Nitrox - O2 Clean/Refilling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to skip this O2 clean debate, fascinating as it is, and discuss the question of cost.

The cost of nitrox varies by area. In some places, a nitrox fill is much more expensive than an air fill. In other areas, not so much. In even other areas, not at all.

You happen to live in a pretty good area. Nitrox fills tend to be pretty cheap in South Florida. Here is the price list for a shop a bit north of you: Fill Express at Go Dive Florida - Go Dive Florida. It charges the same price for 32%, 36%, and 40%, and that cost amounts to a TOTAL fill price that is significantly less than the ADDITIONAL price many places charge for nitrox. I assume you will find competitive prices nearer to you. With the prices in your area, I can't see why people aren't diving nitrox all the time.

Wish they were closer, given the frequency I dive I would be going up every day. I like there setup - also you only pay for what you need, not a flat rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The grade of air is a purity issue. Some one may have to help me here, its been a long time since i last dellt with this topic.. some where around grade c is where you change over from inpact wrench air to air you can breath. Fire fighters standard at one time was grade d or better. Scuba used this for years decades back. E is now the standard for scuba regular air and what is refered to as hyperfiltered, safe air, o2 grade air is a cleaner version of it yet. It is all 20-21% air. The so called o2 air has a lower content of hydrocarbons in it and some other things. These questions is why you should get some training. Grade b .... you coldnt care a bit how much CO CO2 OIL ect was int he air cause all you did wit it was filled your car tires with it or run air wrenches. Mosat ships air systems were grade c and to breath it you ran it through a scuba fill station which had sime filtering to get you to grade d or now e. the grade of air has nothing to wdo with 32 or 36% nitrox is has to do with the quality of air or toxic freeness of the air being mixed with the O2 to make nitrox.

nv:
@Ricky B

Leading to my question of how to verify that with the shop? Do I ask if you have o2 compatible air?

---------- Post added March 20th, 2014 at 08:59 AM ----------

Refreshing my memory:

Grade E Air is 20% O2, while Modified Grade E is 21% - Is that correct? I assume that Modified Grade E air has a higher O2 content than standard air fill.

Reactions: nv

Back
Top Bottom