New Wreak???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taz22 once bubbled...

Who's the charter operator? I'm relatively new to this board, heard about it from a dive buddy.

I noted earlier that I'll try to get the GPS coordinates and post them here, I only saw it on the map last week. It really isn't that big of a secret now, everyone one knows where Mc Nair Island is, about 1/2 km to the east of the Gaskin. If you drift between Mc nair and the other Island bingo, you hit the jack pot.

Cool.. Thanks.. I just marked it on my chart... Maybe I'll get up there next year..

canuckdiver once bubbled...
was referencing that usually the only ones that want to keep coordinates a secret are the charter operators, that way people have to pay them to be taken out to the wreck.

sorry, my opinion getting the better of me again.

I have nothing against charter operators, we owe them a lot, I just don't agree with the practice ofkeeping wrecks a secret, they belong to all of us, not just a select few.

I agree 100%... Could not have said it better myself..

Bubble Boy once bubbled...
Read the papers and you will see some American divers removing 400 pieces of Italian marble from a wreck in Canadian waters near Jodstat Castle though.

I'm looking for the facts. Couldn't find reference in Toronto Star, UP wire or Globe & Mail online. Anyone have a link to get some background on this.

Sparky: Let's not be so quick to smear the reputation of an entire diving nation here. It's not easy being the World's Policeman. We are in an undeclared shooting war in case nobody has noticed. Perhaps we could direct this energy to better use. Poor judgement and wreck pillaging are not reserved to any particular nationality of diver last time I checked.

You are correct.. I was generalizing.. And that is usually a bad thing to do...However, in general I would prefer that people live wrecks in tact. No matter where the wrecks are and no matter where the divers arae from. That way we all get to enjoy them.
The reason for my previous post was that I was just in the middle of a book about diving when I read the post. The entire book is about folks diving to recover artifacts.. Some die in the process. Pretty silly if you ask me.. But you are right.. I should not have pointed fingers at any nation in particular.

There is a good morale in that book - ambition and greed can destroy even the best of men...and divers.

I'm still interested in learning more about this Italian Marble recovery that was mentioned earlier....

Acually.. The book I was refering to is "Deep Descent".. I've read "The Last Dive" too.. Interesting book. Very eye opeing. Both of them show that beeing just a little too greedy at depth can have some bad results. Actually I think both books are instruction manuals on what not to do

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom