Newly certified - Aldora, DiveWithMartin, or?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Using the following link, Celebrity appears to go to the International pier.

CruisePortInsider.com - Cozumel Cruise Ship Schedule - 2014

DWM (Dive with Martin) is in that complex so would be very convenient. A taxi to town if you had to go there to use Aldora or another dive office located downtown is roughly $8 per taxi.

The International Pier is the closer of the two LONG piers in this webcam. The shorter piers are used for ferry and excursion loading.

Cozumel, Quintana Roo - Webcams de México

You would need to ask about logistics with whichever dive op you use.

---------- Post added April 30th, 2014 at 08:26 AM ----------

Using the following link, Celebrity appears to go to the International pier.

CruisePortInsider.com - Cozumel Cruise Ship Schedule - 2014

DWM (Dive with Martin) is in that complex so would be very convenient. A taxi to town if you had to go there to use Aldora or another dive office located downtown is roughly $8 per taxi.

The International Pier is the closer of the two LONG piers in this webcam. The shorter piers are used for ferry and excursion loading.

Cozumel, Quintana Roo - Webcams de México

You would need to ask about logistics with whichever dive op you use.

I do not know all the dive ops who stop on land for the surface interval. Aldora does stop at a beach club (restrooms, shaded sitting area, food) and I believe that Blue XTSea does and possibly Liquid Blue and Living Underwater. There may be more and there are some who stop on land a short walk from a beach club. Personally, I like the chance to sit on land and run my feet through the sand between dives. It is very relaxing.

Sue's list of questions is very good. Consider also asking if they can drop you off by the cruise ship pier at the end of the day. That may not be a big issue since getting from the caleta, downtown, etc to the most distant pier should not take more than about 15 minutes by taxi.

Also consider asking if they get four or more people scheduled to accommodate cruise ship divers...and all but you cancel late...would they still be able to take you diving or arrange suitable alternate dive shop. The point here is that a last minute problem not of your doing ideally should not keep you from diving.

One more question: Ask where they would normally take you diving considering your experience level. I am not an instructor so my view has to be taken as a non-expert, but Palancar sites can be dive on the shallow side (sandy/towards shore) where you can take the time needed to get used to drift diving. Then if you are comforta

One last thought. The 2015 schedule for Celebrity boats show them in post usually at 700 AM and departing 400 or 500 PM local. That is plenty of time to have a great dive experience. Aldora leaves downtown at 730 AM and usually gets back by 130 PM. That includes the ~1.5 hour surface interval. Feet in sand. Looking out over that beautiful blue water. And the chance to see this:

2b2ack

They have a later schedule that is designed to cater to cruise ship and mainland divers.

Last edited:
One last thought. The 2015 schedule for Celebrity boats show them in post usually at 700 AM and departing 400 or 500 PM local. That is plenty of time to have a great dive experience. Aldora leaves downtown at 730 AM and usually gets back by 130 PM. That includes the ~1.5 hour surface interval. Feet in sand. Looking out over that beautiful blue water. And the chance to see this:

I'd make sure Aldora is willing to leave a little later to accommodate cruisers. Ships often have a delay in allowing passengers off (due to immigration, usually), you have to walk through the gigantic forced shopping area, and get a taxi (which is easy, but there may be others in line ahead of you), and travel to the pick up spot.
I'd be very nervous about having to meet a boat downtown at 7:30 docking at 7:00 a.m.

I'd make sure Aldora is willing to leave a little later to accommodate cruisers. Ships often have a delay in allowing passengers off (due to immigration, usually), you have to walk through the gigantic forced shopping area, and get a taxi (which is easy, but there may be others in line ahead of you), and travel to the pick up spot.
I'd be very nervous about having to meet a boat downtown at 7:30 docking at 7:00 a.m.

I did not mean to say that they had to meet the 730 AM boat. I just noted that the total time on the dive trip was adequate to fit with the ship time in port. Thanks for making sure that they do not misinterpret my comment. On the Aldora website they have this:

"We want you to dive NO MATTER WHAT so we have a special late departure to cover most cruise ship and mainland diver's schedules, with the same Aldora Quality Dive Service."

And the chance to see this:
Why on earth would anyone want to see the backside of a guy wearing shorts with long black socks? They'll probably stay on the ship now thanks to you!

Aldora accepts reservations from cruise ship divers and sets our departure time in concert with their ship time. We frequently couple that with divers coming in by ferry from the mainland. Usually not knowing the skill level of those divers, we go to low current, not too deep dives, which usually means Palancar Gardens for the first dive. This site is normally low current and can be enjoyed from 40-60 feet, while still getting the sense of the majestic walls and coral heads. If we have very good divers we might do Santa Rosa Wall as a second dive, that is after along surface interval on the beach. With 50% more air in our high capacity tanks the dives are usually much longer than normal.

If it just one diver shows up, then they get a private charter. That just becomes our cost of marketing/introducing divers to how we dive. Lots of them come back for land vacations! In addition, we guaranty departure no matter how many reservations we have, and also guaranty that we can get divers back to the cruise ship on time.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Well, it has been a while since my last post, but I ended up booking with Aldora for our March trip and I am looking forward to it!

Well, it has been a while since my last post, but I ended up booking with Aldora for our March trip and I am looking forward to it!

When you return home please comment on how the process went for you. I would be interested in hearing how quickly you get off the boat.

Do cruise ship folks on ship excursions get off the boat first?

Do cruise ship folks on ship excursions get off the boat first?

They usually only give priority to those that have cruise ship excursions. But in my experience just for tender ports. Tendering can take a long time and be very tedious. Getting off when the ship is docked is just a matter of scanning your card and going out the door. There is a crush of people, but they have it down to get it done fast.

When we docked at Cozumel we were off a few minutes after they opened the door.

We just did this in October. All newly certified divers and we cruised Carnival, arrived at the international pier. Dive with martin was about two blocks away and an easy walk with a large rolling dive bag. We chartered our own boat for four and it was $40 more than the cruise ship dive op...which I think was sand dollar. After reading reviews of the cruise dive op, I was not going to dive with them. We brought our own regs, masks, wetsuits, and fins. They let me dive an aluminum 100 for no extra charge. Walter, our DM was great and we saw lots of life and stayed around 60 feet since my youngest was 13. The only issue was I wanted weight integrated BC's. Was told they had them and no weight belts. We get there and they hand us a weight belt. It was not an issue though. With your own boat, they are waiting on you when you get there and get you back in plenty of time. Be careful of the margaritas after your dive, they hit harder. I'm glad we did it this way and not with the cruise operator. We are flying back in January but are going with a different dive op only because it is a package deal. We will dive with DWM again when it works for us. Good luck, have fun, and say hi to the morray eel for me!

jay

---------- Post added December 17th, 2014 at 07:25 PM ----------

And...it took us about 30 minutes to get off the ship in Coz. You might find a staff member and ask for any tips about how to get off the boat fast....but, if you have a dive op waiting for you it does not matter other than it seems like it takes 3 days to get off. I believe we disembarked off of deck 2 or 3, but if you knew what deck to be on, it might speed things up. Also, common courtesy is no where to be found when 3000 people are trying to get off a boat at once. It should be legal to throat punch some people as the need arises.....lots of people.

Aldora does late departures for cruise ship divers, and even if only 1 or 2 show up. We consider a confirmed reservation with us as a commitment, no matter what. Our web site has a special section on cruise ship diving.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Bienvenidos - Aldora Divers | Only the best of Cozumel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom