New to Dive Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What recreational dive computer is this. It's not one that I have or have ever seen. Any that I've ever seen would lock you out only if you didn't do the decompression before getting out of the water.

Sherwood Wisdom 2's operator manual's page 4:
"it should not be utilized for any competiitive, or repetitive square wave or decompression diving, as it is intended solely for recreational use and no decompression multilevel diving."

page 84:
"When a Decompression Stop Depth greater than 70 feet (21 meters) is required, the WISDOM 2 enters Permanent Violation Mode and reverts to Violation Gauge Mode operation for the remainder of that dive and subsequent dives made within a 24 hour period. Once in the Violation Gauge Mode, the WISDOM 2 operates with limited functions without any nitrogen or oxygen monitoring or calculating functions."

So, you are partially right and I'm partially right (I should have read the manual in its entirety). If a diver were to go exceed NDL then the computer will go into decompression mode and if the diver were to go follow the computer's decompression profile then it's OK. BUT if the deco stop depth is greater than 70-ft then the computer will give you a deco profile to follow but then it will lock you out for 24-hrs.

On the Aeris Elite T3, it's similar except that the decompression stop depth is 60-ft or greater (10-ft shallower than the Wisdom 2) as shown on the operator manual's page 98.

Sherwood Wisdom 2's operator manual's page 4:
"it should not be utilized for any competiitive, or repetitive square wave or decompression diving, as it is intended solely for recreational use and no decompression multilevel diving."

page 84:
"When a Decompression Stop Depth greater than 70 feet (21 meters) is required, the WISDOM 2 enters Permanent Violation Mode and reverts to Violation Gauge Mode operation for the remainder of that dive and subsequent dives made within a 24 hour period. Once in the Violation Gauge Mode, the WISDOM 2 operates with limited functions without any nitrogen or oxygen monitoring or calculating functions."

So, you are partially right and I'm partially right (I should have read the manual in its entirety). If a diver were to go exceed NDL then the computer will go into decompression mode and if the diver were to go follow the computer's decompression profile then it's OK. BUT if the deco stop depth is greater than 70-ft then the computer will give you a deco profile to follow but then it will lock you out for 24-hrs.

On the Aeris Elite T3, it's similar except that the decompression stop depth is 60-ft or greater (10-ft shallower than the Wisdom 2) as shown on the operator manual's page 98.

holy **** man... we're talking recreational dives here...

I don't wanna go run any numbers, but can anyone say off top of their head what it would take to get a computer to require a decompression stop at 70 feet??? I've done multiple deep dives with limited surface intervals and really pushed way past where I should have been and never required anything more than a 10' stop...

That is a little out the scope of this conversation which seems to be talking about recreational dive computers...

now, all of that being said, I prefer the Pelagic computers (Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood, Hollis) because of their typically more liberal approach. I can always make my dive more conservative, or even add in longer safety stops if I feel the need, but, I want to be the one controlling the conservatism and giving myself options, not having to watch my computer to make sure I don't put it in violation because it isn't happy with a dive profile that other computers would be just fine with...

.......I don't wanna go run any numbers, but can anyone say off top of their head what it would take to get a computer to require a decompression stop at 70 feet??? ........

A deep long dive ..... well beyond recreational diving

holy **** man... we're talking recreational dives here...

I don't wanna go run any numbers, but can anyone say off top of their head what it would take to get a computer to require a decompression stop at 70 feet??? I've done multiple deep dives with limited surface intervals and really pushed way past where I should have been and never required anything more than a 10' stop...

That is a little out the scope of this conversation which seems to be talking about recreational dive computers...

now, all of that being said, I prefer the Pelagic computers (Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood, Hollis) because of their typically more liberal approach. I can always make my dive more conservative, or even add in longer safety stops if I feel the need, but, I want to be the one controlling the conservatism and giving myself options, not having to watch my computer to make sure I don't put it in violation because it isn't happy with a dive profile that other computers would be just fine with...

We are talking about recreational diving and recreational diving computers and how they'd behave if the diver were to exceed NDL.

They will calculate deco profile for the diver and if the diver were to follow the deco profile then there will be no penalty (computer locking out for 24-hrs), except in the case where the NDL violation is so bad that it requires 60-ft or deeper depth for deco stop then it will still give you a deco profile and then lock you out for 24-hrs.

We are talking about recreational diving and recreational diving computers and how they'd behave if the diver were to exceed NDL.

They will calculate deco profile for the diver and if the diver were to follow the deco profile then there will be no penalty (computer locking out for 24-hrs), except in the case where the NDL violation is so bad that it requires 60-ft or deeper depth for deco stop then it will still give you a deco profile and then lock you out for 24-hrs.

to get a REQUIRED deco stop at 60 or 70', I'm thinking something like 30-40 minutes at the recreational depth limit of 130'... thats 4x the no-decompression limit for that depth, and would require an hour or so of decompression stops on the way up...

you originally said: "The problem is that a typical recreational computer will lock you out for 24-hrs if you go into decompression. Yes, the computer will produce a decompression profile for you, but it will not work any more after that dive.

This isn't a problem if you were to use a technical diving computer."

When this is only true if you blatantly disregard any sort of time limits at the deepest of recreational depths...

to get a REQUIRED deco stop at 60 or 70', I'm thinking something like 30-40 minutes at the recreational depth limit of 130'....

I just run it with our simulator (that uses a straight ZH-L16C) and it took me ~43 minutes @ ~130ft to get to a deco stop of 70ft.

As you can see from image below, TAT is > 3 hours and 11 of the 16 compartments are in strong RED.

strong_deco.jpg

BTW ... I was using a Twin HP 100 and now I have only ~700PSI left .... I guess I am dead!

Alberto (aka eDiver)

BTW ... I was using a Twin HP 100 and now I have only ~700PSI left .... I guess I am dead!

Alberto (aka eDiver)

only 700 psi left to make the ascent / stops??? you are only dead if you don't have a chamber waiting for you on the surface!

you originally said: "The problem is that a typical recreational computer will lock you out for 24-hrs if you go into decompression. Yes, the computer will produce a decompression profile for you, but it will not work any more after that dive.

This isn't a problem if you were to use a technical diving computer."

When this is only true if you blatantly disregard any sort of time limits at the deepest of recreational depths...

And I was wrong and I said so in the next post.:idk:

i just bought the suunto gekko computer, it is one of the best for the price, no computer hookup and no back lighting, but i will take it to save myself $250 over the Veo 3.0 and it has all the same features but what i just said

only 700 psi left to make the ascent / stops??? you are only dead if you don't have a chamber waiting for you on the surface!

actually ... I continued the dive trying to ascend anyway ... but I did find out that since I did not have a drysuit, my virtual diver died of hipotermia :depressed:

Back
Top Bottom