Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, AOW 1st and Nitrox 2nd...but I had an excellant AOW class. I have always felt that the AOW course, when done right, makes you a more confident diver.

:)

AOW first then nitrox. Nitrox isnt really going to benefit at the sub 18m depths OW qualifies you for.

Depending on what your normal diving is then nitrox could possibly wait far longer. Id do AOW and rescue first.

You can often combine Nitrox and AOW, since you're looking at doing both may as well.

String:
Nitrox isnt really going to benefit at the sub 18m depths OW qualifies you for.
I couldn't disagree more.

Say you have an air diver and a nitrox diver (EAN36, MOD 95ft/29m figuring 1.4 ATA) as dive buddies. They go on a fairly standard three tank trip on a boat to a reef someplace, diving basically square profiles using Iantd/Buhlmann tables (because I have most of the NDLs memorized and I'm lazy :)). No depths below standard OW.

The first dive they go to 60ft/18m for 50 minutes, do an hour SI, for the second dive they go to 50ft/15m for 60 minutes, another hour SI, and on the third dive again to 50ft/15m for 60 minutes. But waitjustadarn minute. The air diver hit his air NDL at 46 minutes on the second dive and hits it again at 34 minutes on the third dive. The nitrox diver hasn't come within two Iantd pressure groups of the NDL, and wouldn't even if he did two more dives like the last two.

A Nitrox class pays a diver back on their very first dive trip. Even a recreational OW diver. The class is worth every penny. Don't wait, take the Nitrox class now! :D

StSomewhere:
Say you have an air diver and a nitrox diver (EAN36, MOD 95ft/29m figuring 1.4 ATA) as dive buddies. They go on a fairly standard three tank trip on a boat to a reef someplace, diving basically square profiles using Iantd/Buhlmann tables (because I have most of the NDLs memorized and I'm lazy :)). No depths below standard OW.

The first dive they go to 60ft/18m for 50 minutes, do an hour SI, for the second dive they go to 50ft/15m for 60 minutes, another hour SI, and on the third dive again to 50ft/15m for 60 minutes. But wait justadarn minute. The air diver hit his air NDL at 46 minutes on the second dive and hits it again at 34 minutes on the third dive. The nitrox diver hasn't come within two Iantd pressure groups of the NDL, and wouldn't even if he did two more dives like the last two.
Just for ****s and grins, here's the "table math" for anyone who hasn't seen how Nitrox increases your NDL for repetitive dives. There's nothing special about the numbers used, just standard openwater depths and times.

Note: Iantd/Buhlman table pressure groups are a different animal than PADI RDP pressure groups and aren't interchangeable.

Air:
#1 - 60ft/50min -> PG "F" + 1hr SI -> PG "C"
#2 - 50ft/46min (+29min RNT = 75min=NDL) -> PG "G" + 1hr14m SI -> PG "D"
#3 - 50ft/34min (+41min RNT = 75min=NDL) -> PG "G"

EAN36:
#1 - 60ft/50min -> PG "E" + 1hr SI -> PG "A"
#2 - 50ft/60min (+19min RNT = 79min) -> PG "E" + 1hr SI -> PG "A"
#3 - 50ft/60min (+19min RNT = 79min) -> PG "E"

So the air diver surfaces with 1 minute remaining on his NDL for the first dive and surfaces early, at the NDL for dives two and three. The EAN36 diver surfaces with 25 minutes left on his NDL for the first dive and 46 minutes left for dives 2 and 3.

Big TYLER, TEXAS. All refer to us as mudbuggers, our lakes average 4ft vis in Tyler and are always muddy.

Thanks for the welcome,
LH

Change of heart after reading all responses, AOW and Nitrox combined here I come.
Thanks to all for informantion.

LH, be sure and check out the Texas Swamp Divers Forum for info on local gatherings and places to dive. There's usually several of us out at CSSP in Terrell on any given weekend, and you're always welcome to join us. Just watch the Swampdiver's forum and dive in when you get the chance.

lhayes:
Change of heart after reading all responses, AOW and Nitrox combined here I come.
Thanks to all for informantion.
good decision, you end up getting it all done in one weekend, and cheaper. Once you get in the water on the nitrox dives they are just dives, so if you can do say the navigation portion of your AOW too you're on a winner!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom