New to Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By the way, why are you looking for a dive computer "less conservative than others"

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I am not the OP but since you asked, I went one round with a conservative computer (Scubapro EDI) and found myself much more limited by NDL than my fellow divers. Since then I have used nothing but the more liberal computers (Oceanics). I can always make my dives more conservative than my computer if I want. But I can't make that conservative computer more liberal.

DiveNav: awap really summed up why I am looking for a computer that isn't overly conservative.

I'm not looking to knock on the door of my NDL every dive but I would like for that to be in my hands.

That being said I'm going to take a look at a few of the articles you guys posted and see what questions I have from there.

Thanks for the help so far.

DiveNav: awap really summed up why I am looking for a computer that isn't overly conservative.

I'm not looking to knock on the door of my NDL every dive but I would like for that to be in my hands.

That being said I'm going to take a look at a few of the articles you guys posted and see what questions I have from there.

If you want a computer that is more on the liberal side then check the specs to see which algorithm it uses. If it's a Haldanian type then it's the most liberal you can get.

If it's RGBM then it's very conservative, as is the Buhlmann Z8 or Buhlmann Z16.

Computers made by Pelagic and rebadged as Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood tend to use Haldanian algorithm. Suunto has its own RGBM algorithm. Dive Rite computers use the Buhlmann Z16 algorithm.

I have an Aeris Atmos II, and an Aeris Epic. I like the Epic but it eats batteries (one a year or so).

Make sure if you require user replaceable batteries (the only way to go IMO) that you do a very good job of checking the Oring, getting rid of deposits around the battery cover, and ensuring you get a good watertight seal. Insurance is also not a bad idea.

I've not flooded a computer, but it can and does happen.

The way to deal with the conservative computers is to not end your dives any earlier than your buddies and then just do the deco required by the more conservative computer.

Oceanic Veo's are among the most liberal out there and will do everything you asked for at a reasonable price. The Tusa IQ-700 is more conservative but is large and very readable and is still a little less conservative than most Suunto models.

Avoid Suunto's and most any thing you buy will do what you want.

If you look at the spec sheet to see what algorithm is being used don't expect for it to be all that helpful. They're all going to say Haldane, Neo-Haldane (which is Buhlmann), Buhlmann or RGBM (Suunto).

The way to deal with the conservative computers is to not end your dives any earlier than your buddies and then just do the deco required by the more conservative computer.

The problem is that a typical recreational computer will lock you out for 24-hrs if you go into decompression. Yes, the computer will produce a decompression profile for you, but it will not work any more after that dive.

This isn't a problem if you were to use a technical diving computer.

The problem is that a typical recreational computer will lock you out for 24-hrs if you go into decompression. Yes, the computer will produce a decompression profile for you, but it will not work any more after that dive.

What recreational dive computer is this. It's not one that I have or have ever seen. Any that I've ever seen would lock you out only if you didn't do the decompression before getting out of the water.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is what I think is nearly the most important. Customer Service. There are lots of computer manufacturers out there but a couple have near legendary customer support. Oceanic and Zeagle. If you do a search through these forums you'll find many threads talking about how great their support is. I've seen Oceanic replace dive computers for free that were well out of warranty.

-Charles

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is what I think is nearly the most important. Customer Service. There are lots of computer manufacturers out there but a couple have near legendary customer support. Oceanic and Zeagle. If you do a search through these forums you'll find many threads talking about how great their support is. I've seen Oceanic replace dive computers for free that were well out of warranty.

-Charles

That's a great point! One main reason why we stock & promote Oceanic Computers has been because of their Customer Service. It has been Great!

I've done dives with my Vyper that transiently put the computer into deco mode and as I gradually ascend the deco clears.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom