Newbie question about breathing underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mogwai:
I seem to suffer on occasion from the opposite effect. At times, depending on the regs and mouthpieces i use i have too much fluid (spit, saliva call it what you like) and actually have to swallow to clear my mouth, no jokes please this is a clean board :) Anyone else get this, is it unusual. Still learning evertime i go out and finding out new stuff. Got 27 dives done and notice this effect quite often at the moment.

I get that sometimes too!, I felt like I was freakin drooling in my regulator, at first I thought it was leaking or something but (ok, graphic here) it was thick like spit not as runny as water. I didn't complain tho, can go down for a long time with no dry mouth. I think I have had it happen twice in semi warm water.

I dont' notice dry mouth if I get it, my perminent dive buddy gets it all the time and she has an oasis reg.

The first time I had dry mouth was after about 60 minutes into the dive, other than that I really dont' get it anymore.

I notice if I'm on the virge of being sick, bad weather, stressed, lack of sleep, my mouth and throat get dry to the point of pain, but thats only happened once.

Hi All, thanks for all the insight. As everyone was quick to point out, I think I'm suffering from cold. I had dry throat as it is, but I was also starting to get down with cold :). I'm sneezing since morning today. But thanks for all your replies.
Regards

Mo2vation:
Hi, thanks for your motivation (mo2vation :)). You are right. I will not forget the first time I could breathe underwater, it was an unparalleled feeling. Had been to hawaii a month back to try into scuba in the sea. being that I do not know how to swim, wearing all the weights and jumping into 40 feet choppy water freaked me out and they pulled me out. They advised me to try it in calm water first though. Boy was I glad I did. As we progressed from shallow water to deep water, I was initially nervous and sucked in a lot of air, but slowly I started feeling at ease. Finally when we were 20 feet deep, it felt serene. Just the sound of my bubbles, blue all around and I could see the swimmers above on the surface. I will never forget that experience. That is when I felt that there is nothing to be nervous about water. At that moment I decided that I have to pursue this and if need to learn how to swim to do this, then so be it.
thanks again for your thoughts and you can bet that I will have a lot more to pick your brains with :)

Welcome to the world of scuba!!! I hope that the bug you've caught will last indefinitely. And to think, for what other activity can you tell someone that you're glad they have some kind of virus :).

In any case, not to sound sarcastic, I think you really should learn to swim proficiently before you attempt scuba again though. I'm really surprised the dive op actually allowed you to scuba without knowing how to swim first. There aren't main prerequisites for Scuba, but I'd tend to think that being able to swim is one of them.

Good luck!
David

Yes absolutely, which is why I intend to time it in such a way that learn to swim comfortably in the next couple of months first (at least be able to do a few laps, float in deep water etc) and then enroll for my scuba certification instruction. In fact part of the certification process is to demonstrate ability to swim atleast 4 laps in the pool.
Regards

Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll pick it up without any problems.

Have fun.
David

Back
Top Bottom