New dive boat biz in the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDiver - Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier on this. I haven't quite figured out why this (and other) forum programs don't notify one via email of every reply. It says you have to first visit the site before it'll notify you again. Odd.

Anyway, it's a solo venture, although I have a number of neighbors around that could assist if, say, I was chartered for a cruise and one of the guests was in a wheelchair or on crutches. Otherwise, I act as captain and host, fetching drinks and making sure everyone's having a great time. I actually like having the excuse to run down below to grab fresh sodas because it gives me the chance to turn the wheel over to one of the guests and they always think that's a thrill, especially the kids.

Chuck

I love your philosophy, and I hope you can keep it without becoming cynical over time. Having been around dive charter boats quite a long time, it's usually what's get lost first as captains have to deal with inexperienced divers. I can't tell you how many captains and crews that I've seen who act like they can't stand the divers they're hosting, and I despise that attitude, and never go back when I see it.

Anyway, enough soap box. I may be interested in bring a group down from Pensacola. Do you do lobster trips? What about spearfishing? How much for the whole boat?

Florabama -

Good point about becoming cynical over time, although I have a pretty upbeat attitiude and character. And, having taught in different venues over the years, I'm used to newbies and their inexperience and don't mind it.

And there are different types of inexperience. I brought out two couples a few weeks ago who had just graduated from diving school and knew all the basics, but they didn't know how to dive a reef. I said, "Just jump overboard and start swimming around." An hour later they boarded the boat and couldn't stop talking about the stuff they saw all the way back to the dock. The mooring balls are usually parked directly over the reef, so "the good stuff" is kinda hard to miss. And diving in 20 feet of water is inherently pretty safe. For deeper dives, like the wrecks, I inquire ahead of time as to their experience and won't take them unless they've already done a few deep dives.

Re: lobster trips, never done one, and the rules are so bizarre (when and where and how many you can catch) that I probably wouldn't allow it unless the diver proved he or she knew the rules and made the case that it was legal for that particular time and place.

Re: spearfishing, it's fine with me as long as the law is satisfied. Three miles off the coast and no spearfishing in the state parks or sanctuaries.

As far as chartering the whole boat, well, it's first come, first served, as far as picking the reef. Otherwise, it's six people max, $65 a pop, one tank or two, and we'll do a second reef as long as it's close by. Brought a group of three out the other day and we first hit the Duane (a deep wreck), then stopped by Pickles Reef on the way back. The perfect day.

Chuck

Chuck,
Your boat looks great. It looks like a cool, easy diving comfortable,boat. Kudos for changing things up a little. The Mainship Sedan Bridge's are very nice. You may fit in our schedule for August. It would be a group of 5, mix of divers and snorkelers. Would you be able to do a 3 tank day if we stick to the closer reefs that are good for both divers and snorkelers? Also, can you provide tanks & weight ? How about some snorkeling gear? A whole day on your boat would be very nice. Looking forward to it.
Thanks,
Rog

Last edited:
I love the "mom and pop" philosophy; this is a dive I'd do in a heartbeat if we ever make it down that way. Nice job on the website as well, looking forward to visiting you one of these days, and welcome to the board!

Harry - Thanks for the nice words and warm welcome.

Rog - Yes, she's a great boat. Very light (only 20,000 lbs) so she's very responsive. Feels like a much smaller boat from behind the helm. And the bench seats on the swim platform look like they were designed for scuba divers and snorkelers from the get-go. You guys will have a blast.

Yes, we can make a day of it and do a 3-tank dive, although I'd feel obligated to ask for a little something extra since we're bending the rules. I'd suggest blowing two tanks on Molasses (because it's huge, goes from shallow to very deep and is quite diverse), then eat lunch, then mosey over to either French or Pickles for the third tank.

And do I presume that any snorkelers in the group will be experienced snorkelers currently in good condition? While the reefs are shallow by scuba standards, they're still deep enough to pose problems for 'weekend' snorkelers.

As far as gear goes, sorry, but I'm just a charter service, not a rental shop. There are tons of shops around, though, and they all do quality maintenance. I've never heard a single story of a dive shop's gear going bad, but I've heard a few stories of privately-owned gear having problems. And that's understandable. If word got around that a dive shop was doing shoddy maintenance, their reputation would be toast.

Hope to see you in a month or so!

Cap'n Chuck

Chuck,
Thanks for the reply. I assumed a 3 tank dive would cost a little extra, I was just asking if you could do it. It would make for a nice day.
I understand your not a dive shop, but have you considered just having tanks and weight available to your clients? I would think most vacationing divers would be bringing there gear, but minus tanks and weights. It is kind of a pain to get it seperately from somewhere else. It may make the difference for some clients when they are deciding on charters. Maybe thats just my opinion, but I would think the initial investment of say, 8-10 tanks, and some weight would pay for themselves pretty quickly. Most would be willing to pay a little extra for the convienience. I know I would.
Maybe it is a liability/insurance issue that I am overlooking? Compared to the investment in the boat and overhead expenses, a few tanks should be peanuts!
Please dont take this the wrong way, maybe its just my opinion. But it is a stumbling block for my decision. Thats why I brought it up. If it makes a difference to me, maybe others may feel the same ???? I would very much like to spend the day on your fine charter boat. Your attitude and philosophy are 1st class. The tank thing has me thinking though.
I am trying to put this the most eloquent way possible , so please dont take offence to it. Just a little constructive criticism, from a fellow business owner ( I am in the boat business, and I know your charter boat is a first class motor yacht!) If you, in any way take offence to this, I will delete the post.
All the best, and good luck.
Hope to dive with you over the summer........
Rog

Rog -

The problem with providing gear (of any type) is that I simply don't have any storage space. There are lots of great things about living in a marina, but having a big lockable storage area isn't one of them. Nor could I string them along the insides of the aft deck (as the regular diving boats do) because there are bench seats there and that's where people sit while suiting up. I admit it's a big minus for the biz, which is (in part) why I try to compensate by offering some things the regular services can't, like having no strict time limit for the dive.

The only good news is that at least people don't have to go out of their way to grab the tanks & belts, as there are dive shops every 50 feet in this area. And the dive shops will usually help loading and unloading them from the car, so the only real hassle is dragging them to the boat and back. And I specifically tell people on the directions page to call me when they get near so I can meet them in the parking lot and help out. I know it's a hassle (and I appreciate your suggestions), but there's just not much I can do about it.

Best regards,
Cap'n Chuck

Back
Top Bottom