New octo reg needed- pointers welcome!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I test my octo every couple of years to make sure it still works. It always has. I matched my primary and paid way too much for it. My buddy has a $70 Mares Octo - it always works when he does the same thing every couple of years. The advantage to his is that it's a side exhaust with a rotating hose connector so when you had it off it's not upside down. Aqualung makes one also but it's more expensive ($139?)

Buy the same brand as your primary if you want them to be serviced at the same dealer. Or any other brand they also service.

Hog is a good choice for DIY reg service but frankly their dealer network - especially once you leave the U.S. - is pretty non-existent. You can always buy a parts kit and carry it with you but if your current reg is from one of the larger mfr's there's a good chance they'll have a dealer in most dive destinations should you need service - or possibly a unique part like a smashed face plate...

my .02

I believe that any secondary should be reasonably high performance but resistant to free-flowing. That means for me all secondaries must have a venturi on-off control of some sort otherwise without this function the demand valve would need to be significantly de-tuned to avoid freeflows. The idea of course is that it doesn't free-flow every time you do a giant stride entry but still breathes OK when you just grab it and suck, of course at the first opportunity someone should turn the venturi on and give the user maximum ease of breathing!
There are a lot of decent quality octo/secondaries with an adjustable venturi on the market for around a $100 or less!

Since, from the sounds, you have an older reg set, I'd just find a used serviceable second stage from your dive shop and have them put it on and adjust. I use old Sherwoods, US Divers, Aqua Lung, and Dacor as safe seconds on my reg sets and they may not be as good as some of the new equipment, but they always work. Most are made out of metal and dent rather than break.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom