• No - I Can't Tell a Difference

Votes: 20 16.5%
  • Yes - I Think There is a Slight Difference

Votes: 34 28.1%
  • Yes - There is a Significant Difference

Votes: 51 42.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm prone to migranes and mild headaches. The use of Nitrox has been really helpful. If I get extended bottom time, less fatigue great. But, no more headaches-- That's for me.:wink:

Stone once bubbled...
Fatigue is subjective (and every dive is different); however, do you believe Nitrox reduces post-dive fatigue?

Makes a big difference for me. I did 9 dives this weekend, seven planned and two unplanned, one at midnight last night, in three different counties, two time zones, with around 700 miles of driving (don't ask).

Thank god for the nitrox.

The real surprise is with all the benefit to Nitrox, that there are still people who breathe air. Those that arn't breathing Nitrox now might as well jump onboard now, trust me when I say, this will be THE STANDARD...

My wife says she can tell a big difference and is less fatigued when diving Nitrox.
I can't tell any difference.
She says I'm insensitive.
I'd bet that in a double blind study there'd be no difference.
Rick

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
I'd bet that in a double blind study there'd be no difference.
Rick

Today, i agree with Rick. I swore i felt better when i first started diving enriched air. Quite a few years later i think the benefit of nitrox by itself, is more psychological than physiological.

Regardless, nitrox is not a bad thing if used properly. Personally i never see air going away unless it costs as much as a nitrox. Until that time, air will have a place in my diving.

Rick Murchison once bubbled...
a double blind study

What the hell is a double blind study??? maybe I'm just ignorant, but why not just blind....is double blind like having 2 blind hands to beat to win the pot?

Well, i took it to mean .... uh ..... blind.:wink:

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
What the hell is a double blind study??? maybe I'm just ignorant, but why not just blind....is double blind like having 2 blind hands to beat to win the pot?
Both the divers and the guys evaluating the divers for fatigue would be clueless to what was in the tank. That 2nd level of blindness is to keep any preconceived biases of the researcher from affecting the study. Particularly important when subjective things like fatigue are being evaluated.

I'm a sixty year old guy who doesn't notice much difference betweeen Nitrox and air after one or two dives a day. The difference, however, is very apparent if I attempt a greater number of deeper (80 to 110 fws), and longer dives in a twenty four hour period.

On my last liveaboard trip I completed five or six dives a day on Nitrox for nine straight days. I felt great the whole time - never would have happened on air.

All things being equal, I'll go with the "geezer gas" at every opportunity.

Charlie99 once bubbled...
Both the divers and the guys evaluating the divers for fatigue would be clueless to what was in the tank. That 2nd level of blindness is to keep any preconceived biases of the researcher from affecting the study. Particularly important when subjective things like fatigue are being evaluated.

I learn something new every day....thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom