New Equipment Set Approval

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if wreck diving is in your horizon, then a robust stream lined BC is a must. Now also consider if you will be diving Doubles. ( I know your a new diver) but you have a good opportunity here to get the right gear right from the get go.

Wreck diving is very particular. Especially if you will penetrate a wreck. It requires alot more training and a lot more control than just floating around in the deep blue or green water...:wink: That BC you are looking at is bulky. This is what you want to avoid. You want small streamlined gear, less is more. This is where you would go towards a Back plate and wing. This will be a very versitile kit. You can dive a single tank for now and then graduate to a set our double. You would only need to swap out the single wing for a slightly larger doubles wing. The back plate and harness will grow with you regardless of the type of diving you will do. Its the rght choice for wreck diving. Its more streamlined than a conventional BC and will stand up to the test of time. The only things you will change is the webbing for the harness system. Cost less that 20$ ,compared to changing a BC for something else. Also you can swap out wings with out any hassles. go from a single set up to a doubles set up with one harness configuration. - But that is a whole other conversation.

Now if your goal is to just dive around, visit wrecks now and again and travel.
I would suggest this BC; Stiletto - Recreational BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems
- Its small, light weight and streamlined for a weight integrated BC. It dives well and works in both cold water and warm water environments. Its tuff.

Also if you want to stick with a BC and want to do a little more cold water diving or Ice diving for that matter, I would highly suggest this - again from Zeagle
Ranger - Heavy Duty BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

-Its one tuff back inflated BC. I used this under the ice many many times and it also travels well. Integrated weight system. Simple rip cord design, one pull and off come the weights. This Back inflated BC is made for extrem diving in harsh environments. Like Ice diving and cold water diving.

This is also my opinion - so take what you want from it.

New change, after reading a few treads, mostly this one, relating troubling stories about Mares' weight system. I am thinking of switching from the Mares Dragon to a Black Diamond from Aqualung. I know it's a bit bulky and slightly more expensive. But it seems well worth it, especially after reading about the problems related to the dragon...

Any opinions, or recommendation?

Also if anyone has an answer about my previous post on the spring strap and the NiteRider Blackwater 3000, I would be grateful.
I was thinking maybe Sport Chalet has it. It's one of the dealer on the NiteRider web-page. But I don't know if they sell this model specifically. Does anyone has seen it in store?

Wreck diving is very particular. Especially if you will penetrate a wreck. It requires alot more training and a lot more control than just floating around in the deep blue or green water...:wink: That BC you are looking at is bulky. This is what you want to avoid. You want small streamlined gear, less is more. This is where you would go towards a Back plate and wing. This will be a very versitile kit. You can dive a single tank for now and then graduate to a set our double. You would only need to swap out the single wing for a slightly larger doubles wing. The back plate and harness will grow with you regardless of the type of diving you will do. Its the rght choice for wreck diving. Its more streamlined than a conventional BC and will stand up to the test of time. The only things you will change is the webbing for the harness system. Cost less that 20$ ,compared to changing a BC for something else. Also you can swap out wings with out any hassles. go from a single set up to a doubles set up with one harness configuration. - But that is a whole other conversation.

Now if your goal is to just dive around, visit wrecks now and again and travel.
I would suggest this BC; Stiletto - Recreational BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems
- Its small, light weight and streamlined for a weight integrated BC. It dives well and works in both cold water and warm water environments. Its tuff.

Also if you want to stick with a BC and want to do a little more cold water diving or Ice diving for that matter, I would highly suggest this - again from Zeagle
Ranger - Heavy Duty BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

-Its one tuff back inflated BC. I used this under the ice many many times and it also travels well. Integrated weight system. Simple rip cord design, one pull and off come the weights. This Back inflated BC is made for extrem diving in harsh environments. Like Ice diving and cold water diving.

This is also my opinion - so take what you want from it.
Hi thanks for your answer, indeed a friend of mine also recommended a BP&W but I don't know anything about it and I don't want to buy something wrong... As you said I don't have many dives and for now I only want to dive around as you said. I live in Switzerland and there isn't much diving here. So I dive exclusively on vacations.

I also looked at the Ranger. (Not impossible that I might dive in cold water one day.) But I don't really like the release mechanism for one reason: It seems difficult to reset the system once I rip the cord and it seems impossible to do it underwater... and I am afraid I might rip the cord accidentally, or during a training exercise ( I will do my Divemaster this summer with my new gear).
Did this ever happen to you or did had to reset the system underwater?

Nope I never ever had to ditch weight. If I had I would not be resetting it underwater for sure. It is a simple set up, it will not release on its own. Its a rip cord system. and can be reset easily.

I had my Ranger during my DM course and rescue courses. Never did I feel I would hook the rip cord.
Aside note. Some integrated weight BCs tend to open or unclip the weight pouch, I have seen this many times. That was why I went with Zeagle at the time. But you also have to make sure you close the zippered pocket on the Zeagle. Teh weight pouch can fly out. But it easily put back.

The Stiletto is a great travel BC and is robust to say the least. It will serve you well until you are ready to make the jump.

A Back Plate and wing is the simplest of design. No frills and you can configure it as you need. You cannot go wrong.

Which ever you chose, just make sure you close/clip the weight pockets properly.

Thank you very much for you answer.

I will look into the Zeagle more carfully.
However I also stumbled upon the SeaUqest Balance, which doesn't seem very bulky and has a good weight system.
What do you think about that? It is also less expensive and I can get t serviced in Switzerland easily. (That was also a problem with the Zeagle which is not sold in my country...)

For a BC its a good one and if service is your concern then I would go with that.

Generally, servicing ones own gear is recommended in my opinion. Knowing how it works and knowing how to do a quick fix in the field will serve you well. Learn gear service by taking an Equipment course. its not a dealer course its just a know how on all types of dive gear.

Basically recreational, for the most part, you will understand how regs work and be able to service your own gear to a point. If you are handy with a screw driver and some duck tape you can fix most anything...Duck tape is the best divers first aid for most gear repairs...:)

Generally, servicing ones own gear is recommended in my opinion. Knowing how it works and knowing how to do a quick fix in the field will serve you well. Learn gear service by taking an Equipment course. its not a dealer course its just a know how on all types of dive gear.

Basically recreational, for the most part, you will understand how regs work and be able to service your own gear to a point. If you are handy with a screw driver and some duck tape you can fix most anything...Duck tape is the best divers first aid for most gear repairs...:)
My biggest concern for servicing is about the warranty as I think it has to be serviced once a year to keep the warranty valid (I know it's the case for the regs.)
I will probably take an equipment course. I am really interest in knowing how everything works I watched videos and read a lot about the mechanism of scuba equipment. And I am quite handy with a screwdriver :wink:
And thank you for the advice on duck tape, I will buy every kind of duck tapes for my diving kit! :D

You seem to be in a similar spot that I was not too long ago. I have about 30 logged dives and just got my Advanced Cert. Keep doing your homework unitl you actually decide and purchase. The people here on SB are a wealth of knowledge and experience. The one thing I can add is that I too decided on the Mares Dragon. It's a great BC...very comfortable in the water and the weight integration is top notch. You will enjoy it, but make sure it's definitely what you want. I had mine for about 6 months when I decided that I no longer wanted a Jacket style BC. I have now switched to a BP/W and sold my Dragon. There's no comparrison! The BP/W trims out excellent and now I don't have to use any extra weight. If you can, borrow or rent a BP/W to try to see how you like it before you decide.

Hi. Since you're such a new diver and not quite sure of what your needs are yet, why don't you just go a little easier on the equipment purchases. I'm sure you'll be able to add on to your collection as you figure out what you need. Another option would be to buy second hand. It'll be cheaper and if you don't like it, dump it. Also, buy just the absolute basics and necessities and see what others are using in the environment you're in.

I'm currently in Europe as well. There is a lot of good equipment from around here. Also bear in mind the K.I.S.S. principle (not the rebreather) works.

I would go with xtx 50 instead of 100 and get the same xtx50 octo. You will not notice a diff between the reg but have the same second stage

Besides i would buy a simple brass and glass spg and a wrist compass and computer. Consoles are very difficult to use for controllong tge depth

I know it's an old post and I'll be ressurecting it (well 1 month isn't so long ago)

Did you finally buy your gear?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom