Nitrox is it worth it????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller,
One additional item that no-one mentioned regarding Nitrox.
It is worth it but first you need to have excellent air consumption.
There is no sense diving Nitrox if you empty a tank at 60' in 30 minutes.

Just an additional thought to ponder.

Dive Safe,
Vettster

My take on Nitrox is that it's worth it.

I just got back from my trip to the Flower Gardens off of the Texas Gulf Coast (and what do I do? I read this board!) where I dove with Nitrox for the first time.

The charter was the Rinn Boats ( http://www.rinnboats.com ) and while they did require "air" divers to bring their own tanks, nitrox divers used their tanks (covering the O2 cleanining issue). And I did dive with buddies that were and were not using Nitrox.

Since I am still relatively new (logged my 30th dive on this trip), my bottom times were similar to my buddies who happened to be more experienced and weren't consuming air as fast as me (avg. depth was 80 fsw). But since the dive day on this boat was 5 dives (including one night dive) I definitely felt the benefit of the increased oxygen by not feeling as wiped out after the day was over as some of the air divers felt. After their night dive, they got a snack and then hit the rack. I stayed up a bit longer and worked in my log book and watched a James Bond movie with the crew. Then I slept like a rock!

So diving nitrox is definitely worth it for certain dives. Especially if you are doing lots of repetitive diving and want to avoid the "pooped" feeling that air divers get.

Also, your post mentioned a cost of $175. I'm kinda curious about this since my TDI nitrox course was only $99. And I have seen other PADI shops displaying the same price. Does yours take you beyond 40% O2?

Originally posted by Sue
One of the things you might want to consider before taking your Nitrox course is the buddies you dive with and the kind of dives you're into. In case you don't have any nitrox certified buddies it's very annoying to use it when others are diving air - since you have longer NDL and shorter SI with EANx, you will have a different dive profile from them.
If your regular buddy/s are Nitrox certified you'll have all the interest of taking the course

Sue

Not at all, you can dive air tables and do the same profiles as they are and still reap the benefits of Nitrox.

Just because you are using Nitrox, doesn't stop you from doing air profiles, it only adds a measure of saffety to the Nitrox.

ID

TM
The $175 is for the PADI Enriched air course, I know that it includes the books and charts, speciality card, class and two dives, I still have to purchase the MIX. (Knowing this shop that price is probly high)

Most of the dives that I have done and in the near future will be doing are in the 40 to 60 foot range. Yes my air comsumption has been improving. Though none of my buddies so far are NITROX. That is why I asked about the effects if any.

I just put two and two together and realized if I do dive on EANx I won't feel so wipped out at the end of the day.

I have a MARES V16 Epos that the shop said would be no problem to convert to Nitrox use.

Thanks

ID

You're right, but if we're looking at multiple diving a day and you're using air tables through EAD, the only benefit from nitrox will be that you feel less tired at the end of the day - you will have the same NDL and SI as if you were diving air.
I dive with nitrox when my buddies are also, and we turn our computers into nitrox mode, otherwise I dive with air.

Cheers

Sue

Fishkiller....If the PADI Enriched air certifies you up to 40% O2 (which the TDI course does), then my $99 covered all of the same info including charts and such, just no dives.

I realize that it's a difference between training agencies, but I can't see the value of the training dives, especially if you are in relatively shallow water. I would see the need if you were learning a skill (such as using a compass or lift bag), but since the only thing being "changed" is your breathing gas, you're not actually practicing anything (well, perhaps using the gas analyzer).

If there's something else, please enlighten me.

That's a great point, Mike. I've never understood why they have you go on dives for nitrox, Adv. nitrox, and even basic trimix for that matter. The only thing being learned is theory -- physiology and tables. A few extra rules to learn and you're off diving. It's not rocket science. I'd love to believe they are just checking you out to see if you're up to snuff, but from what I've seen on charters, I know that's not the case with many nitrox divers, Adv. nitrox, rescue cert, wreck certs, etc. I think it's another case of money talking. Maybe I'm just cynical, eh? lol!

Mike

I require the dives before I will certify. I require planning and execution. I require refinements of the plan based on the reality of the first dive during the surface interval on the boat. I require on-site analysis of tanks, and marking of tanks.
I get $5 per dive to supervise that.
Must be the money alright.
Rick

Everything you mentioned (excluding on site gas analysis) should be a part of any dive regardless of the gas used. That's basic OW stuff. How is nitrox any different? As for on site analysis, I've never seen anyone check their gas on the boat. It's checked and labeled at the store, and you and the filler sign off on it. There's nothing done underwater that's NEEDS to be observed for a nitrox class unless you're lacking skills that should have been learned in basic OW -- in which case you shouldn't have gotten this far anyway.
Look, I'm not at all against high standards, but the current system of certifications seems to be hypocritcal. The standards are so low for the PADI type classes, it's rediculous. If PADI (for example) believes, as it does, that it's students are capable divers, then why the dives for nitrox? The diving itself hasn't changed. If, however, PADI had extremely stringent standards (say on par with GUE) and continued those standards all the way through, then I'd say fine do the dives and weed out the weak divers. I honestly believe they care more about getting them to the next class.
I am certainly not attacking any particular instructors, but rather the industry and current climate. I've seen good instructors who have very high standards and will fail students at any level. Unfortunately, by their own token, the industry standards aren't there. This is blatently evident when I dive on a charter boat and see the mess that inevitably ensues.

Phew! I'm winded now.

Mike

I'm not going to get into a huge debate on all this. The bottom line, in my view, is the swimming itself hasn't changed.

LY,

Regading using the analyzer on the boat: While on my Flower Gardens trip, they mixed (filled?) my tank on the boat after every drive (actually, it was their tank). And it was part of the "boat brief" that analyzing your tank (with their machine) was required before the dive.

I agree that once it's mixed at the qualified shop, they/you should analyze it and mark it on the tank, but when it's mixed on the boat, then it's part of responsible diving to grab the analyzer and check one more time.

Still wondering about the requirement(s)/reason(s) for the dives under the other agencies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom