Newby needs help.. BP/W - SS or AL??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You don't have to use a STA with a DR plate. Get the bands nice and tight and it'll stay put. The tank will rock side to side slightly. This does put a bit of wear and tear on the sex bolts but they're cheap to replace and it is easy to see how worn down they are. I'd suggest diving without the STA for a while and see if you think you need it.

Sea Glider,
I'm with Sow Rain on this one. I have a SS plate for my singles rig, and an AL plate for my doubles. With any of my steel tanks, I need 0 weight for my 5/3 or 4/3 suit. I do not use AL tanks, and if I did would certainly need some weight at the end of the dive.
Charlie

thanks everyone,

one last question, about the wing for my setup..I ordered a DR Venture wing since DR is the only brand my LDS has for BP/W setup (I figured its best to support your LDS and also better to deal with someone you know if you need help or advice with problems..)
From my search here on the forum, I understand it might not be the best wing but many people are quite happy with it. My only concern is that most comments were in regards to the 30# wings and I just realized recently that its been upgraded to 45# lift!! :( . will this be too much for tropical waters??? is 45# lift overkill? and if so what negative effects will I see when using this setup?
thanks in advance for all who will make the time to give this newby some sound advice :)

I use a 45lb wing for twined 100cft tanks, deco bottles, lights, weights, etc. Even a 45lb wing made for singles will as TSM said cause the air in the wing to raise to the top of the wings side panels, which would have a lot of the wing wrapping around the tank like a taco. This may cause difficulties when venting that a smaller wing would probably avoid.

I use a venture wing with my single tank and haven't encountered any difficulty venting. Yeah, it does taco a bit but the wedge shape of the wing does wonders for keeping your bottom half up. I love filling it up completely on the surface and laying on top of it like a big raft. :D I know I know, that shouldn't factor into the purchase decision.

Wings, wings, the more I read I more I am confused on what to buy for my single 130... LOL

I'll ask my usual question. Why dive with a wing at all, especially if you have never used one? There's a good chance you'd find a conventional BC might serve your needs better. I have all sorts of gear available to me and many dives on every possible combination, yet if I'm going for a relaxed recreational dive I always use a conventional jacket-style BC.

If you want a wing, why dive with a backplate? DiveRite make an excellent softback harness that works very well with a wing and either a single tank or doubles, and is very comfortable to wear.

And lastly, if you want a backplate do you expect to fly with it? With today's very restricted baggage allowances you'll find a SS backplate will eat seriously into your allowance.

I currently have been diving with a Zeagle Ranger LTD. I like it but as I get into wreck and deep >130 fsw ding I am looking to streamline. I want a wing that I can use with a single and when I get into doubles look to buy another wing. I plan on keeping my Ranger

I have a Dive Rite transplate. SS plate, Rec wing, and red harness (red is faster...I hear :D).

Like anything, there are pro's and con's. I figured the SS plate would stand a little more abuse. The large wing will give you some venting issues and it may shift if you need to roll on your side. But it may be handy to have if you need to recover a 13kg weight belt.

My rig came as a complete set from Dive Rite, and you notice I didn't mention a STA. It didn't come with one. The wing doesn't get pinched by the tank and the double tank straps keep the tank secure, so I'm running with it...well, diving with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom