New to Lobstering

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EANx40:
Most of us use a rake to tickle them out from the ledges. My rake will go from 4-12 feet. Once the bugs are tickled out just grab them by the knuckles. ( where the anntenae meet the head) Sometimes I will use a snare but I make my own, they are about 6' long. Because when diving the ledges out of the port they go along ways back. Go to http://www.spearboard.com and ask LOB (Look Out Below) about his techniques. He is one of the better bug hunters in the area.
Here are a couple of pics of my rake.
Collapsed
TSCollapsed.JPG

Extended
TSExtended.JPG
Oh Boy...try using a tickle stick with a hook like that on the end here in Massachusetts and you better hope the Enviromental Police don't see you!! Next thing you know...they own all your gear...tanks, BC, regs, and if they are in a bad mood and find it in your car...bye bye automobile! You can use a straight stick,or one with a moderate bend on the end, but hooks are a big No No. But us real bughunters just use our hands! lol

keelhaul123:
Oh Boy...try using a tickle stick with a hook like that on the end here in Massachusetts and you better hope the Enviromental Police don't see you!! Next thing you know...they own all your gear...tanks, BC, regs, and if they are in a bad mood and find it in your car...bye bye automobile! You can use a straight stick,or one with a moderate bend on the end, but hooks are a big No No. But us real bughunters just use our hands! lol

Luckily rakes and snares are legal or else we wouldn't get any bugs, due the depth of the ledges. Besides that's not a hook it's Al bonding wire thats bendable. Once you get them out you just grab them.

Be careful about reaching into a hole or ledge after a lobster. The myth is that if a lobster is in it, a moray eel won't be. WRONG. My dad used to operate a dive shop and new a world class free-diver who drowned in 10 feet of water - reaching in a hole after a lobster and a green moray eel grabbed hold of his hand and wouldn't let him go. He tried to cut his hand off at the wrist, but was unable to do so before he passed out. The sad part was, his 10 year old son was at the surface watching.

Also, check the law books. Florida has updated their lobster harvesing laws and snaring lobster may be illegal. Spearing lobster definately is!

Firebrand:
Be careful about reaching into a hole or ledge after a lobster. The myth is that if a lobster is in it, a moray eel won't be. WRONG. My dad used to operate a dive shop and new a world class free-diver who drowned in 10 feet of water - reaching in a hole after a lobster and a green moray eel grabbed hold of his hand and wouldn't let him go. He tried to cut his hand off at the wrist, but was unable to do so before he passed out. The sad part was, his 10 year old son was at the surface watching.

Also, check the law books. Florida has updated their lobster harvesing laws and snaring lobster may be illegal. Spearing lobster definately is!

Okay here is the skinny for all the non Fl divers. Rakes, tickle sticks, snares including spring loaded, and anything other than spearing and traps are legal. The snares must have a protective covering as not to cut the bug in two. The only thing that changed about FL bug laws was the limit. It used to be 6 per person or 24 per boat which ever is greater. Now it is 6 per person period. Night diving is allowed for bugs except Monroe county.

Had a fair amount of luck this year w/ bugs. I tried the net / stick combo years ago and found it to be too tough. Especially getting a large bug out of the net at 80 feet or so. Swithed to the 'fluro Green Snare' and bingo, started getting my limit. Essentially, I mess with lobsters antenna w/ left hand while working snare behind it w. right, then bang...start the grill.

jokeborn:
Alright, I bought the gear, got the license and have looked for the spinies. After seeing many before I got the gear, the one I finally found after getting prepared was able to elude me. I used the tickle stick to prod him from behind, and I have a catch net for him to go into (this is what I was explained to do when I was buying the gear). He basically laughed at me and backed further into his hiding spot. Any suggestions out there on easier ways to catch these guys? Also, once I do finally get one and return to shore, what do I need to do to seperate the tail? Thanks.
I threw away the net a long time ago! If you have a decent pair of gloves then all you need is patience. I usually tickle them out and grab them at the carapace.
I see divers trying to catch lobsters with those useless snares and nets and most destroy more reef than anything. its not hard to catch them by hand and you wont tear up the reef in the process. I rarely use a tickle stick, I like to get positioned where i know im not going to damage the reef then reach in and grab the lobster head first. Always make sure the lobster is legal size before hand and always check it with a guage before you surface. as the second part of your question pull and twist gripping the tail as close to the body as possible the break off a antenna and insert it in the rectum of the lobster after you push it in so far the "poop string" will come out the other end. pull it the rest of the way out and throw him on the grill! good luck and good lobstering!

Arm Deep In A Creavis Or Under A Rock Spells Fun For Me
After Reading, Listening, And Researching, Seems The Best Way Is The One
That Yeilds The Full Bag At The End Of The Dive.
Claw Pinch Is Worth The Reward.

keelhaul123:

Massachusetts is a police state if ever there was one. That's why there are 49 others to actually enjoy life in. My politics are middle of the road, which made me an extreme right winger while living in the Police State. Had a concealed weapon permit there also, so you know that I must walk on water, but my neighbors would call the authority figures on me whenever they saw me carrying my rifle or speargun to the car. Tried cutting a limb from a dead tree once and the tree police arrived. Bye, bye, Bay State!!

Now actually living life, in Florida, where the people are friendly, the diving is great, and my neighor asks me what caliber rifle I'm using, how many bugs I bagged diving, and if I need to use his chainsaw.

Best regards -- Mach

Go at night, they come out more at night and you can take your pick. At least thats how me and my buddy Vinny Ford do it. Night time is 100% better than the day time just ask any East coast diver. Thanks for reading this.
Bob Ottiano
P.S I have been diving since 1959.

Thank you for all the great tips on lobstering. Besides Florida, where else can I scoop up a lobster? I'm headed to Cayman in two weeks, but I think they would put me in jail! Nevis and St. Kitt are a little too far to fly! I have a rake and a bag. I even have a small mop, you know the kind that looks like Rasta hair - LOL - that I thought I could tangle one in if I just twisted it around and around.

IIRC, the Bahamas even allows the spearing of lobster (or did several years ago). However, lobstering was only allowed on snorkel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom