New reg advice needed: Scubapro/atomic/mares. If you would be so kind...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

one other plus i liked on the mares first stage, you can add the enviro seal to any of them. the scubapro mk11 cant have it added later.

So by adding enviro-seal, does that mean adding chrystolube into the first stage just like Atomics people do it?

I recently bought a set of HOGs for my main tank and pony. Reason: I intend to perform the maintenance myself. I have two 1st and 2nd stage Apeks reg setups (TX-100 and the ATX-200) that I am going to sell. Any Aqualung / Seaquest dealer should be able to service Apeks. Apeks was purchased by Aqualung in the early 2000's. They used the Apeks technology to improve their own product line. I was very happy with the Apeks. They both have incredible performance stats.
I just spent $130 to have the TX-100 serviced on 9/2/12. I dove it twice to check it out... I can provide receipt. It was my back up reg with very little use. I'll let it go for $270. The ATX-200 still needs to be serviced before I sell it and needs a new hose. Either one DIN or yoke. PM me if you are interested.

one other plus i liked on the mares first stage, you can add the enviro seal to any of them. the scubapro mk11 cant have it added later.
The Scubapro MK11 is a diaphragm sealed 1st stage. You don't need to add anything.

The new lightweight design is nice for travel.

Thanks everyone for the valuable input, I learned a lot

Ok, so I think I have narrowed it down to: the Abyss mr22 + octo (new proton ice likely) or the A700/mk17. The price difference for me (used) is about $160. Opinions, differences? I am erring slightly to the A700 for the potential of moister air.

Hello again,
I wasn't certain, so I double checked. The 2nd stage on the Mares22 is a downstream unit. That is great, unless and until you decide to dive head down, or or your back, which is often a nice thing to be able to do. If you do dive in these unconventional positions you may find your reg will breath very moist, as in 'wet'. Which you do not want, it is a classic problem with the super reliable downstream 2nds. So, between the two you mentioned you have it down to(Mare Abyss22 and MK17/a700) the Scubapro rig is going to do you much better. I don't know why, but Mares regs are not popular among my diving friends, not because they are not 'good', but because there are better options at similar prices. Any variety of the scubapro regs mentioned in this thread, along with an apeks atx, tx, or xtx 40, 0r 50 would prove a better choice. Mares does have its following, and I'm sure they are high quality, but the Abyss22 has the downstream 2nd stage and will be more likely to become very 'moist :) (wet!) then you want.

Don't overthink it too much more, save that for your dive camera decision, :D . Get an Apeks, Z2 Atmomic, or a Scubapro. Most people recommend them for a reason. They are all around great performers.

@diverdorr68, thanks for that bit of info, it was something I hadn't heard before. Actually the dive camera was the easy decision, a housing for my nikon d700 was entirely too expensive, so the most reasonably good thing I could end up with was an ikelite housed canon s90 w/ strobe.

Off topic, but I can not begin to tell you how much time I spent reading reviews. The s95 is high on my list. But, I am far from done, :(
Still looking at Lumix models, and a few Sony's(video capabilities). Anyway, off topic. If you have some pics from your s90, could you PM a link to them to me?
Thanks either way. By the way, the Apeks have never left me feeling that the air was dry, although my Sherwood Magnum has. I alleviated the problem by drawing in a bit of salt water, swishing it around and then about my merry way.

@diverdorr, I am going from an unbalanced set of plastic regs and I just wanted something that I could be sure would handle the quantity of diving on a liveaboard.

Where will your trip be? Plastic body 2nd stages have been used for a very long time. The are safe and perform as well as the older and modern metal brothers. I am on constant lookout for a xtx50 yoke set up to swap with the xtx200 tungstan that I hve and just now came across this xtx20 set up on eby. It is new, and I got my rig from them as well. The 1st stage says it is rated to 10 degrees Celsius. The second stage is balance with cracking control.

APEKS XTX20 REGULATOR, YOKE with XTX20 OCTOPUS | eBay

channel island and monterey

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom