New to diving. BPW suggestions??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm also newly certified, and went through the same thing. The suggestions of Deep Sea Supply or Dive Rite in scuba are good ones. Both will get you set up correctly. In my case I came across a solid LDS that had a nice line up of Hollis BP/W gear, so I paid up a bit extra (compared to DSS or DRIS) for local support.

If I hadn't found the local guys, I would have gone with Tobin at DSS. He is highly respected around here for his knowledge. His level of analysis and support is really helpful for a newbie.

FYI dans dive shop in st Catherine's has a decent selection of wings and backplates. Also they sometimes have some decent deals for Black Friday

Funny you mention them. I emailed them this morning!

Inquiring about this:

Deep Sea Supply Pro Fit Singles Rig w/LCD40 wing, tank straps Deep Sea Supply Pro Fit Singles Rig w/LCD40 wing, tank straps [DSS Single Tank Sysem] - $459.99 : Dans Dive Shop, Online Store

Seems to me this would be the ticket. I'm thinking large SS back plate and 40lb LCD wing?

DRIS Dive Gear 28lb BP/W System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

Wait until Black Friday, Nov 28th this year, they will run that down around $300.

For cold water diving, stainless steel and steel tanks are best. HP100's are qutie good if you can find them, though any steel tank is better than aluminum. With that system you'll take 12lbs off of your belt, and with a steel tank you can take off another 5-6lbs

They just put that on sale for $50 off. $329.99 is a hell of a deal.

They just put that on sale for $50 off. $329.99 is a hell of a deal.

I've been in touch. Just waiting on some answers to questions I had.

I'm certainly leaning in this direction at the moment. How durable is the wing? Inflator quality?

I'm assuming down the road I can mix and match components from other manufacturers?

you can certainly mix and match, read the reviews, the wing is as durable as most of the rest of the major ones. Hollis, DiveRite etc, inflator quality is right up there as well. If you don't like it, they are all universal so you can swap them around

I did a mass of research recently in to my first BP/W setup. I'm also inexperienced having only 40 dives but a couple of emails and a phone call to Tobin at DSS, the customer service was the key - I ordered a SS BP and Torus 26 wing from DSS. I am due to get hold of them tomorrow and plan to get in the water next week with it. I will try to remember to get back on here and give you a review/idea of what to concentrate on for your first BP/W.
I had no idea about weights/lift requirements with this setup but Tobin will explain it all - it's worth a call!

Very nice. Enjoy!

Hey K930,

I think you are going to be happy with the DRIS package. A 40 lb wing would have been too much for diving singles. I have a 27 and 25 lb wing. They work great for me. I dive tropical with a 2.5mm, AL80 and aluminum plate. However in Ontario I use steel plate, STA, 7mm full wetsuit and steel tanks. The steel plate and steel tank with a 2.5mm or 3mm wetsuit is just too negatively buoyant. New 7mm wetsuit however (especially with a 7mm tunic) is really buoyant. The extra weight of the steel plate and steel tank is really helpful with a 7mm wetsuit.

If you are buying tanks consider getting a steel tank. A lot of diving in Ontario is deep. An AL80 really isn't enough air if you are going down to a wreck at 100+ feet. I have HP100 (99.5 cu.ft.) and HP119 (123 cu.ft.) so I'll have a little extra air, compared to an AL80 (77.4 cu.ft.). Some will recommend getting something smaller and overfill it but if you don't have your own compressor, you will be hard pressed to find anyone in Ontario who will overfill your tanks for you.

If you look around the Henderson 7mm is nice and well priced. When Dean was at Float N' Flag they sold Waterproof wetsuits. I believe Dean is over at Dive Academy in Oakville but I'm not sure if he brought the Waterproof wetsuits with him. I'd recommend dropping in and seeing if you like Dive Academy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom