New Diver needs BCD Help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Campana
while you type? Steel doubles? Aluminum 80? The image of a person sitting at the couputer all rigged up is too funny!

Well actually I was rigging up my old plate with a Halcyon 27# Pioneer wing w/o STA and so I had to try it with a steel lp 104 and the a hp102...

But that was just out in the garage doing jumping jacks....
Shane had to work.... imagine that... and I was left to dry...

So then I took the other plate... a new one for my double 104s...
And just to get the straps adjusted right I put it on....
It felt so good (w/o tanks) that I left it on for awhile....

That's when I came in here and got on the computer...
I'm sure glad my wife was outside working in the yard...
And didn't see my pathetic display of dry diver...

Originally posted by Arduous
I cast a vote for the Zeagle line, ... works for me.

I really liked my Zeagle Ranger....
I dove it for 5 years and then tried a BP/wing...
Sold it for $325... (pays to take care of your gear)

I know some think that a BP/harness/wing is overkill for recreational diving but until you try one you just can't imagine how great they are.

The Ranger used to flop around no matter how tight I had the straps and cumberbun.

The BP/harness is a solid hook up... even with this new wing w/o the STA...

The Ranger added a lot of extra bulk....

The BP/harness hardly shows from the front... or the side for that matter...

The Ranger added buoyancy with all that bulk and that added weight to the pockets....

The SS BP/harness allowed me to trim my total weight significantly and positioned it much better...

The wings are easy to change out for different buoyancy requirements.... I have a 45# singles wing that I could use if I were diving with a stage and scooter besides my back gas.
I also have a 27# wing that I can use if I am just diving a single and want the minimum drag.

They first time you use a BP/harness/wing and give a few kicks and then GLIDE through the water you will realize how much energy/effort the standard BC is costing you through excessive drag.

With a Fred T. backplate there are so many possibilities to fit it correctly. Fred makes "short" and "long" plates, "heavy" and "light" plates.

Then add whatever wing you want to and you have the ultimate diving machine.

I just purchased a Halcyon with Pioneer wing....

But aside from the Transpak II and the Ranger... I saw an Aqualung "Malibu", and it "looked" like a jacket style back inflater that you might want to look at. I have heard good things about it...... and it sells for under $400.

DiveInn.com has a the Mares Synchro Power Tech(long name) for only $325.00. It's a great deal if you don't opt for the backplate and wings. Leisurepro has the Zeagle Ranger for $395.00-that's a good price too.

I noticed that you posted a question about purchasing a BC back at the beginning of November and are still looking for information. I'm glad to see that you're taking your time and learning all you can about the gear before you make any decisions.

Answers to gear questions are like icebergs: they only change slowly and much of the important stuff is hidden from sight. There have been a ton of discussions on this board over time about virtually every piece of gear imaginable and for someone who is looking for in-depth information about anything specific, using the search function is a great way not only to get more details but also to spot slow-moving changes in the gestalt opinion.

Personally, I'd suggest that newbies buy the cheapest piece of functional equipment that they can find. Everyone ends up hating the first thing they buy, anyway, so it might as well be something junk that you won't regret having wasted a weeks paycheck on.

How come there's no tongue in cheek emoticon?

Reefraff,

I basically did that, I hated the rental BC, so I went to a second hand sports store and bought a used dacor jacket BC for $99. I didn't really know what I wanted at first, but I knew I didn't want to rent. After reading here about B/P and wings I wanted to try a set at Ginnie Springs(I have yet to make it to Ginnie). I did buy a Halcyon SS BP with the 18lb pioneer(wish it was 27) wing without trying any other BC. I know I should have tried others, but the BP, wings, STA, and Keel pouch cost $200. I figured if I did not like it I could sell it and get my $200 back. Everything worked out for me in that I love it , but you do need to try different BCs and don't rush into it. Unless you find a great deal. From the first time I used the halcyon it has not budged underwater, there is no movement at all unlike the Jacket BCs I tried that rode up over my head.

Back
Top Bottom