new diver, some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuck - you are absolutely right, with 30 pounds and 1000 psi I couldn't sink, but with 32 pounds I went down like a rock.

zen_man: Monterey rocked, even in 5 feet of vis. How long/how many dives? I am kinda scared of the cold, but trying to get my gear together the dry suit is half of the cost :-(

How long/how many dives?

We did four dives, two on Saturday and each was about 35-40 minutes. Yeah, it was a blast even though the vis wasn't that good.

I am kinda scared of the cold,

I am a wuss when it comes to cold water! But, my wetsuit seems to handle it just fine around here.

Chuck Tribolet:
What book? The tank material isn't relevant given the facts presented.

Are you beating on that dead horse again? :deadhorse: Anyways...

Shame on you for picking on a little kid Mr. Tribolet. Just because you have a big giant library in your head filled with diving information, you don't need to throw the bookshelve at him. Now I curse you! First you will get an angry mob. :angrymob: Then your hair will turn from gray to super white and then one day, your hair will fall off completely slowly and painfully, and then it your hair will be like a pile of haystack, except its white. And after that, you can't wash your hair ever again! Bye.

RoyN:
Are you beating on that dead horse again? Anyways...

Shame on you for picking on a little kid Mr. Tribolet. Just because you have a big giant library in your head filled with diving information, you don't need to throw the bookshelve at him. Now I curse you! Your will hair turn from gray to super white and then one day, your hair will fall off completely, and then it will be like a pile of haystack, except its white. Bye.

Easy Jr... How about a little respect for our esteemed older brother...

Besides you don't know what Mr T. can do.... "Pity the fool...." :D

(Ok you 80's guys know who that is)

Ben_ca:
Easy Jr... How about a little respect for our esteemed older brother...

Besides you don't know what Mr T. can do.... "Pity the fool...." :D

(Ok you 80's guys know who that is)

You stay out of this Medium Sr., no more beating dead horses for you!
:deadhorse:

Anyways, :focus: before I can't breath because of all this laughing.

When I was diving wet, I used to think "It's really not that cold. All those drysuit divers are a bunch of wuss." Now that I have a drysuit, I think "All those wetsuit divers are crazy for not diving dry." My big mistake is that I promised by daughter that she can have my drysuit when she is as tall as me. When I promised her that, I estimated that I had about 3 years before she was as tall as me. Last year she grew 4 inches. At the rate she's growing, I will be diving wet next winter. :rofl3: It's really not that cold right?

Minh

zen_man:
My wife and I have AquaLung flex 7mil wetsuits and hooded vests, the temp was 47 degrees and we were both fine. The coupel we were diving with wore drysuits and they were impressed that we didn't get cold at all(though, I felt it in my fingers).

zen_man:
We did four dives, two on Saturday and each was about 35-40 minutes. Yeah, it was a blast even though the vis wasn't that good.

I am a wuss when it comes to cold water! But, my wetsuit seems to handle it just fine around here.

That will all change when you start doubling your dive times. A drysuit is the only way to extend your bottom times. Staying warm and comfortable will allow you to slow down and burn less air and energy. Diving slow and seeing more is my favorite way of diving. Last time we did an 80 minute dive in 46 degree water, both of us were cold in our drysuits, and we even added extra weight to loft our suits with more air.

ROY :confused: Have some respect :no

Peter_C:

Not until final exam period when I go back to normal. This is also a period when I breakdown and can cause some people's hair to grow gray. Anyways, back to study. :rofl3:

Peter_C:
That will all change when you start doubling your dive times. A drysuit is the only way to extend your bottom times. Staying warm and comfortable will allow you to slow down and burn less air and energy. Diving slow and seeing more is my favorite way of diving. Last time we did an 80 minute dive in 46 degree water, both of us were cold in our drysuits, and we even added extra weight to loft our suits with more air.

I fully agree Peter. I was just saying that diving wet seems to be meeting my needs at this time and that technically, you can dive in high 40 degree water and be comfortable in a wetsuit. I did do four dives in one day and it kept me warm. But, I can definitely see the advantage of using a drysuit once I have longer bottom times and dive to deeper depths. Judging by sandapanda7 comments, he seems like a fairly new diver (13 dives) and I wanted to make the point that he can dive Monterey in a wetsuit as many people do. But, I really don't know his diving habits or bottom time or his skill level and it may be that a drysuit is perfect for him.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom