No such thing as a Pony Bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw someone posted something about spare air's already.
I was going to say, ask him if it would be OK if you had a spare air. If he says yes then point out that your pony is the exact same thing just much bigger and it would actually work if needed.

It sounds to me like he just doesn't like anything "techy" looking or that type of thing/persona whatever you want to call it.
He might think that it could somehow intimidate his students or something. Maybe he's the one who's intimidated?
The guy who used to own my local dive shop was another one who was dead set against anything that resembled tech even if it was going to be used for single tank recreational diving, like back plate wings for instance and pony bottles.
He called it all "wanabe tech crap"... But then he would carry the Seaquest Black Diamond...go figure!

I hear over and over about how quite a few LDS' are in trouble financially. Here is a prime example of why. Not only is this owner pissing off a customer, he is losing an opportunity to up sell the other customers he does have. Why not embrace some new, at least to him, technology? Not to mention the fact that he is probably violating his agencies standards with his course requirements. I believe that PADI states that an instructor can teach above the standards but they can't fail someone for not retaining that knowledge. I know I will be corrected if mistaken.
Wear the equipment you fell is comfortable and provides the level of safety you require, it's your future, not his.
RichH

Also wanted to comment about a few posts saying contact PADI or any agency in regards to a situation like this. First if this is not a breach of course standards then you can always e-mail PADI and ask the question without involving the instructor or dive shop first. This way you can get a proper answer and then determine if you should take it further. If further problems arise where your instructor starts to become unprofessional towards you or you do not feel comfortable continuing with him you can always contact PADI to help act as a mediator in certain situations.

What this instructor is saying/ teaching is a good learning experience for you, every instructor has their way of teaching and you can now learn what not to do if and when you decide to become an instructor.

I have never perceived Nitrogen Narcosis at 130'
I see your anecdote and raise with another: It's not unusual for med to feel narcosis starting to creep up on me when I pass 25m/85ft, and more often than not I'm impaired to some degree at 30m/100ft.

i.e., narcosis is a continuous spectrum, people are affected to different degrees and react differently to it. Neither your experience nor mine can tell the OP how narked he'll be at 130ft. However, I'm pretty certain that he'll be sufficiently impaired to make a difference in any tests.

Not having heard the original discussion I have some doubts.

Did the shop owner really understand that the pony bottle was an alternate air supply?

Stage bottles dropped off to be later recovered and used require some thought, protocols and practice. You don't want to find them empty or rolling down to the abyss. Deco bottles require a lot of care and reliable protocols as that gas may not always be breathable. Even carrying an extra bottle to extend dive time (not dropping) causes extra worries (gas monitoring). An extra cylinder also complicates life under water and may sometimes cause more grief than it relieves.

If you dive with a pony regularly then of course you are fine. How well did the instructor understand this? Maybe he was in a hurry? To deny an alternate air source is silly and dumb but lets not call that person an idiot.

Hey, get one more of those ponies and get into sidemount. it's more fun :wink:

ps. Big pony bottles are called horse tanks.

He said that his instructors doesn't have the training if something happens with it while I'm diving. I'm already in the Divemaster program and can't leave. It's also the only shop in our area. I just didn't understand it's a Tec skill to have a Alternate Air source or that it would require hours and hours if specialized training. I asked would it matter if I had it mounted to my tank and was told... It just causes more problems than it prevents.

edit: It's filled with air only for emergency and not considered a part of my diving air supply.

This is quite worrying. Why are you doing the DM course? Are you looking to travel and work as a DM (and possibly higher), is it just for your own benefit, or would you work for his shop?

If it is the first option, I'd certainly consider going elsewhere (which may mean travelling if he is the only shop in your area). If he is as bad an instructor as he sounds, do you really want to be passing on his nonsense? You also have to think whether you would be employable if the poor standards of training show. If it is the second option, you have to ask yourself what value you are getting out of it. If it is the third, you'd be mad to have anything to do with them.

He said bailout/pony in most of our conversations. I'm kind of irked, he's a professional friend. I spent this money and prepped for the sole purpose that I would be doing nearly all of PADI specialties including Deep diver this weekend. I'm being told we need to meet a required 130feet in 50 degree water because they want us to be narc'd and know how it feels. I have a farmer john wet suit 3/5, I know I'm going to be cold and narc'd because I did a 100feet at the same place in 54 and was shivering the whole dive. I wanted my "bailout" for this dive. I have red flags going off everywhere but all the instructors have done this same dive so if they can do it I should too.

I learned to dive in the UK, around this time of year. My training dives were in a quarry used as an organised inland dive centre. The temperature would have been around 57 degrees F. Everybody was in a drysuit and that is all the school teaches in. I have dived at the same site in a 5mm wetsuit when it was a couple of degrees warmer because I wanted to do a weight check before travelling somewhere warmer. I would say 60 degrees F is the coldest water I'd get in wearing a wetsuit.

Is this 50 degrees at the surface? You may find it is much colder at depth. Shivering your nuts off on any dive, but in particular, deep dives is not good. It will affect your concentration (particularly when narcosis is thrown into the mix too), it will make you uncomfortable and the DCI risks are greater. There is also the issue of regs being more likely to free-flow, so deep diving without a redundant gas source is suicidal.

This is a warning of what can go wrong, from my deep spec. I was diving with the instuctor I did my OW course with. There were two other students - one was a club member I had dived with several times and the other I'd never met. We were going to a very deep flooded slate quarry. It is not an organised dive centre, so there are no facilities. If you have an issue, Prince William is taking you to the chamber in his helicopter. The quarry is 110m at its deepest, but there are shallower shelves. It does get very cold all year round, and it is also very dark. Before the course, the instructor had us in the pool to try wearing a pony bottle as he said we would all be carrying one.

On the day of the course, there were only two ponies available, so he said there would be one per buddy pair. He would buddy up with the other club member and I would buddy up with the other lad. I would carry one pony, and the other club member would carry the other.

In the water, we dropped down a shot line tied to an old car and began to move away. My buddy and I were following the instructor and the other club member. I felt my buddy wasn't where I wanted him - he was always trailing behind and I was having to always look back and forth to stay with him and the instructor. We all had torches, and he gave me a circular signal, which I understand is 'okay'. I returned the signal and looked forward. At that point, I saw the instructor look back and swim back and past me like a torpedo. I looked around and couldn't see anybody. I then saw the instructor come up to me with the other club member and they dragged me to the shot line.

As we ascended, I looked at my computer. We were not hanging about, but I never got an ascent warning. My buddy was on the surface, being looked after by two divers. Everybody was okay and we left the water.

The instructor was clearly worried and began to find out what had happened. Apparently, he found it difficult to breathe from his reg. The 'okay' signal he gave was actually him trying to attract my attention. Because I read it as 'okay' I looked forward and kept going. He then decided to head for the surface. The two divers were on the shot at 6m, and had fortunately just cleared deco. They offered a reg but he kept on past them. They ascended and made sure he was okay.

He told us that he could breathe most of the way up, but it was difficult. At 6m he was completely out of gas. When the instructor checked his kit, there was still gas in the tank and the reg seemed fine. The cylinder and regs were taken to a service technician, who found nothing wrong with them.

During the dive, there were three of us who did something wrong. The victim got his signals wrong; if he'd given me the correct side to side signal, I would have gone over to him. I had never dived with him before - I should not have assumed he would be familiar with torch signals and reviewed them during the buddy check. The majority of blame lies with the instructor though. Number one, we all should have had a redundant gas source - a shared pony is only of use to the person carrying it - the other diver can only use it if he can get to his buddy, which defeats the object. The instructor also made sure we all had torches - signals should have been in the briefing. I also felt he should not have been leading - he should have been in a position where he could watch the group.

I now have a personal rule that I will never exceed 30m without a redundant gas source, unless I am in warm clear waters with a large group. In poor visibility, that may be even shallower.

Anybody advocating deep diving in cold water with inadequate exposure protection and no redundant gas source is a f*****g idiot. An instructor taking students into such a situation is a f******g incompetent idiot.

A slung bottle is a slung bottle. It is the intended use that determines whether it is a pony, a stage, or a deco bottle. Deco bottles generally contain a higher percentage O2 mix than your primary breathing gas, and are intended to accelerate decompression from dives which have incurred mandatory deco. Stages generally contain the same gas as your primary supply, and are intended as supplemental volume to permit a longer dive. One intends to use the gas in a stage.

Pony bottles, on the other hand, are NOT intended for use. The gas they contain is not part of the gas plan for the dive. They are intended as an emergency supply only, and generally will contain the same gas as your primary supply.

Pony bottles can be mounted on the back or slung. The complications of having a pony bottle are the same as any other bottle and regulator -- the regulator can leak, resulting
in having less gas in the bottle than you expect. It can freeflow. It can come loose and get entangled in something. You can actually lose the bottle. All of these problems can be dealt with by an attentive buddy, let alone an instructor.

Haha! Actually, I plan to go sidemount once I finish Divemaster. Of course he and I are bumping heads over that since none of his instructors are sidemount instructors. So that means I would go to another shop. Any good instructors in Florida panhandle?

The whole issue with the bottle is, I want to be safe. I've been left alone, I've been in poor vis water and easily lost my buddy, having a kid made safety a lot more important and I want to be able to save my own butt if I can. Believe me, I would love to spend what I spent for this on my kid. However, it doesn't hurt to have and if I never ever need it, then great. It only takes once for all hell to break loose and for a second wish I had it and then wish no more as I'm feeding the fish.

If you are in the panhandle, then Edd Sorenson at cave adventurers in Marianna would be my first recommendation. I teach in that area on occasion but Edd has the shop and is a SM guru.

Honestly, if you were Russian it would have a different name again. In our club the majority of members use "Pony" bottles as a bailout air supply especially on deeper dives, as well as when scalloping as you often get seperated from your buddy. It is simply a bit more backup and requires very little training or orientation. The guy in the dive shop should go into another business.

Am I the only person disturbed that there are people training divers who can’t figure out a backup gas source?

Or leaving their students alone at 80' when one of their other students is having a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom