New reg advice needed: Scubapro/atomic/mares. If you would be so kind...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anything it would do for me more than my pair of Oceanic Alpha 8's? I guess its balanced so is better for depth/low tank pressure and has venturi assist for easier breathing. Does the apeks avoid the upsidedown wetness of the abyss mr22?

It is air balanced. I have used my xtx40 octo upside down and lying directly on my back, not a drop of water breathed through. Someone else may be able to answer the info for the xtx20 model, but I would think it would react the same since both are air balanced, as is the 50 model.

So by adding enviro-seal, does that mean adding chrystolube into the first stage just like Atomics people do it?

the enviro-seal is dry not oil filled(you can get an oil filled one but the dry kit is cheaper to service). and i saw a post that the mk 11 is sealed, thats not right the mk 17 is

acording to this review it is not a wet breather Gear / Regulators | Scuba Diving Magazine
and i have never had an issue with any of my down stream regs.

Last edited:
The MK5/109 has only 2 LP ports and 1 HP port so it is really only good for a stage bottle unless you want to use port splitters. I like the MK17-G250 off the list. Check with "The Beav" maybe he can give you a better deal. I don't know much about Atomic, so can't help you there.

@ams511, thanks, I think that strikes the mk5/109 off of the the list.

Mk5 are available in quite a few versions. The Mk5 (and its fat cousin the Mk7) are about all I use. The newer version Mk5 (and some older upgraded models) have heavy yokes 2 x HP ports (7/16th inch) and 5 LP ports. Look carefully at the HP ports. They were made with both 1 and 2 HP ports and in both 3/8ths and 7/16ths. For your requirements, you need 2 x 7/16ths HP ports. I suggest you insist on the 5 LP port turret as it leave you many options for hose configuration and routing. While there are ways to upgrade a lighter yoke version (modern SP yokes will fit) upgrading the turret is all but impossible (finding the part).

The slightly higher weight of metal 2nds is not noticeable in the water.

Awap, he was looking at the regs Daisy was selling for $75.00. They were the ones with 1-HP port and 2-LP ports.

@ams511, precisely. I wanted a reg of this age from a reputable dealer with it all repaired/cleaned, etc.

Back
Top Bottom