Newly AOW, and planning a trip to Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pitchblack70

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey all - I just got my AOW (in Nov), and have started planning a trip to Thailand. It's actually not primarily for diving (I've always wanted to visit Asia), but of course I have to get in one day of diving.

My friend who's going with me is not a diver, although he may snorkel with me that day. (Though I kind of wonder if there's a place that he could take a "taste of diving" sampler type course, just for the fun of it.)

The very tentative itinerary right now includes 1.5 weeks, with days in Bangkok, Chang Mai and some good diving spot. Would love any recommendations available...preferably beautiful (of course), good for a non-diver, and a new AOW diver...I only have 10 dives under my belt at this point, so I'm hardly seasoned at the sport yet. Thanks! :D

The DSD or Discover Scuba Diving experiences are available all over Thailand, you get to dive with a professional but don't get certified and it's usually for one or two dives.

When are you planning to visit Thailand, since there are kind of opposite seasons for both the coast sides, roughly being from March through September for the Gulf of Thaland, Koh Tao and Koh Samui and from October through April for the Andaman Sea, Phuket etc.

The best diving you'll find year round on the Andaman Side of Thailand, Phuket, Phi Phi, Krabi, and in season also Koh Lanta and Khao Lak.

If your friend wants to go snorkeling, you could go on the same boat, and while you go diving he can go snorkeling.

Thx for the input...! Sadly, the trip's been cancelled... :( (My friend scheduled a trip to CA for a month later with the family. He's currently looking for a new position, so he can't afford to have so much time unavailable for work, should it happen.) Since I won't go alone....well...darn it, looks like Thailand will wait for another year. Thanks, though, for the info...it may still get put to use in the future...

Back
Top Bottom