No certificate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

redhawktwo:
Hehe, Tony, you must have one heck of a course! The only reason I know what those items are is because in a prior life, I was paramedic. Even Basic EMT's might get lost with some of those even though they shouldn't.
Really? All but the Lipnoid Pneumonia are straight from the NAUI open water book. Not covered in depth but they are covered, I beef them up in my class though. BTW, what the heck is lipnoid pneumonia? Always looking for new things to put in my lecture.
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber Rabbit:
Really? All but the Lipnoid Pneumonia are straight from the NAUI open water book. Not covered in depth but they are covered, I beef them up in my class though. BTW, what the heck is lipnoid pneumonia? Always looking for new things to put in my lecture.

Not sure of excactly what lipnoid is, but pneumonia is fluid on the lungs, I would guess that lipnoid may actually be lipoid which is an infection on the lungs caused by bacteria.

Just a guess on my part.

Oh brother............................................

Tony "D":
how about lipnoid pneumonia

OK, I'll bite. My last major certification was before I went to medical school so I may not have been paying the same sort of attention, and I might have skipped the lipnoid class to go to the beach or something. What's lipnoid pneumonia (or lipnoid anything else, for that matter)?

hey! i know everything there is to know about diving too! i'm a smart kid and learned it all in my <50 dives!!!

(yeah, right... )

and do go ahead into the caves... it would be nice to have relics that explorers can find a few hundred years from now: "oh look, a diver from the primitive 21st century...)

take a course, then continue learning... it's not an either/or thing

Jag

ScubaMike14:
Most decent shops will not give you air fills or sell you a regulator without proof of certification. At least I won't at my shop as this is life support equipment and you need to provide proof that you have been trained in it's proper use.

Spend some of your golf ball money and take a class.

Mike Rushton

I'm not aware of an agency or manufacturer that has a rule or standard that requires proof of certification for a regulator purchase. As far as I know all agencies restrict the sales of air but not equipment.

You can buy the stuff all over the net and now days there are fewer and fewer manufacturers prohibiting internet sales. What do you do when a non-diver wants to buy a gift for some one? Refuse to sell it unless they become a diver?

Al Mialkovsky:
Pretty dangerous Mike. Consider that when you say things like this you might very well be encouraging someone who isn't strong and comfortable in the water to train themselves, or have a novice buddy train them.

After all guys all think they're strong.

Be careful not to take what I said too far out of context. Never did I suggest that one should seek training from a novice. Unfortunately many agency certified instructors fit my definition of novice perfectly so I would include those novices in that warning.

Also note that I didn't suggest diving without training or preperation but I did say that one might do very well outside the programs offered by agencies and the tourist dive industry. I also pointed out some of the things that were indicated as essential to diving and how the agencies do a poor job of teaching it or don't teach it at all...ok that's my opinion but I gave examples of what's commonly done to illustrate how I define poor.

I've had to educate myself or guid my own education in lots of things and most a good deal more complex than the diving that most people will ever do. One of the first things to be done is to identify one or more experts or other authoritative sources and tap into them. Unfortunately when it comes to diving, I think there is a high probability that when a prospective diver walks into a dive shop and plops down their money and blindly trusts his/her education to them that they have not found an expert or even a good diver. While the "party line" may have this as the prefered way to begine diving, I view it as being pretty reckless.

Are we recommending training and preperation or certification? Certifications can be purchased at any dive shop and there are lots of them. Knowing what's actually in the training standards and how it's often applied, I'm not able to automatically tie them together the way some of you do.

If I was trying to encourage a prospective diver to do anything at all, it would be to think about what they are being told and not to take anything for granted. For instance, I would not assume that because some one or some agency is in the dive business that they are, in fact, experts on diving. Certainly after having been an instructor with two different agencies, taking a full range of classes from entry level to the highest in existance and doing a bunch of diving, I certainly don't assume any such thing...though I may have accepted that assumption in the beginning before experience taught me different.

So again, I think training and preperation is a great idea but what does that have to do with certification? An unconditional recommendation for certification only has meaning if we make the assumption that certifiation = training and preperation. I don't accept that assumption. We train and prepare so that we can survive and enjoy. We purchase certification to gain access. It would be great if one automatically gained for you the other but it doesn't.

It's a reaction to getting oil in your lungs, and in relation to SCUBA diving, comes from oil in the air (improperly maintained compressor, not using E-class air, etc.)

Terry

Ber Rabbit:

Is this guy for real, I sure hope he's a Troll, because the alternative is too terrifying to consider.
A few hundred dollars is what you consider your life is worth if you don't want to pay to get certified. I don't think it'll be a case of if, more like when you acquire your darwin award.
The open water course is a very relevent and significant aspect of safe diving, a handful of the information that you need for safe diving, as well as a ticket to dive responsibly on organised events. (Beurocrasy it is not).

Just a few of the important factors the course teaches

Decompression Rates, and how to read the tables. (It's just about breathing till your air gets low, and not coming up too quick isn't it ? *Irony*)
Safe Ascent Rates
Dangers of Breath Holding
Carbon Monoxide Poisoning (Where do you plan getting your airfills)
Dive Flags and Markers (No point complaining about having a propeller in your head if you dove without one in a place where you are required to use one)
Equipment Servicing (If you don't want to spend money doing the course, I suspect you'll be equally unwilling to pay to get a working regset tested every year).

On top of all this, you will not be permitted by any reputable agency to take part in organised dives. So I assume you are off diving independently, good luck to you there, I'm certified, and have all my own (serviced) kit. Yet I am still holding back from diving outside of dive school supervision until I learn more about the underwater environment.

I just hope that you don't opt to go snorkling with a garden hose, on days when u can't get a fill.

You may think me harsh and condescending, but if you don't go about getting some form of professional training, and taking part in this hobby responsibly, this post may well be one of the last thoughts that goes through your brain as you take your final mouthful of seawater, or lay floating in wonderment alone on the surface, wondering why you can't move and why you hurt so bad, while your bloodstream has become a foam party inside your body.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom