New Diver needs BCD Help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by scubanole
...the BP, wings, STA, and Keel pouch cost $200...

Scubanole,

Where did you get that setup for that price? Was it used? The wings alone usually cost $200+ Inquiring shoppers want to know!

Thanks,

Chris

Find a club or group of divers. I have found most of the divers in these clubs are happy to let you try their top of the line equipment-they are very proud of it and want to show it off -and that benefits you. You might be able to try a lot of different equipment in this way. I would be happy to let divers try my gear-I love it and I hope others would too. Learning, teaching, exhanging ideas(and gear for that matter) is all part of the fun of diving. On numerous occasions I have offered divers I have met to try my U/W camera($3500 bucks worth of camera). They have all declined siting that it was "too expensive of a camera and that if something happened they would have to pay for it and would feel badly for having damaged it" I reply "and those reasons are exactly why I WOULD let you use it"

My local dive shop won't let you try anything new on in their pool since then they consider it "used". So you don't get to try anything just buy. Might as well buy on the internet.

Chris,

Yes I bought it used. The person I bought it from said he didn't like it. I think the wing might have been too small for what he wanted. Any way I could not pass up the deal even if I didn't like it.

Another vote here for the Halcyon system.

I started out with jacket style BCs (and have been forced to rent them on occasion since), but came to detest them. I was overjoyed when I switched to a backplate system, even though it wasn't optimized for single-tank diving (the wing was 55lbs).

The Halcyon IS optimized, assuming you choose the appropriate wing module(s) for your type of diving, and they pay a great deal of attention to detail. If you're the DIY type, that might be a bit disappointing, but I appreciated having the backup light retainers and hose retainers already installed.

The storage pack is another useful option.

The best price I found on Halcyon gear was from www.lloydbaileysscuba.com/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom