Newbie - First Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

will562

New
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi

Just registered on here and not had a chance to do much research yet. Going to Cancun next week and I think it is a great opportunity t go diving in Cozumel as I have heard it is so great there. I haven't done a dive before but did one of those 1 courses in a hotel pool a few years ago but never followed it up.

Is it possible to do a 1 day dive or do i need to be qualified first? If so can i get basic training in the morning etc?

Can anyone recommend a company to go with and I am staying in Cancun so do they do day trips to Cozumel from there?

Is all the equipment provided?

Lastly what is the average price to pay for all this.

Thanks

Will

I think you would be much happier with your post results and the responses you get if this was posted in the Cozumel section. You can ask a Moderator to move this if you want. Cozumel is a popular dive location so there is a ton of information here on ScubaBoard for it.

You need to be qualified (certified) to dive. If you are not, then you would sign up for a Discover Diving trip where you will be given brief instruction beforehand and will have an instructor accompany you and individually guide you on the dive. There may also be other divers in the group led by a dive master but you will be individually "babysat". You can rent equipment. Expect to pay around $75 or more plus equipment rental. Given your "newness", I wouldn't add the additional stress of travelling to Coz and finding an op there.

I think you would be much happier with your post results and the responses you get if this was posted in the Cozumel section. You can ask a Moderator to move this if you want. Cozumel is a popular diove location so there is a ton of information here on ScubaBoard for it.

Well... okay! :D

The equipment rental is included in the resort course rate..........but I agree with MMM that you'll probably be thrilled doing this right in Cancun..........it' a long haul to CZM and back in one day.

Betsy

Try diving in Cancun first. Cozumel is famous for its deep sites. I doubt anybody will take you there either as part of Discovery dive or part of certification which usually require 4 dives and takes at least 2 days. With certificate you can go to Cozumel (if feel comfortable for deeper dive).

Welcome Will to Scubaboard and welcome to the world of diving !

In reading your post I am coming up with some ideas for you to try. However, the solutions may depend on a few things. First, what is your vacation schedule and how much time do you want to apply to diving? Traveling back and forth from Cancun to Cozumel is a full day affair for a Non-diving excursion. Adding diving to the schedule makes it a VERY FULL day. The fact that you are non-certified to dive also adds an extra twist to the mix. You are required to have Basic Open Water certification to dive or at the least the minimum of a Discover Scuba course.

Since you are traveling next week, acquiring a full certification is most likely not an option for you. Many of the Dive Ops offer Discover Scuba. The course is a 3-4 hour orientation with a private divemaster. This course is probably similar to the diving instruction you had in the past . After successful completion of this course you may then, with approval and under DIRECT SUPERVISION from the PRIVATE Divemaster/Instructor continue to dive for a limited time. There is also a shallow depth limit that must be adhered to as well. Remember, Discover Scuba only a temporary approval to dive with limitations. Upon completion you are NOT a certified diver.

As you most likely know, there are MANY Dive Ops located on Cozumel. I recommend you research the reviews and find a short list of Dive Ops that you are comfortable with. Then contact them directly to inquire if they offer Discover Scuba and if they have availability. You will find Blue XT SEA Diving, Cozumel Diving: Blue XT SEA Diving, Cozumel Mexico, on the top of many lists, including mine. However, there are Discover Scuba options available for you in Cancun as well, which, may actually work out better for your schedule.

If you find that diving is not in your very near future, then why not plan some extra special snorkel trips. Perhaps acquire some snorkel equipment before you leave home. In fact, you may want to purchase a good dive mask and snorkel, then, when you do decide to take that Basic Open Water course, you will already be set up with some equipment you will need. You can remain in Cancun and/or come to Cozumel to snorkel and visit for the day. There are several locations that offer very good snorkeling. Chankanaab on Cozumel is the first that comes to mind. This location also has a very nice beach, and beach amenities. Also, then, by visiting Cozumel you will be able to get a feel for what the island has to offer and you will be more prepared for your next trip.

Regardless of how it all turns out for you, have a wonderful time!

Sue

Last edited:
hey will,
yeah its a very long day from cancun and coz and unless your certifeid its not really worth the travel, the beginner sites in cancun are just as nice and actually more marine life here than coz! i can do you a beginner course, 90min lesson and a great 35ft reef dive for $90, all equipment and hotel pick up inc. worth thinking about and from 11 30am til 3 30pm its the easiest option in cancun!
saludos ben

Cozumel is a beautiful dive location (as well as vacation spot), and not so bad for the "not-so-seasoned" divers, but I would seriously hesitate if you're not at the very least open water certified. We did our checkout dives in Cozumel, and it's a little disheartening to see everyone else drifting off to see the sights while we were held back by our own limitations. Drift diving can also be a little bit daunting if you're used to fairly still waters. I'm not saying it's not possible, but like everyone else, I'd suggest a beginner course. The divemasters and instructors make scuba look easy because they have hundreds/thousands of hours underwater and it's nearly instinctive for them, but in all honesty (and from the point of view of someone who is still a new diver [logged approx. 50 dives in 7 years]), diving Cozumel can be tricky. Scuba diving is counterintuitive, and one small mistake can potentially cost your life.

Hi and thanks for everyones replies. Ok let me explain a bit more. I keep a marine aquarium at home so am interested in all things marine and reading on some of the forums I use, it seems that Cozumel has a lot to offer, but I hadn't thought about the fact that you would have to be certified. I am happy to try this in Cancun and i'm sure there will be plenty for me to see. We are on a two week holiday in Cancun, but my other half isn't interested in diving so I will probably only doing this for one day, and she can go shopping!

Also thanks Ben, I will be in touch with you soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom