Nitrox vs Normal compressed air

Which do you prefer and what do you use.

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm only twelve but I am hoping that whenever I am old enough I will do a nitrox course. I would just like to know what some of the main differences there are between the two. What I think I know so far is that it gives you more bottom time, but I have heard that it doesn't make your mouth dry like the normal tanks of air do.
Thank you.
Riley Hall

The only thing is that it gives you higher no-deco times at most recreational depths. Some say that they feel less tired after a nitrox dive. Dry mouth is the same.

hold of the IANTD Nitrox manual. Way more comprehensive and better written than the PADI effort.

Way more comprehensive, yes. Better written? Hell no. IANTD texts are horribly written, and the Nitrox manual is no exception (mine isn't, anyway. I think there is a newer version).

Tom would be well served by hiring an editor. Hell, I'd do it for free.

That's like the GUE texts -- great information, horrible editing.

Way more comprehensive, yes. Better written? Hell no. IANTD texts are horribly written, and the Nitrox manual is no exception (mine isn't, anyway. I think there is a newer version).

Tom would be well served by hiring an editor. Hell, I'd do it for free.
Do you find that PADI nitrox manual is written better than IANTD?

Welcome!

It depends on the dive. If I'm diving multiple dives in a day ( more than 2 ) or weekend filled with many dives then my choice is EAN.

If I'm diving a couple of quarry dives I just top off with air.

The poll is a bit off because I think most of us dive what ever is appropriate for the site we are on, and the previous and planned profiles we are going to be diving.

IOW's I don't JUST dive Nitrox or Air, I dive both as needed. For deep dives where there is a hard bottom, I may do a mix that is safe for the depth. IOW's on the Grove, I may dive 28% because it's a bit deep. At Jupiter (FL) I will dive 36% because of a hard bottom, and no chance of going too deep for the mix. On shallow second dives I *might* do a high mix of Nitrox, but I guess it depends on the cost. On a 20~35 foot reef Nitrox is hardly necessary, and is not going to decrease my load much, so I often just go with air.

If I double dip deeper recreational wrecks, you can bet I'll dive Nitrox.

So the benefits as I see them are:
  1. Longer Bottom Time
  2. Less Decompression time if diving deco
  3. Less Nitrogen building even on shallow dives
  4. Extended safety as there is less Nitrogen buildup over multiple dive days

There is only one minor downside..... It can kill you if you go too deep and get O2 toxicity. :shakehead:

I generally feel more energized after diving Nitrox, but I will not list that as a benefit because that is not why I am diving it, and studies can not seem to agree. However Football players do! :D

Do you find that PADI nitrox manual is written better than IANTD?

From what I've seen of it (I just flipped through it), absolutely. PADI's text is contextually better. That's not surprising given that PADI is primarily a publishing company.

In terms of content, IANTD blows PADI away. However, the way it's written would be laughable were it not embarrassing. Technically, I probably wrote better in 8th grade.

That's like the GUE texts -- great information, horrible editing.

I thought Getting Clear on the Basics was pretty good. I just started Beyond The Daylight Zone.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom