New reg advice needed: Scubapro/atomic/mares. If you would be so kind...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While you will be told that, in reality you don't. First off, DC 111 is fine for rec nirtox levels, it's when you get into the higher concentrations of O2 that it becomes an issue and even then only when high pressure is involved. The ambient chamber of a piston reg does not ever come in contact with high pressure O2 so it's fine to use DC 111, the real issue is the mixing of lubes if you try to use CL/TL inside the reg and DL 111 in the ambient chamber. The lubes would mix around the piston stem....it may or maynot be a problem but mixing lubes is rarely a good idea. The best option for cold water is to just get a diaphgram first with a dry seal to start with, no packing the chamber with goo and so much less mess to service.

As for Atomics breathing easier that X, Y or Z brand regs (or vis versa), that's BS. All modern regs within a given price point when properly adjusted are so close that only a machine can tell the differrence.

Thanks for clearing that up Herman. Yes I was told that before I knew much about regulators. After I did, I wondered how O2 would get into contact with the Christo in the ambient chamber unless there is a bit of blow-by past the piston ring when the reg is first pressurized.

---------- Post Merged at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Maybe not as pretty, but you can't breath pretty.

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I think Atomics are one of the best looking regulators on the market. Much better looking than the Scubapros or Apeks that I own.

@ams511

I'm embarrassed to say that I bought the XTX200 Tungsten. I'm very happy with my XTX50(in the Philippines) and love the swivel turrent, but I could not find a yolk model back here in the US when I purchased the XTX200. I bought the Tungsten cause I thought the 1st looked 'cool' in the pics. But, on the cylinder it looks kinda foolish and awkward to me. Could have paid for my pony and its reg with the money I wasted trying to keep up with the Jone's, lesson learned.

I have several Atomic regulators and love them. Since they all perform basically the same it doesn’t matter which version. They are fabulous regulator. I like the environmental seal not for cold water because I don't dive in water that cold, but when it is environmentally sealed it keeps water and other debris out of the first stage and will also keep the piston O-rings lubricated. One other thing I like about Atomic is all of their regulators use the same maintenance kits now that they only support the J-Seat. This also makes upgrading easier also.

The MK5/109 has only 2 LP ports and 1 HP port so it is really only good for a stage bottle unless you want to use port splitters.

Thats not completely correct. Thats applicable to the first generation. Gen 4 MK5 has 5 lp and 2 hp ports just like mk25

Thanks everyone for the valuable input, I learned a lot

Ok, so I think I have narrowed it down to: the Abyss mr22 + octo (new proton ice likely) or the A700/mk17. The price difference for me (used) is about $160. Opinions, differences? I am erring slightly to the A700 for the potential of moister air.

the abyss is all metal just like the a700. so the moist breathing air is a mute point. but like i said if you get the new mares set you will get the parts for life as the first owner. without the parts for life the scubapro regs will run about $85 for parts plus service cost which is around $25 per stage which would be $75.

the abyss is all metal just like the a700. so the moist breathing air is a mute point. but like i said if you get the new mares set you will get the parts for life as the first owner. without the parts for life the scubapro regs will run about $85 for parts plus service cost which is around $25 per stage which would be $75.

Ya but can the performance of Mares be compared to Scubapro? If anyone has used both of these Id like to hear what they think of them.

Ya but can the performance of Mares be compared to Scubapro? If anyone has used both of these Id like to hear what they think of them.
Mares makes some excellent products. I believe ( correct me if I am wrong ) that they are the largest SCUBA Brand in the world.

We were a Mares dealer about 15 yrs ago or so. They moved their U.S. distribution to Boulder, CO w/ Head sports.

We were very excited. We thought it would be easier to get their products since we were ( and still are ) in CO.

( Moreover, I had trained Howard Head, the inventor of Head skiis, tennis rackets, etc. years before. He was truly a genius! )

Ironicly, even though they were only a couple hours away, we were not able to get product consistently.

When our Mares sales rep. agreed that it made sense to drop the line. We did.

I am not sure how their current distribution is to the U.S. ( I am sure it has improved ).

I would guess you already know my thoughts on the Scubapro A700.

I own both mares regs and scubapro regs, the scubapro i have is a mk17 s600 (i know its not an a700) and it doesn't breath any better than any of the mares regs i have. the modern scuba reg is so well made that only a machine can tell the diffrence in a properly tuned reg. and that diffrence is so small you and i would never no it is there.
i have only had one item ever go back order on mares and it showed up 2 weeks later. from what i have heard mares doesn't use a single US distributor anymore but instead has regional distributors.
at this point you can look at the regs you like and what options you want or think you need and how well the brand takes care of you and if local service is aval. and you should have a quality reg that will last you for years if you take care of it.
I have 2 sets of mk17 s600 with s555 octos that my kids love with the diver adjustable breathing knob, i don't care for them.
i have been diving mares regs for 4 years now and so has my wife, between us we have mr22, mr32 and mr42 setups with carbon, abyss and proton second stages. they just breath great from 1-130ft never had a free flow from current and i have been on a accent line looking like a flag. and the cold hasn't been a issue either never done ice diving but been in the 40's
at the end of the day its what you want and gives you that warm fuzzy feeling. but i can tell you from my experince mares makes a top of the line product as does scubapro or atomic.
one other plus i liked on the mares first stage, you can add the enviro seal to any of them. the scubapro mk11 cant have it added later.

First reg I ever bought was an Atomic and I dove with many other brands including Scubapro, Oceanic, HOG and even Mares. From your list of those three brands I would go either with 1. Atomic or 2. Scubapro. Either the Mares 22 that I used in a pool was not properly serviced or it was its nature. It felt to me like I had to suck air through a straw. I own Mares gear and think they have great products but I personally stayed away from their regs after that experience. ymmv

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom