New Point and Shoot!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mayor agree with all the above advice and by all means try it without an external strobe first you may be pleasantly surprised. I am a long time UW Sony user and a voice in the wilderness on this. They do have their disadvantages (older ones were shifted green UW) but the newer ones seem to be much better but not perfect.

Far and away their biggest advantage is the size. I use a P150 and it is tiny, topside it fits in a pants pocket, UW in a BCD pocket for getting in and out and under a strap while UW.

My rules for the Sony are simple get close, use the flash. If you break either rule you will be disappointed. For massive amounts of examples go to my web page (below) and look at some of the newer shots, all of those were with a Sonp DSC-P150 internal flash. The earlier ones were with a DSC-P10.

Cecil & Sue's Home Page

The pictures look great. Glad to see someone else using a Sony.

As far as a short arm goes, sure, if you get the Ikelite cheaper arm (the one with slider bars) you can always trim off the excess length. I bought my DS50 used and someone had already done this: the first 'arm' part that actually mounts into the tray handle was the usual length, but the secondary arm that came off of it was truncated. I think I used mine so the strobe head was positioned about 8" above the lens and roughly in-line with it, but tilted 'down' just the slightest bit. You want the strobe angled so it will hit your subject and bounce light back into the lens, but if at all possible you don't want to illuminate the water right in front of the lens. So the ideal angle really changes with range, and as others say you want as little water between you and the subject as possible, within the limits of a) the subject's tolerance before swimming away, and b) your zoom vs. wide angle state as far as getting the subject in the frame.

Spent some time online last night and came up with some great information. I just ordered the Sea Life SL960D strobe. This unit looks like it will work well with the camera and can be used with another one down the road. It was also priced right with a mounting arm. So lets see Sony DSC-80W $ 229.00, Sony Card 2MB $35.00 Sony MPK-WB $179.00, and the Sea Life SL960D strobe/arm for $239.00. That puts me just under $690.00 for a underwater camera set up that is small but will not fit in my pocket. It does add up fast even with a low end camera.

I found a few cheaper prices online but had never delt with them before so I passed. I could have saved about $35.00 over all. That would have got me under $650.00. Thanks again for all the information and if you want I will post a few pictures of the camera set up and then a few shots form the trip.

Two quick question. Are you attaching the camera to you BC? If you are how (rope, cord, retractor, etc)?

A couple of pictures for illustration.

UW
319080.jpg

Getting In
319086.jpg

Notice the yellow cord, it is an expandable lanyard that attaches to the camera and a D-ring.

Mayor,

This may not be what you are looking for, because it appears you are not looking to make your camera any larger or heavier, but there are some options that will allow you to add a high quality wide angle and macro lenses to your camera, as well as adding a top notch strobe with the optical cable.

I use a Sony DSC-N1 camera with the Sony Housing for it. There's a company called Inon and it makes all the required accessories for it. Inon also makes very high quality strobes that many photographers use with their high-end SLR cameras. There's a mounting bracket that Inon has that will allow you to attach their lenses to. When I set my camera up. I was shocked at the quality of pictures I was able to take with the camera.

Here's the link to the Inon site that shows more-or-less what my camera looks like:

INON America - News & Events

Mayor, PM sent.

A couple of pictures for illustration.

UW
319080.jpg

Getting In
319086.jpg

Notice the yellow cord, it is an expandable lanyard that attaches to the camera and a D-ring.

Thanks for the pictures. I did pick that same cord up.

Mayor,

This may not be what you are looking for, because it appears you are not looking to make your camera any larger or heavier, but there are some options that will allow you to add a high quality wide angle and macro lenses to your camera, as well as adding a top notch strobe with the optical cable.

I use a Sony DSC-N1 camera with the Sony Housing for it. There's a company called Inon and it makes all the required accessories for it. Inon also makes very high quality strobes that many photographers use with their high-end SLR cameras. There's a mounting bracket that Inon has that will allow you to attach their lenses to. When I set my camera up. I was shocked at the quality of pictures I was able to take with the camera.

Here's the link to the Inon site that shows more-or-less what my camera looks like:

INON America - News & Events

That's too funny. I have been looking for add on lenses if needed. Could not find any so your a hugh help. The strobe made the camera somewhat larger so the lenses will not make much of a difference now. Which ones do you have? What would be the first one to buy?

Mayor, here's the link to a few pictures I put in a gallery. They were all taken with the Sony DSC-N1 and the Inon Accessories:

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=85531

Looks great. A little backround on where and what I will be shooting might help on the last question. I dive on vacation 3 weeks (Cozumel, FL Keys) per year in blue water from reefs, fish to wrecks. Then the rest of the year I dive in a quarry once per week 7 months of the year. The vis is 30ft to 50ft with some wrecks form 20ft to 100ft. They run OW classes so I have lots of chances to shoot people. Also lots of fish that seam to follow you around.

What Iam getting at do you think the fish eye or some other one would work better for my needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom