New reg advice needed: Scubapro/atomic/mares. If you would be so kind...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thebrain

Contributor
Reaction score
So I come to all for some help with a new reg. I am currently diving a reg/octo setup of Oceanic Alpha 8's, the standard version. As far as I know this is an basic, unbalanced piston setup. My version has some corrosion that I am going to see what my LDS says with regard to operability and repair costs. If it is high I am going to go with a new reg, especially in light of the fact that one of the two computers I am looking into has an AI transmitter, so I would like a 1st stage with 2x HP ports, which the alpha 8 doesn't have.

I dive in Northern California/Monterey, so cold but not freezing.

So after that drawn out introduction, here is what I am considering,the prices I am looking at, and some of my meager thoughts on each one.

-Mares 22 Abyss used---$230 (+ $90 for new Mares octo) =$320
Seems like a quality reg, metal body for moist breath, etc. Pretty good price I think as well for the level of reg. Mares still provides free parts for life? does anybody know anything about this?
-Scubapro mk17/G250v--$415 new (+$100 for new octo).=$515
Pretty much unanimously praised reg(especially for cold water)
-Scubapro mk25/A700---$400 used (+$100 for new octo) = $500
Scubapros top of the line, metal body for robustness and moist breathing. Doubt I could get better than this.
-Atomic Z2--$400 new (+ octo) =$500ish (Im not sure the pricing for atomic octos)
I like atomic equipment, and since all their regs breath the same, the entry z2 seems like a good value.... and they have a great reputation and 2yr service interval

and the old one
-Scubapro mk5-109 --$75 used, but recently rebuilt. This is the one listed here on SB
This is obviously the cheapest option, and perhaps the most durable. Are these vintage regs still viable?, would they give me any performance advantage over my current Alpha 8

For the moment I am not putting edge and HOG on the list as I want local serviceability.

I am a rec diver, so most dives <100ft, air or nitrox with a vest style BC if that matters. ~$500 is the limit of what I would like to spend on 1st stage, reg, and octo. Less is good, but I would also pay more for increased quality, durability, performance if the cost was justified.

lastly and I know this is probably a dumb, naive question, but would my Oceanic Alpha 8 octo work with any of these regs?

Thank you all for your help

-Atomic Z2--$400 new (+ octo) =$500ish (Im not sure the pricing for atomic octos)
They're $290. Atomic Z2 Octo discounts on sale Atomic
lastly and I know this is probably a dumb, naive question, but would my Oceanic Alpha 8 octo work with any of these regs?
It should work with any of them. My buddy has an old Mares octo on his Atomic - works fine.

I would doubt you get free parts for life on a used Mares. Usually those warranties apply only to the original owner.

All options listed look line good regs.

If you are buying that mk5/109 from bigfoot-daisy listed them on the site you will get it in the condition listed and very well serviced. I know as I have bought quite some regs and parts from those guys and they are outstanding sellers.

I dive Mk5/109 and Air 1 on my doubles. They work well, easy to service as a DYI but ask your shop if they would service them.

I can personally give you a " Thumbs Up " for the Scubapro Regs because I have been diving w/ all of them.

Yes, your Oceanic should work w/ any Scubapro Reg.

Of the ones you listed, I think the Z2 is the best choice and is a great value. The others mentioned are also fine, but have to pick one...the Z2 IMO

Don&#8217;t short change the MK-5/109. It may be old but there is a very good reason that they have a dedicated following by some very experienced divers and techs. They are very close in performance to the rest you name but they will still be working long after it's plastic counterparts are done. Parts are readily available and they are easy to service, something you can do yourself if you are so inclined. Then there is to cool factor no modern reg can achieve.

Parts for life is only for the original owner so that's not a consideration. Your old octo (or main second for that matter) will work fine with any of the regs listed.
AI&#8217;s are a personal choice but IMO they add more problems than they solve. Instead of 1 battery or piece of electronics to die, you now have 2. I like my computer but would not consider diving without a standard pressure gauge, it&#8217;s the single most important instrument you have other than you brain.

Being in Bay Area/Monterey area, Mare isn't really too popular. So go with Scubapro or Atomic. I tent to think Atomic gets more LDS support because one of the biggest LDS in SantaClara/SanJose area does NOT sanction Scubapro product. But if you are a vacation diver, Scubapro maybe a better choice due to worldwide support.

From performance point of view, I think they are all more than adaquate.

@divesteve, thanks for the info on the octos and the Mares parts, very helpful. I thought that perhaps there was some incompatibility between using a 2nd stage intended for an unbalanced piston first stage with either a balanced 1st stage or a diaphragm 1st stage.
@elan, ya it seemed to me that the 109's had been nicely reconditioned, I will check if any of my local dive shops will work on them(I wouldn't be surprised if they dont, and I not really ready for the DIY thing yet)
@diverdorr68. Care to elaborate why you think the Z2 is the best (not disagreeing at all, I'm sure it is a great reg like all of these, just curious)
@herman. I think the 109's look great too, are they particularly heavy since they are old fashioned metal construction. I wasn't planning on going just computer +transmitter, I would also clip my console I already own to my BC, thus the desire for 2x HP ports.
@epointer, I haven't really looked at Apeks because I was unsure of their network of dealers, and the XTX200's mentioned by mikeycanuk are too expensive for me (at least new at scuba.com)
@eelnoraa, do you mind saying which local Bay area LDS doesn't do scubapro, because that would definately make me lean towards atomic sense Mares isn't well supported either.

I am going to talk to my LDS tomorrow to see what they say about servicing.

Also, I know that some regs are environmentally sealed to prevent ingress of silt, etc. Do any of the ones I listed fall into this category, and how necessary is it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom