New Diver needs advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There's a list of NorCal dive shops at
http://www.garlic.com/~triblet/ba_diving/

From Milpitas, the closest shops would probably be Aquatic Discovery, Diver Dan's, Anywater Sports and Bluewater Aquatics. Unfortunately, I haven't taken classes from any of them so can't make any recommendations, but I know others here have. Discover Scuba sounds like an excellent thing for you to try, as mentioned the cost is either free or nominal (the $25 price was refunded when I signed up for an Open Water class at the same shop). If you find you really can't get comfortable with the idea of breathing through a mechanical device, then scuba isn't for you, and you definitely shouldn't do it if that's the case - there's lots of other things to enjoy. If discover Scuba works out okay, then the long course suggested by tom in the next post sounds like it might be a good fit for you,, instead of the typically much shorter commercial course.

Guy

Guy

Last edited:
Hi Jaime, From your initial post I get a couple of things. 1) you can swim comfortably & 2) you have and can snorkel. That's a great start, you are ahead of probably 1/2 the students I teach.

The next thing I hear is that the idea of depending on a piece of equipment is tough to get your head around. The suggestion of trying a Discover Scuba Diving course in a swimming pool is a really good idea. Most of the time I hear (after the giggling stops) is "it's easier to breath underwater than it is to snorkel!" Yes, that is the case, the scuba regulator breaths easier.

The last impression I get is that it takes you a while to really trust something. So I would recommend that you enroll in the scuba class at West Valley College in Saratoga. This is a fifteen week course, one night a week, three hours per class. This would probably address all of the issues you have.

Good diving.

Hi Jamie,

I’ll admit - I was quite frightened the first time I put a regulator in my mouth and took that first breath underwater. I actually didn’t trust the equipment, felt uncomfortable, and had to surface by breath two. It’s not exactly natural.

Finding a recommended instructor that you trust will really help. Don’t pressure yourself to overcome fear. Never push yourself past your comfort level. Like others have suggested just try a Discover Scuba Dive (DSD) in the safety of a pool or in warm shallow water on vacation and see if you enjoy it.

Spend a little while with the equipment before you decide if you like SCUBA. My first DSD didn’t go very well, I couldn’t trust the equipment, and couldn’t breathe underwater, was terrified and couldn't even dive. But I tried again with a different Dive Master who literally held my hand and started helping me gain comfort in the water. On the second attempt I was much more comfortable and with continued training the comfort has grown and my dive experience has expanded :).

Please be gentle with yourself and if you enjoy the Discover Scuba experience then choose a solid, well recommended instructor.

Thank you for everyone has responded. I have given Scuba Divving alot of thought and would love to become Certified. I think the hardest part would be doing it alone and not knowing anyone in the Hobby. I have one friend that DIves in Monteray but he is always too busy I was wondering if thier is anyone who would be willing to hold my hand for my first time and introduce me to scuba. OR Does anyone know of any Private Instructors or Lessons? I am willing to do whatever it takes to overcome my fear. I am a very friendly person and I am always eager to make new friends. Please IM or PM if interrested

hi Jamie,

I am in S bay also. My wife and I took "discover scuba" pool courses for free at Wallin's in San Carlos and Diver Dan's in Santa Clara. Other local shops likely have similar free try-outs.

These courses are an excellent way to test your comfort level without making any financial commitments up front. It is completely unnatural to breath while underwater at first and it takes some getting used to. Take as many of these free tryouts at different shops as you need (and that the shops will allow you to do) to feel comfortable with moving forward with full certification. The free courses are generally done by instructors hoping to fill a roster for an upcoming certification course. It will give you an opportunity to experiance the instructors style and guage wheter it is the best fit for you.

You will also find that your experience in the discover scuba course will give you a head start on your certification that you'll appreciate having if you decide to do the full course.

Thank you for everyone has responded. I have given Scuba Divving alot of thought and would love to become Certified. I think the hardest part would be doing it alone and not knowing anyone in the Hobby. I have one friend that DIves in Monteray but he is always too busy I was wondering if thier is anyone who would be willing to hold my hand for my first time and introduce me to scuba. OR Does anyone know of any Private Instructors or Lessons? I am willing to do whatever it takes to overcome my fear. I am a very friendly person and I am always eager to make new friends. Please IM or PM if interrested

Most instructors will do private lessons. Naturally, they cost more. As to not knowing anyone in the hobby, you've already 'met' quite a few people on Scubaboard, and you'll run into them frequently in Monterey once you start diving; indeed, many will be happy to take you out diving with them after you get certified. A couple of times a year there's a Scubaboard 'Meet and Greet' dive, usually at a beginner site in Monterey, so you can put faces to names and personalities that you meet here, and dive with a variety of buddies. Joining a dive club (any dive shop can direct you to one, or you can check out California Diving News) is also a good way to meet dive buddies.

I'd recommend that you give Discover Scuba Diving a try on your own, and if you still find yourself having trouble after that I expect you'll find people who will be willing to go with you on your next attempt. In fact, I'll do so.

Guy

Back
Top Bottom