New BP/Harness - Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baenglish73

Registered
Reaction score
My in-laws were incredibly generous and gave me a Halcyon SS BP/Harness for my 30th B-day. Now, I'll have to put out the word on a wing.

THE PROBLEM
Any suggestions on getting rid of the extra webbing? There is about 18" of webbing outside of the waist buckle and another 18-20" inside the waist buckle.

The webbing seems to be some type of nylon, so I was planning to cut the webbing and burn the ends with a lighter to prevent fraying.

THE REVIEW - After the setup, this is an incredibly secure rig.

It took about 30 minutes to get all the straps and D-rings into position. After that, this harness REALLY fits great! I was floored. I was convinced of its functionality beforehand, and now I know that this is the way to go.

First of all, it is more secure than my BC even without the crotchstrap. I hate my BC because the cumberband feels like it squeezes my diaphragm, and the whole thing tends to shift up and down no matter how much I tighten the straps.
With the harness, there is less bulk on my chest, diaphragm and sides. The belt works great because it cinches around the waist, This is the slimmest part of my torso, so there is no vertical movement once the buckle is cinched.

When I fasten the waist strap, the plate slightly leverages itself against my shoulder blades, pulling the shoulder straps securely into place. It is so secure I believe you could run in it without it moving. I give the fit and security a 9.9 out of 10. I'll leave the 10 for anything better if it exists.

I presume you've consulted the No Cal Beatnik for fitting the plate? Fitted it with your exposure suit on, right?

I recommend leaving the webbing long for a few dives until you get it sized in correctly. I understand its a Rule 6 violation, but fit over fashion until you get it dialed in.

For me, when I cut the waist band opposite the buckle, I rounded it off and then burned it...makes it way easier to get the webbing into the buckle.

Enjoy!

K

I had not consulted the Beatnik, thanks for the link.

I tried to decipher the images from the JJ's Fundamentals book to set the plate. The beatnik is much clearer.

Back
Top Bottom