Nitek Duo/Trio vs. Hollis DG02/DG03

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickthompson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm considering buying a dive computer soon and my research has gotten me between the Nitek Duo/Trio or the Hollis DG02/DG03. My understanding is that the only difference between the [Duo/Trio] / [02][03] is that one supports 2 nitrox mix and the other supports three nitrox mixes. So it would really come down to which I could get for cheaper.

That being said, I like both of these models because they support multiple nitrox mixes up to 100% and offer gauge mode. I want an affordable computer that I won't want to get rid of if my diving advances beyond recreational.

My understanding is that the Nitek has a more conservative profile than the Hollis, but besides that it seems to be more about user preference from what I've seen online. Can anyone offer any opinions?

---------- Post added November 20th, 2012 at 10:55 PM ----------

Oh and I know the Hollis has air integration capability...this isn't a feature I'm interested in however.

Go with the Nitek bigger numbers. Hollis computers are using old tech each one of those computers have been updated on the oceanic side to newer models.

I have the Nitek Duo and was recently looking to buy a second one as a backup. However, Dive Rite does not make the Duo or Trio anymore and finding them is a challenge. If you actually find them for sale, please share info as to location and price. One concern might be the warranty/replacement if they fail as they are not made anymore. To muddy the water a bit, Dive Gear Express and Dive Right in Scuba have the Hollis DG03 on sale for $249.

I used the Duo until it was stolen and really liked it. Dive Rite helped me replace the Duo with a Trio, but it had problems towards the end of its warranty period. Dive Rite was good about replacing it, but said they no longer sell the Trio (made by Seiko) due to problems with supply from the manufacturer and do not have parts to repair them. There are a number of equivalents out there made by Seiko and private labeled by IST, Tusa, Zeagle, etc. I notice Tech Diving Ltd. had the IST version on sale for $299. I generally liked the Trio as it was more intuitive to operate than my other computer and the display had larger characters for my aged eyes. However the issue of repair parts would loom big in any decision to buy a clone of the Trio today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom