on enjoying the dive.

Good luck

Wow - lots of great advice and support - please mail and say how day 2 was.

So often students leave discouraged after day 1. It's not that they're getting worse - we've just raised the bar. On day 2 most students see a dramatic change in their ability and confidence.

However some points :

Wet suit - maybe too tight - I much prefer dry suits for this reason

BCD - is the chest strap too tight - I don't even bother with mine - it feels constricting on me

Weights - sounds like you got a lot of weight on - esp if you were strugg. to stay on the surface whilst doing the snorkelling skills

Exertion - finning is damn hard work - even for those of us who are use to it and have built up muscles to do it. Maybe your fins are too big. This will contribute to fatigue and being winded - esp on the surface.

Current - yep, conditions were not so good.

Remember - "any diver, at any time , for any reason, can abort any dive" - If you don't feel up for it - abort it - or at least say.

Two stories :

I was using another schools line to descend with a group of o/w students. We had just completed a surface swim. I'm sorry to say that as an instructor my focus was momentarilly shifted - I wanted to get the group down quickly - I forgot that we needed a breather.
A student used the above line on me and asked for more time - I was both delighted that the confined training I'd give stood him in good stead and he felt able to ask, but also embarrassed at having flipped out. If I can loose it for a second I'm sure others do too - therefore always say if you're not comfortable. If you aren't nor will others be.

Tell your Dive master / instructor - they are not Gods and sometimes make poor judgements.

After this I praised the student for having the nouse to speak up.

Just last month on holiday I experienced the "winded feeling" having had to rush off a charter boat. I couldn't drop, felt a bit panicky untill I rested. It can be a common thing - relax is the secret.

Good luck with your diving

Hi

First off, RELAX. Same thing happened to me 6 years ago. We were in a lake where the thermocline was at 15 feet. Water murky. I had full wet suit, hood, 50 pounds of lead to keep me under, couldn't see, couldn't relax. Got down to 15 feet, water temp was about 50 degrees. Had a mild panic attack. Felt like a hot dog stuffed in a tight skin. Did a fast surface to the top. My instructor talked to me and I told him my suit was the biggest obstacle. Got out on shore, got down to just the shortie wet suit plus 25 pounds of lead, took a deep breath and walked back in. Been diving ever since and love it. I felt particularly thrilled because I was getting my certification after the age of 40.

Good Luck you'll be fine. :)

Hey Newdiverdan

How'd your second day of diving go. I've been checking back every now and then to find out the answer. The anticipation is killing me.

Thank you extremely much everyone from all over the country for helping me feel better about my next dive. The weather at my location - I will not mention where, but it is the ocean - has been rainy, rainy, water temperature 50's when it is usually 80 at this time. BUT, my second dive is this Saturday at 10 am. I will update everyone afterwards. Thanks again.

NewDiverDan once bubbled...
Thank you extremely much everyone from all over the country for helping me feel better about my next dive. The weather at my location - I will not mention where, but it is the ocean - has been rainy, rainy, water temperature 50's when it is usually 80 at this time. BUT, my second dive is this Saturday at 10 am. I will update everyone afterwards. Thanks again.

Don't let the fact that at least half the diving world is poised on the edge of their seats awaiting the outcome. Don't even think of us when you don the gear and sink. 8)

Keep the faith and dive safe
JohnF

Your dive went about like mine. As soon as I hit the water, my weight belt let go as did one of the clasps on my mask. I managed to snag the weight belt with my left hand. I gave my instructor the sign I was in trouble and he was right there. I spat out my reg to tell him what was wrong and drank about a quart of seawater. I needed to inflate my BC but my hand was busy holding the belt. My instructor noticed it and inflated it for me. Just as I was about to give him the OK sign once we straightened everything out, I felt my stomach churn. I termninated the dive, smelled diesel fumes when I climbed onto the boat and spent the next little while "feeding the fish." I went back out the next weekend and everything went fine. Like you, I was winded on top of everything else. I'm 49 years old and had about the same amount of weight you did. Don't give up. I've had several pleasurable dives since then! The book warns that not every dive will be pleasant. We just got our "unpleasantness" out of the way early!

Good luck!

Ken

Don't give up. I also aborted my first dive (2 years ago). It was a choppy beach dive in Plymouth, MA with VERY low visability. I was wearing a very uncomfortable semi-dry suit, hood, gloves and a ton of lead. A lot of equipment for a new diver. I was uncomfortable and I panicked. I actually ended up doing my cert dives in a NH lake instead.

Eventually the panic/exhaustion/fear will get less and less as you get used to the feel of the equipment. Once that happens you can really begin to enjoy the amazing things you are seeing. I have done about 35 dives in warm and cold water, and just finished my Advanced OW.

If things don't go better on Saturday (but hopefully they will), think about doing your check out dives somewhere where the water is warm and clear!

It's worth it. Best of luck!

As you all promised and predicted, the new dive went better -- in fact -- fantastic. To ensure it did beyond the much improved weather conditions and visibility about four feet today vs. 8 inches last time, and 10 degree warmer water, I:

1. Wore a 5mm one piece! wet suit (the last one was 7mm double - you know, farmer johns and a top piece.

2. I reduced the weight to 24 lb.

3. I used an integrated BCD with the weight in it rather than a weight belt. I used on of those back floating type instead of the jacket type, which I now officially despise.

4. We had three students and two instructors.

5. I was NOT constricted in the suit.

6. I had my fins on tighter - I lost one because it hit the sand in the surf on the way back in and it drifted away.

7. I RELAXED more - tried to breathe longer and slower - that helped. Tried also to kick with my thights and knees more than my calves.

So, one more trip out and I should be certified with my "learners permit."

THANKS EVERYONE. YOU DEFINITELY HELPED ME. If you are an instructor, hopefully my experience can add to your instructional repetoire of skills and anecdotes.:)

Back
Top Bottom