Nomad JT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anybody wonder what the JT stand for? I promise you it isn't "just terrific".

The initials of the designer...

Anybody wonder what the JT stand for? I promise you it isn't "just terrific".

That doesn't mean it works for everyone, though.

Was it his design to put 3 dumps on the wing?

I am not sure 3 dumps are needed. Dumps that work properly are needed. In JB on Saturday my DiveRite Nomad Express dump stuck in the open position. My buddy could not remedy the situation so I resorted to using my drysuit as an alternate buoyancy device to exit the cave. No biggy, but it would be nice to have dump valves you could depend on. I would appreciate the new design having better dump valves.

If you are going to design something new make it right. Talk to Edd, Rob and the other instructors who teach and dive this design. Those who have 100's of dives on it and have to modify the out of box design so that it is usable.

That doesn't mean it works for everyone, though.

Was it his design to put 3 dumps on the wing?

You are right Rob,it probably won't work for everyone. If you want a sidemount rig,that is basically diving backmount skill set,but your tanks on your side,then the other ones work well. I like some of the thought that has gone into the JT,because this is the closest to anything I have seen that would handle real tight sidemount situations out of the box. I am sure some of the rationale into the dump placement,and number is that when you are in tight restricted passage,reaching for a dump isn't always possible,or being in a good position to vent the air. I've been in some bedding planes where venting gas was needed,but almost impossible to get into position to do it. I am not real thrilled with 3 dumps,because they are failure points,but they are placed to reduce contact. I saw this unit during the design/testing phase,and the guy who worked on it has laid more line in small cave lately than anybody,and a lot of the cave left for exploration can be some difficult stuff,so I will give his design the time of day.

If you are going to design something new make it right... other instructors who teach and dive this design.

Sometimes wish it was that simple. Every instructor,diver etc has their requirement and desires to see in a gear platform,so where instructor xyz will say it is great,instructor abc will say it is junk. This exists now with several configurations from the razor,to the Nomad. In fact in the history of sidemounting this has always existed,because sidemount equipment used to be a cobble industry where everyone designed their own rig to their unique requirements. In reality the wing configuration for sidemounting is really not ideal,it just took hold because every manufacturer had a wing,and mated these together. Ideally,the jacket BC concept is best,because all your bouyancy in enveloped around your body,for a smaller profile. But,for out of the box,"exploration grade" sidemount rig,the JT look pretty darn good IMHO.

Kelly, I'm not completely discounting the JT. It has a lot of good features. I think it also has some issues that weren't thought out that well. Dump placement being one. No matter how many dumps and the location, as long as they are under the wing, there will be issues dumping air. They would have done better with a recessed dump on the back of the wing. I'm working on a design now to modify my current rig. Also, not everyone advertises their projects.

Sometimes wish it was that simple. Every instructor,diver etc has their requirement and desires to see in a gear platform,so where instructor xyz will say it is great,instructor abc will say it is junk. This exists now with several configurations from the razor,to the Nomad. In fact in the history of sidemounting this has always existed,because sidemount equipment used to be a cobble industry where everyone designed their own rig to their unique requirements. In reality the wing configuration for sidemounting is really not ideal,it just took hold because every manufacturer had a wing,and mated these together. Ideally,the jacket BC concept is best,because all your bouyancy in enveloped around your body,for a smaller profile. But,for out of the box,"exploration grade" sidemount rig,the JT look pretty darn good IMHO.

I understand what you are saying and that makes sense. Are the dump valves the exact same as on all of the other Dive Rite wings? I have heard several people say they have had theirs to stick in the open position as I have. I have modified my Nomad Express. I hope the changes have fixed the problem with air getting trapped in the wing because of the shoulder straps and bungees being placed over the wing. Having the dump valve get stuck in the open or closed position is my only concern left now. Surely there is a better design for this.

I like the placement of the shoulder straps and bungees on the new system and it seems to be less cluttered. I would certainly like to try it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom