Nitrox vs Normal compressed air

Which do you prefer and what do you use.

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sorry, I don't understand this question.
I meant, use air for your deep dives, but when you then dive shallower you'll probably need to dive nitrox to stay clear of limits. Re-reading your post that's probably what you were saying anyway.

I meant, use air for your deep dives, but when you then dive shallower you'll probably need to dive nitrox to stay clear of limits. Re-reading your post that's probably what you were saying anyway.
Sorry, I am not anglophone. Yes, I use a nitrox, when I dive shallower. I have a second tank luxfer 50 (7 liter) containing more than 50% of oxygen, and I use it to decrease the long time of stop decompression from 60 to 10 feet, if I dive on 200 feet with air.

@ Riley hall: On the poll, you write 'Nitrox air', but nitrox is not an air?

"I was astonished to read that the temperature at the end of the debris tube (protruding into the tank from the valve) can reach 3000 degrees celcius if the tank is filled as fast as many fills stations do."

That temperature melts metal especially brass. That sounds incredible.
DP

Last edited:
I currently use 32% Nitrox for most dives. The MOD is always the same, I have the table memorized, I get the extra bottom time over several dives, what's not to like? :14:

I meant, use air for your deep dives, but when you then dive shallower you'll probably need to dive nitrox to stay clear of limits.
That was probably common advice 15-20 years ago, today I think anyone doing 200' dives would be a lot better off getting some Trimix training vs. being narc'ed out of their gourd. OxTox is not the only danger at that depth.

Incidentally, it's nice to kick Peter a few bucks for having lots of good information on his site. Trust me, he's very appreciative of any pecuniary support one can muster.
Not only that, I'd bet he could use the money. :rofl3:

I like to dive on Nitrox just as an added safety factor , my advanced age and all. I'm all of 51 years old.
I was told by a kid at a dive shop that I should dive nitrox because I'm old. Its kinda funny because, I was walking thru the door with 2 steel 100's in hand, and gave them off to him to fill. He had a tough time lifting both tanks and moving them to the fill station. I may be old in his eyes, but I'm not that old.

I am now mixing my own nitrox, just so I don't need to hear how old I am.

I see the benifit in diving nitrox in that my NDL time is much better on nitrox. My normal dive buddy Dale and I can now do a couple of 90 minute dives at the local quarry without any problems.

Jim Breslin

eh ya whipper snapper, lets see ya say that when ya git to be my age:rofl3:
i'm sold on nitrox, i'm planning on a lot of shallow <100ft dives spending lots of time at the bottom. the more i can do that the happier i'll be.
and thanks to the OP for asking that question for me, I didn't know to ask. (yet)

That was probably common advice 15-20 years ago, today I think anyone doing 200' dives would be a lot better off getting some Trimix training vs. being narc'ed out of their gourd. OxTox is not the only danger at that depth

The OP wasn't referring to dives deeper than 200', or even approaching that depth. What I said applied to the dives HE was making. Obviously for deep diving you should use a helium mixture, as I have been doing for over 10 years. Please fit your comments to the facts and don't try to score cheap points.

Back
Top Bottom