New reg advice needed: Scubapro/atomic/mares. If you would be so kind...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't be so quick to scratch mk5 off the list. Just that mk5. In the later years they added more ports. My mk5 and mk3 both have 3 lp and 1 hp. I love my old chrome seconds as well. As it is difficult to find the right people to service them so it does take dedication to stay with them. When I got back into the game I picked up some plastic oceanics to use while trying to figure out how to restore my old kits. Another couple test runs and I may be thinking of finally selling the "new regs".

I wouldn't be so quick to scratch mk5 off the list. Just that mk5. In the later years they added more ports. My mk5 and mk3 both have 3 lp and 1 hp. I love my old chrome seconds as well. As it is difficult to find the right people to service them so it does take dedication to stay with them. When I got back into the game I picked up some plastic oceanics to use while trying to figure out how to restore my old kits. Another couple test runs and I may be thinking of finally selling the "new regs".

The OP was looking at the MK-5/109s they were being sold by Bigfoot-Daisy in the classifieds section and on eBay. These have only 1-HP port and 2-LP ports but do have the updated 3000 psi yoke. Without a port splitter, these are good for stage bottles or if using a combo octo/inflator. I do not see them on eBay anymore so maybe they were all sold but while searching I did see they were selling a D400 with a late model MK-5 starting at $110. That would not be a good reg to have if he can get it for around that price.

"I have 2 regulator sets, one here in the USA and one overseas. Both are Apeks. One a XTX50 and the other an XTX200, they are both superior regulators. But, after spending $800 for the XTX200 and later trying out a friends Z2, I was really kicking myself in the *ss. .

How was Atomics different from Apeks? Is there a lot of breathing effort needed in Apeks?

---------- Post Merged at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:19 PM ----------

To the OP:

FYI I have tested my Z2 regulator in 43 degree water and it functioned flawlessly without the environmental sealing manufacturer says it needs in that temperature. I would not try it over and over again though.

Is there a lot of breathing effort needed in Apeks?

I have the older TX and ATX series Apeks regulators and can say they do not breath hard at all. They are comparable to MK-20/G250s, G500s, and S600s. I can't compare to Atomic as I do not own any of them.

Isn't there a bigger cost to maintain the Atomic regs? Re: the "grease" that's inside to keep it's low temp capability. When I was in my lds the manager mentioned he had a small tub of it on order for something north of $600! We originally wanted Atomic but got the cold water capability of the Apeks should we want to do late season diving up here. I'd have give Atomic the edge in the looks dept.

We love our Cobalts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

While a tub may cast 600 you get a syringe for something like 20. It's o2 compatible lube and you're just using it to lube (not goop). A little goes a long way. Lds love to try to talk everything up to substantiate the overhaul when the truth is many of them under haul and return a reg that has not been properly serviced. (sorry, I'm just a little jaded from a recent experience)

How was Atomics different from Apeks? Is there a lot of breathing effort needed in Apeks?

---------- Post Merged at 09:20 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:19 PM ---------

Actually, to me, there is no appreciable difference in effort between the two. I think on the machine the Atomic and the XTX50 were about even, with the XTX200 being marginally better. Even at a depth of 200 feet the XTX50 was pretty effortless to me. The one benefit that I do love about the Apeks regs is that they allow you to also set the effort for your exhalation as well.

Isn't there a bigger cost to maintain the Atomic regs? Re: the "grease" that's inside to keep it's low temp capability. When I was in my lds the manager mentioned he had a small tub of it on order for something north of $600! We originally wanted Atomic but got the cold water capability of the Apeks should we want to do late season diving up here. I'd have give Atomic the edge in the looks dept.

We love our Cobalts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If the Atomic requires to be packed with grease for cold water performance then it could cost $30 - $40 to pack it with Tribolube or Chistolube. It would be cheaper to pack it with Dow 111 but you would loose nitrox compatibility.

If the Atomic requires to be packed with grease for cold water performance then it could cost $30 - $40 to pack it with Tribolube or Chistolube. It would be cheaper to pack it with Dow 111 but you would loose nitrox compatibility.

While you will be told that, in reality you don't. First off, DC 111 is fine for rec nirtox levels, it's when you get into the higher concentrations of O2 that it becomes an issue and even then only when high pressure is involved. The ambient chamber of a piston reg does not ever come in contact with high pressure O2 so it's fine to use DC 111, the real issue is the mixing of lubes if you try to use CL/TL inside the reg and DL 111 in the ambient chamber. The lubes would mix around the piston stem....it may or maynot be a problem but mixing lubes is rarely a good idea. The best option for cold water is to just get a diaphgram first with a dry seal to start with, no packing the chamber with goo and so much less mess to service.

As for Atomics breathing easier that X, Y or Z brand regs (or vis versa), that's BS. All modern regs within a given price point when properly adjusted are so close that only a machine can tell the differrence.

@herman
"As for Atomics breathing easier that X, Y or Z brand regs (or vis versa), that's BS. All modern regs within a given price point when properly adjustedare so close that only a machine can tell the differrence."

Actually, that's not BS. You could spend $400 for a Z2 that breathes as well as a $700+ Scubapro reg. Big difference in price, very, very similar breaths. Maybe not a pretty, but you can't breath pretty.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom