New Reg Set under $500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JPDenny

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm shopping for 2 Reg sets for my son and myself, Warm water diving, we are both OW cert, but are planning on continuing training to include deep dives. I'm trying to keep the cost under $500/set.
So far I'm interested in these: Genesis GS2000, Aqualung Titan, HOG D1, & Scubapro MK2, or maybe the MK11, but that would be a little over budget.
I have 2 questions,
1. Is this the right type of gear I need,
2. Is used an option, like Divers Discount or Brassanchor?

Thanks,

I have three sets of HOG regs set up for single tank OW and cavern diving for my kids. They seem to like them a lot and work great. You may also consider Deep Six, (all though I have not personally used them), they should be similar to the HOG D3/Classic, and there are several positive reviews for them.

What can you get serviced locally? that may narrow your choice.

$500 for 1st, 2nd, Octo and dual gauges?

All of it for $395 from Deep6 - Deep 6 Gear Single Tank Regulator Package - Regulator Packages - Regulators - add $80 for dual gaugeshttp://www.deep6gear.com/regulators/regulator-packages/single-tank-regulator-package

The owner previously ran HOG so has a good track record. IIRC the same factory is making both.

I personally wouldn't get a MK2 just because it only has a single HP port. Should you later get an AI wrist computer - many people add an SPG for redundancy so you might want two.

Last edited:
That looks great! thanks. I live in Tulsa, so I need to check the LDS to see what service is available.

Any of those regulators would be good for the type of diving you and your son would be doing, but when purchasing regs. go new as opposed to used gear. This is life support equipment and this is where I suggest to always go new, all other gear you could purchase used but remember wetsuits lose it's insulating properties over usage from constant compressing and un-compressing in water.

@Deep Six for sure. Best bang for the buck regs around at the moment. They will also sell you service kits to service yourself or for the LDS. They also offer first service free so 4 years before you need to pay for anything extra.

What can you get serviced locally? that may narrow your choice.

I do not know why in the days of FedEx/UPS next day shipping one need a local LDS to service regs. Personally I would never give anything except tanks to my LDS and am sure I am not the exception.

I would avoid the genesis. It's a truly wacky design and a real pain to service. Any of the others are fine. Used is absolutely an option; don't listen to the BS "life support" sales pitch. Instructors especially ought to know better, considering they supposedly spend time teaching students how to deal with OOA situations so that they can get to the surface safely, even in the very rare event that their regulator stops delivering air.

One very important thing in the long haul about owning regulators is keeping them serviced at a reasonable cost and by someone with reasonable competency. Unfortunately, this is more challenging than it seems because in large the dive gear industry practices and policies for regulator service are based on nonsense. Fortunately, since regulators are so easy to service and designed so that all parts that wear out can be replaced, it's easy to circumvent these stupid policies. High on that list is the annual service requirement for warranty purposes. Unless you're diving almost every day and you don't take care of your gear, annual service is wasteful and actually more likely to result in problems than just inspecting frequently and servicing when indicated by the inspection. Another issue is that to be a 'certified' technician for most of the major brands, all you need is dive shop employment and a one day seminar, which nobody has ever failed to my knowledge. Not a very high bar for certification, and as a result dive shop technicians run the gambit from excellent to woefully incompetent.

So the deepsix or HOG option might be a good one because I don't think they are tied to this dumb annual service requirement or a particular dive shop.

The real way to save money in the long run is to buy used simple regulators with classic designs that are easy to find parts for, and service them yourself. If you have no mechanical aptitude or interest, you simply need to find a service tech that does a good job, but you still will benefit from learning how to inspect your own regs for potential signs of problems. It's very easy to do this.

That looks great! thanks. I live in Tulsa, so I need to check the LDS to see what service is available.

I'm not sure if asking your LDS is going to really help make your decision. Most shops are going to try and sell you into brand "X" and give you a 100 reasons why brand "Y" will get you killed. Especially if they know you are getting ready to buy two sets of regs. In many cases, LDS will send regs out for service anyway. ...Or have a guy that stops by once/wk to do service. So your not gaining much vs sending your regs out to somebody like DRIS, or D6 for service.

@Deep Six for sure. Best bang for the buck regs around at the moment.[\QUOTE]

^^Possible true, but HOG has a little more brand equity for the moment. Time will tell.. I like to support anyone who encourages customers to be educated on gear service. (this includes both HOG and D6 for the moment)

.. They will also sell you service kits to service yourself or for the LDS. They also offer first service free so 4 years before you need to pay for anything extra.

^^Yes.. From what I read, they even send you a service kit with your purchase, so you can have spares to travel with. If you send your regs back to D6 for 1st service (why wouldn't you?), they will cycle the 1st kit, and send you a fresh one to carry around. (smart!) ... In theory, you should be able to get a decent service tech to take care of you as long as you have the parts on hand. *Time will tell how this works out in the real world.

I do not know why in the days of FedEx/UPS next day shipping one need a local LDS to service regs. Personally I would never give anything except tanks to my LDS and am sure I am not the exception.

Well, I think you go a bridge to far on this^^.. I doubt any LDS can pay the rent just based on gas fills. So, I like the competitive environment giving customers the best deal possible, I typically at least try to shop locally if possible. If the LDS can get within a few bucks on pricing, I would rather spend locally. But I'm not spending 50% more on a local purchase that I can get dropped on my doorstep within 36hrs. I know this has to ruffle feathers of some of the LDS operators struggling to survive. ..I just hope they can get creative so things can be a win-win!!

I would avoid the genesis. It's a truly wacky design and a real pain to service. Any of the others are fine. Used is absolutely an option; don't listen to the BS "life support" sales pitch. Instructors especially ought to know better, considering they supposedly spend time teaching students how to deal with OOA situations so that they can get to the surface safely, even in the very rare event that their regulator stops delivering air.

One very important thing in the long haul about owning regulators is keeping them serviced at a reasonable cost and by someone with reasonable competency. Unfortunately, this is more challenging than it seems because in large the dive gear industry practices and policies for regulator service are based on nonsense. Fortunately, since regulators are so easy to service and designed so that all parts that wear out can be replaced, it's easy to circumvent these stupid policies. High on that list is the annual service requirement for warranty purposes. Unless you're diving almost every day and you don't take care of your gear, annual service is wasteful and actually more likely to result in problems than just inspecting frequently and servicing when indicated by the inspection. Another issue is that to be a 'certified' technician for most of the major brands, all you need is dive shop employment and a one day seminar, which nobody has ever failed to my knowledge. Not a very high bar for certification, and as a result dive shop technicians run the gambit from excellent to woefully incompetent.

So the deepsix or HOG option might be a good one because I don't think they are tied to this dumb annual service requirement or a particular dive shop.

The real way to save money in the long run is to buy used simple regulators with classic designs that are easy to find parts for, and service them yourself. If you have no mechanical aptitude or interest, you simply need to find a service tech that does a good job, but you still will benefit from learning how to inspect your own regs for potential signs of problems. It's very easy to do this.

Thanks for the information, this type of advise is what I'm looking for. I do a lot of my own maintenance on other equipment, so I will definately get qualified to service my own stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom