New Diver needs BCD Help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think ya should try different bcds once you go to harness style there is no going back! weather it is the dive rite transpac or a backplate and harness from Halcyon. Another nice recreational unit is the scubapro knight Hawk !!

Definately try a bunch . Do you want Jacket style, back bouyancy, Harness and so on and so on!! :)

Here i am in a Diverite Transpac in the Carribbean!! I also use it for wrecks and deep technicall Dives although I do prefer the backplate and Harness for Trimix...

You can easily get into a Halcyon wing, BP, and harness for under $500. I would go with a Fred T plate and harness combo to save some money though.

Good luck.

Mike

Hi std63,

I used to own and recommend the SeaQuest Pro QD jacket BC... until I bought my Halcyon backplate and wings!!! One of the advantages of a BP/wings not many people bring up is one size generally fits all - after a few dives you just trim any excess webbing from the harness, and you can replace the entire webbing in the harness for about $20 if you need to.

Cost for a single wing package is around $500-$650, depending where you shop. Aftermarket backplates can bring the cost down a little, and may actually be better quality. Weight integration is also available (known as "Active Control Ballast", or ACB).

Best thing you can do is not rush out and buy something straight away. This board is a really useful source of information, and browsing some of the earlier posts in the BC forum should answer a lot of specific questions you may have about any particular BC.

Regarding BP/wings - I've only read one posting on this board EVER from someone who had tried and didn't like the Halcyon, and they had only tried it on in a shop, and didn't go diving with it, because it felt uncomfortable. In the water it's the most comfortable thing you can strap to your back, until we figure out how to ask wild dolphins for a ride :)

Ben

I'll toss in another recommendation for the Halcyon rig, or bp/wings. I am not sure where anyone gets the idea that it is not comfortable, unless it is not set up correctly. It literally disappears underwater. Forgett what it looks like on land, you can already maneuver on land fine, you need something that will help you underwater.

Q: But let me ask you this, how many online vendors, manufacturers, local dive shops, independent dealers, etc. will let you take their gear and use it how you see fit for a full month, and then return it if you do not like it?

A: Halcyon gear at Extreme Exposure (let me know if there are any others)

Tommy

I like the looks of the Seaquest Balance. It appears to be similar to my BC, an older Seaquest Dimension 3, a minimal but elegantly designed setup.

I will also place my vote for a back pack and wings. I have used a DiveRite (another backpack and wings manufacturer) system for awhile and i purchased a halcyon Explorer Wing last week.

i agree with Ben, dont rush out and buy anything. And yeah you cant go wrong with ordering from EE, 30 day money back garuntee!

TMD

i wish i never bought my first jack style BCD, after diving a backplate and wings system the difference is NIGHT and DAY!

Uncomfortable???
Out of the water???
You have got to be kidding!!!

Yesterday I put new webbing on my backplate....
That yearly adventure set me back about $12....
So I get the thing all strung up, put it on and cinched it down....
Then I ran in here and sat at the computer for and hour or so....

When you can't go diving for what ever reason....
Strap your backplate on and go about your business....
You will feel much better.

:wink:

while you type? Steel doubles? Aluminum 80? The image of a person sitting at the couputer all rigged up is too funny!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom