New equipment and Internet purchase questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no need to be afraid of purchasing on the internet. The most important thing to research is whether a company is an authorized dealer. If they are then you receive the manufacturer warranty with your purchase. If you buy from an unauthorized dealer and something goes wrong with the product then you will end up paying a good chunk of money to have the product fixed. This is the main concern with buying on the internet. Another tip for buying on the internet is to find a compnay that is not only located on the internet but also has local dive stores. This way you can go to the store to try things out or exchange products if something you received via internet doesn't work for you.

Check out Scuba Gear |Scuba Equipment Discount | Snorkel | Dive Equipment | Buy Scuba Diving Equipment | Divers Direct

They are an authorized dealer. They guarantee the lowest price. They have a great selection of dive gear, apparel and accessories. Plus they have several stores throughout the state florida.

if the difference is only $200 for the whole shebang I would buy from the LDS. Stay on your LDS's good side.

I agree here! 200$ is not a lot for a whole setup! I bought my gear from LP despite the moral dilema (support LDS), but the difference was 100%! Yes, half price!!!!! I had no choice...:shakehead:

I mean no offense to either of you but these kind of posts drive me crazy! Why should anyone spend $200 to stay on a retailers good side or think saving money is some sort of moral dilemma? If you want to buy at the LDS fine but they should have the same price as everyone else. Just because a business is close to you does not entitle them to more money. I'd take the $200 i saved and buy even more gear from the place with the better price! :D

The most important thing to research is whether a company is an authorized dealer. If they are then you receive the manufacturer warranty with your purchase. If you buy from an unauthorized dealer and something goes wrong with the product then you will end up paying a good chunk of money to have the product fixed.

IMHO, the mfgr's "limited" warranty is often just a "Red Herring" and usually costs the consumer more than it is worth. The primary "unauthorized" dealer, Leisurepro, provides their own warranty and it works about as well. Even when you buy from places like Ebay that offer no warranty, most scuba gear is very reliable and the savings more than offset the lack of a warranty for a smart buyer.

A $150 difference on a complete package is fairly competetive. I'd have look at those 2 options from a total value standpoint to make the purchase decision. For example, is this the LDS that will sell me parts so I can service my own regulators vs. the internet dealer who refuses to provide such support?

I prefer to support local businesses. The internet & Wal-Mart are killing the little guys. $200 less shipping isn't worth it in my book. Plus the added bonus of the local service.

excellent answer..For the $150./$200. you save on internet purchase you lose with the service and help you may get from the local store..Does the store have a pool? When you need to try out something you have before a trip I am sure the pool would be available to you at no cost if you did training and purchased gear there.Need something repaired immediately or need a loaner? The local store most likely would do this for you,would an internet store do it? Need advise on an upcoming trip or a local dive spot?Local can help.Internet store cannot.Can the internet store go over the type of diving you like and equipt you properly for it and see that the gear fits properly?Local store can..The $200. spent is returned to you many times over .You trust them to teach you to dive(most important expense in this activity)why not trust them to equip you for the type of diving you plan to do?

LP beats the price of my dive shop by about $200. I

So LP beats your LDS by $200. You've read all the other responses...

why not ask your LDS to meet you "half way" on the LP price and try to buy from them. If they will come down another $100 bucks, the convience of buying it local if you've ever got a problem is well worth it. That and they'd rather have you as a customer and make a little money than to make no money at all....

give it a try.

Thanks all. Codmans experience, (although it probably doesn't happen all the time) is the nightmare I usually end up in for some reason.

I think I'll go with the LDS (not the Mormans)for this one, but I still have no problem wiht internet stuff for smaller items and incidentals, I see some real good deals on lower cost items.

Rick

:police:I am a civil servant, I am not allowed to have my own opinion

Local Dive Stores love cash, particularly at the end of the month. Get their best price, and bring along the green stuff. I have always got 10% off this way, and usually more. Let them pay the sales tax, too. Tell them, "Here is the cash I have for you today, otherwise I gotta go home".

If they don't respond, head for the door. I have heard the guy say "Wait, wait!" as my hand touched the knob. This approach can work for anyone.

Happy shopping.

John, no offense taken. Let me explain my point of view...

Well moral... yes it is for me... That's just how I am. I much prefer encouraging the little guys when I can. They can't compete with the big guy prices because of buying power, cost of stocking gear, more employees, etc.. etc. etc... SO for me, it is a little bit of a moral choice...

Also, as others have stated, you do get more for your money with a good LDS. Trying gear on, good advice, actually seing what you are buying before forking out the cash... There are several advantages to buying LDS. And for me, when the price difference isn't all that great, the advantagees outweigh the savings in $$. In this example, I don't think the 200$ savings would be worth it for me (as well as the hasle, especially if it's delivered UPS :shakehead::shakehead:).

But as I said, for greater savings (I saved over 1000$), the choice is obvious.

Just my 0.02$

I mean no offense to either of you but these kind of posts drive me crazy! Why should anyone spend $200 to stay on a retailers good side or think saving money is some sort of moral dilemma? If you want to buy at the LDS fine but they should have the same price as everyone else. Just because a business is close to you does not entitle them to more money. I'd take the $200 i saved and buy even more gear from the place with the better price! :D

I'm a firm believer in supporting your LDS, but the one you talked to sucks. I'd find another.

Trying to make a sale by using negative tactics is not the sign of a good shop. Using positive tactics -- price matching, incentives, pointing out their positives instead of other shops' negatives -- those are the signs of a good shop.

You can always spread the $$ around a bit more, like getting the reg from the LDS & other stuff from ScubaToys, (or whomever) ScubaToys is often called the "Best dive shop in [insert city name here]" because their "sales counter" is only as far away as your mailbox.
Some factory authorized dealers are prevented from selling "mail order" by the dealer agreements they have to sign. (myself included)
There are also fixed pricing agreements where they're not supposed to discount by more than $xx or xx%. That's where I draw the line though, I dislike fixed pricing/price fixing immensely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom