Newly certified - Aldora, DiveWithMartin, or?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skittl, the OP should know the cruise line/ship name. With that you can find the time in port and docking pier and that info may factor into their choice.

I know that I like the beach surface interval that Aldora and others provide. Maybe Gryffin would like that as well. If so, that could drive them to a smaller subset of dive shops.
And he doesn't have to worry about whether or not they store wetsuits, otherwise the prime concern in choosing a dive op.

I've never been diving with Aldora, but have read a million great things here. Same with Scuba with Allison. You can't go wrong with any of those smaller dive shops that people boast about on Scubaboard.

I used Blue XTsea this past winter when my boyfriend and I went to Coz so he could take the Discover Dive course (or whatever it's called). We had one-on-one, personal service that was catered to our needs ahead of time. I would highly recommend them. The owner, Christi, is on Scubaboard and will likely chime in or you can find her in a lot of threads here.

I think the best idea is to hire a private DM regardless of who you dive with. I'm impressed that you were already going to do that - it seems like it's suggested often on this forum, but when we read stories after-the-fact, it seems like it doesn't happen much.

Feel free to message me if you want Grand Cayman opinions, as well. I've done more than 300 dives there, almost all with newbies (as part of a marine biology program for high school students).

IMO, Aldora, & don't look back..........

gryffin, First of all welcome to the world of SCUBA ! How wonderful for you and your DH to have the opportunity to dive in Cozumel in February. After reading your post perhaps you would consider the following. As I advise all people who ask which Dive Op they should choose:

#1 - Read the trip and Dive Op reviews posted here on Scubaboard to find who you think you would like to dive with .
#2 - Choose YOUR top 5 list
#3 - From this list start at the top and contact the Dive OP's directly with your questions
#4- Once you are satisfied, book the trip !

For you, your questions may be:

-I am arriving to Cozumel on ______________(date) on the ___________________(Cruise line and Ship). According to the published itinerary, we are scheduled to arrive at __________ AM and Depart at ____________PM. Would you be able to accommodate 2 NOVICE divers for a 2 tank dive. (Cozumel dive ops who book Cruise ship divers are aware of the ship schedules. For you however, do ask before leaving your ship in the morning what the "Ship time" is so you don't miss the boat after returning to the pier after your dive)

-
My husband and I will both be inexperienced divers as we are going to be newly certified this summer and Cozumel will be our first Blue Open Water Dives.

-
We want to hire a private DM (YES, highly recommended)

-
We want to hire a private Charter (Your option of course, but a private DM may be adequate)

-
How many divers does your boat accommodate? (Personally, I would lean toward a Dive Op with a 6 pack boat.)

-
We need to rent ___________________ (State what gear you need if any) ie: BCD, Fins, wetsuit, mask, computer

-
How will we meet your boat ? Do we meet at the Caleta marina or at another location ? (If you need to meet somewhere, all you will need to do is get off the ship and hire a taxi.)

-
Overall, what would the price be for 2-two tank dives, Private DM, gear (if needed) ?

I would recommend in your communications with your Dive Op that you will be able to check your email the night before arriving to the Port of Cozumel should there be any changes to your plan. I realize this is usually an added on board expense , but if there is a change in plan, you may be one step ahead of a possible glitch.

Also, prior to leaving for your trip, you might consider getting some pool time to practice basic skills. In addition to Mask, reg, breathing, buoyancy skills, don't forget Giant Stride AND Back Roll entry. Back Roll entry is frequently used on the Cozumel Dive Boats. Ask your Local Dive Shop how to set this up.

In selecting your dive op keep in mind that everyone, especially here on the Cozumel Scubaboard Forum has their "BEST Dive Op". Again , do read the reviews and get a feel for what your best is. From your post, I get the feeling that the Personalized service of a Boutique/Valet Dive Op would work out well for you. Blue XT Sea Diving (I did say we all had our BEST), Diving with Alison, Aldora Diving, Tres Pelicanos, Living Underwater.....and the list the goes on.

Regardless of your choice, Best Wishes to you for a Wonderful Dive trip and again, WELCOME !!

SS

Last edited:
Sure, unless the boat sinks.
LOL

oops.

Oy, imagine being a cruise ship passenger on that dive? Get ready to pay for 2 one way airline tickets from Cozumel to Grand Cayman to catch the boat. It's only a 4 stop flight and will run you about $7000 a person. My guess, is you'd just fly home and have them mail you your belongings from the cruise ship. :(

Good afternoon, if you are new diver, i can offer you us service, we have a small boat and we take smalls groups, dependence what you like do we can arrange 2 shore dives for you, with a private dive master or in the normal trip, if you want ask me more about us service you can send me a email to info@cozumeldivingandparasailing.com, or if you want check the web page is Cozumel Scuba Diving and Parasailing and there you can see the trip advisor comments. i wish you a great day.

Well Mike, that's what trip insurance was for. Me, if I missed the boat, I'd see if they'd let me stay in coz for a few days before insurance pays for the flight home.

But if you sank at a popular dive site, I bet enough boats would be around that someone would take you back. That last group apparently declined it since they couldn't take everyone IIRC. (And a sinking boat isn't common).

Sue's letter is great. I'd add a question sbout refund policy (what if your shi doesn't dock?) and maybe a private DM would take care of this, but can they guarantee staying above a certain depth/no walls-hard bottom sites (if that matters to you)

That would be pretty handy to have in a case like that!

Do they have miss the boat insurance? Is that what you mean you had when you were on your cruise?

I agree, if it came down to it, you might as well hang out in Cozumel and dive, get some cheap clothes in town and wing it.

Yes ,in fact I think miss the boat insurance is one of the main sells of trip insurance for cruisers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom