New HOG TECH FIN foot pocket dimensions for L, XL, and XXL anyway

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was using Volo Powers and just went back to them. But will try these as soon as I figure out what size. I'm curious too, where did they split? I only used them on a few dives (I bought them on SB as well).

Hollis would most likely replace your F1's. I'd contact them directly and get that going.

I have F1's in XL and also ordered the HOG Tech 2 in XL. Doing a side by side comparison, the pocket dimensions are almost identical, with the F1 having slightly more volume. I had hoped the Tech 2 would have a taller foot pocket but I did not find that so. Not sure about the XXL sizing, but XL is equivalent between the two fins IMO.

What size boots are you wearing with the XL?

My barefoot size is 10EE with a high instep.

With the F1 XL I have worn a size 10 soft sole bootie, 11 hard sole, and a 13 soft sole. The 11 hard sole is a tight fit vertically made worse by a rubber layer on top. With a drysuit sock the size 13 bootie is a better fit.

I dove Saturday and tried on a pair of F1 XXL with my size 11 hard sole booties. This combo would work but the bootie goes far into the fin pocket and is a somewhat loose fit. So XL is my size.

I'm a size 10 wearing 3mm neosport boots. (See link) Henderson Neo-Sport 5 mm Boots with Zipper

I wore a Hollis F1 and it was maybe a tiny bit big but very dive-able. I tried the Hog XL's today and they are too big. The height and depth seems good but they are very side on me. I can get a finger tip in on each side. The metal strap is loose on me also. However it looks like that can be adjusted 1/2" on each side for 1" total. That might be fixable.

So my question is.... are their any boots out their that add to the width of your foot? Maybe thicker soles would bend the pocket up and inward on the sides?

---------- Post added July 11th, 2013 at 07:20 PM ----------

I just adjusted the spring strap. Taking it in 1" was perfect. The foot pocket is pretty flexible. I think I just need to get some booties with thicker soles and it'll take the shape of my foot.

I wore a Hollis F1 and it was maybe a tiny bit big but very dive-able. I tried the Hog XL's today and they are too big. The height and depth seems good but they are very side on me. I can get a finger tip in on each side. The metal strap is loose on me also. However it looks like that can be adjusted 1/2" on each side for 1" total. That might be fixable.
That is odd. I did the same side by side fitting of the XL F1 to HOG Tech 2 and to me the F1 had a bigger foot pocket. My foot even went further into the F1 pocket compared to the HOG. I guess that goes to show just how personal the fit of a fin/bootie and foot are.

You are trying the HOG Tech 2 fin, right, not the old HOG fin?

Yup, they are the new Hog Tech 2's. I can get all four fingers in almost to the third knuckle. The wobble on me when I shake my foot.

I'm going to look for some rock boots or similar today. I'm thinking this might be the better solution then going down to size L. Comments?

I would try a hard soled bootie before going to a smaller fin. The hard sole definitely makes the bootie both wider and taller. But the hard sole needs to fit the shape of your foot, so you might want to try them on before buying. Overall, I'd rather have a slightly loose fin than too tight, both for comfort and ease of doffing and donning.

Jim, how do the dimensions of the Tech 2 compare to the old fin? How bout the buoyancy?

I got to try my new Tech 2 fins yesterday. I went with an XXL based on the measurements. Wearing Pinacle hard sole boots (old style) like these
th
- size 12 the fins were loose. I had lots of room in the toe box. I think they will be perfect with my drysuit boots that were always too snug in my old fins.

The fins perform great and were easy to dive, even being a bit loose.

Back
Top Bottom