New to diving. BPW suggestions??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into a steel tank, and I like the idea of more volume. Is there a significant weight difference compared to an AL80?

I did my OW with Float & Flag. In fact I'm planning on stopping by there today to sign up for a Nitrox course.

I've looked at the Henderson wetsuits. Wore a BARE Velocity 7mm for my OW. How would they compare?

If you look around the Henderson 7mm is nice and well priced. When Dean was at Float N' Flag they sold Waterproof wetsuits. I believe Dean is over at Dive Academy in Oakville but I'm not sure if he brought the Waterproof wetsuits with him. I'd recommend dropping in and seeing if you like Dive Academy.
Yeah he did, and a +1 from me for the Dive Academy. However, Dean has just left (or is about to leave...) for some vacation on Grand Cayman, so if you want to visit the store, wait another week or so.

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into a steel tank, and I like the idea of more volume. Is there a significant weight difference compared to an AL80?

I did my OW with Float & Flag. In fact I'm planning on stopping by there today to sign up for a Nitrox course.

I've looked at the Henderson wetsuits. Wore a BARE Velocity 7mm for my OW. How would they compare?

HP100 is comparable dimension to an AL80, little bit shorter. You take 6lbs off of your weight belt, and the tank is 3lbs heavier than an al80 for more air. So net weight is 3lbs lighter for the total rig with 23cf more air.

You may want to seriously consider going to drysuit instead of purchasing a wetsuit. It's a bit more up front, but you will be so much more comfortable in the long run. You're far better off scouring craigslist for a cheap 7mm or farmer john that's close enough so you hav something now, and then save up the $1500ish for a new well fitting drysuit.

Scuba wetsuit brand new
it's just over the border, but worth the drive.

Scuba wet suit
5mm farmer john, so a bit less warm but still 10mm on the chest

Scuba tanks dbl oms 112's highland bands oms manifold 2014 hydro
They're big tanks, but a **** ton of gas if you can swing the $600, probably offer him $450 which is closer to the going rate. Break the doubles down, stick plugs in them, and at least you have matching pair of tanks. The 112's are actually quite good for single tank diving.

Scuba equipment - selling All
looks like some LP85's there if he'll break them up, they're quite popular tanks too for sidemount and beautiful for doubles

If you are looking at the Henderson Aqualock 7mm suits watersports at young/eglington in Toronto had them on sale when I was in there a week ago

In water most steel tanks around around 6 lbs more negatively buoyant compared to an AL80. This means you can take 6 lbs off your weight belt. Out of the water however, the bigger the tank the heavier it will be. Both because they are bigger and because they hold more air (more air means more weight).

I've never tried the Bare Velocity. I used to rent wetsuits for around 5 years. The first wetsuit I bought was a lot warmer and buoyant then a rental because the rentals were a few years old. So right off, anything you buy will probably be better than the rental you used for OW (unless they had fairly new wetsuits in the rental inventory). The Henderson is really nice. Warm and fits me well. That is the most important thing. You want something which fits you well. I dive horizontal. So when I'm in the water my head is tilted back. You want to think about how you swim through the water when you are diving. Think about if you are going to have the neck keeping the water out as you dive.

The BARE seemed to be quite tight, especially around the neck. Didn't bother me in the water though. Very little water leakage during the dives.

I wore an XL. I'm 6'1" 210 lbs. I could certainly lose a few lbs..... :D

Water was 63F. I wore the wetsuit, 7mm boots, and 5mm gloves. No hood. I wasn't bothered by the cold that much, but the dives weren't particularly long either.

you need a good hood, diving in 63f water is safer with a good hood and nothing else, than in a drysuit with no hood. Check those craigslist wetsuits out, safe a few hundred bucks here and spend it on regs and a drysuit next year.

Got the regs already.

I'll check out some of those ads. Drysuits are big $$ :blinking:

The feedback and support on this forum is incredible!

tbone1004 is right, a good hood with make a world of difference. I'm usually comfortable down to 45F if I have a good hood.

Back
Top Bottom