Noob to Scuba with a question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whathedeuce

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey,
I am new to this forum, and have just recently gotten scuba certified...and all i can say is that it is awesome. I got certified down at Ginnie Springs, FL.

Anyway, i have a question concerning regulators. I was able to find a Genesis Yukon regulator, with a Genesis safe second and genesis pressure gauge for an unbelievable price. They look brand new, and have only been used twice. They look like they have been very well taken care of, but they haven't been used in a couple of years. I was going to take it down to our local dive shop to have them inspect it to see if it needs any maintenance or parts replaced, etc.

So here is my question: I know scubapro equipment guarantees parts for life as long as you get the equipment serviced at least every year. Is it a good idea to buy this regulator set, assuming the dive shop says it is in good shape, or should i just wait and get a set of scubapro regulators? What can parts and regular maintance for regulators run? And, if you take care of them and dive say, a couple times a month, how often might you have to replace parts? I know this was a really long post, but thanks for you guys help...

If your dive shop says they are fine

Then how many parts will you have to purchase for yearly service to make up for the savings between these regs and scuba pro regs.

I own scubapro regs so I can't comment as to the quality of the Genesis product

Hey,
I am new to this forum, and have just recently gotten scuba certified...and all i can say is that it is awesome. I got certified down at Ginnie Springs, FL.

Anyway, i have a question concerning regulators. I was able to find a Genesis Yukon regulator, with a Genesis safe second and genesis pressure gauge for an unbelievable price. They look brand new, and have only been used twice. They look like they have been very well taken care of, but they haven't been used in a couple of years. I was going to take it down to our local dive shop to have them inspect it to see if it needs any maintenance or parts replaced, etc.

So here is my question: I know scubapro equipment guarantees parts for life as long as you get the equipment serviced at least every year. Is it a good idea to buy this regulator set, assuming the dive shop says it is in good shape, or should i just wait and get a set of scubapro regulators? What can parts and regular maintance for regulators run? And, if you take care of them and dive say, a couple times a month, how often might you have to replace parts? I know this was a really long post, but thanks for you guys help...
Number 1 ---- yes they need to be serviced. I don't care how well cared for they seem, all parts degrade over time whether used or not. Number 2 --- you are new to diving, I wouldn't recommend buying used "life support" equipment. Number 3 --- any deal that sounds too good to be true IS too good to be true. Number 4 - I am not a dealer of equipment. I am married to an instructor and have been associated with two different dive shops over the past 8 yrs. My experience with equipment, having seen everything from $$$$$ gear to $ gear.... you get what you pay for. Better gear has better warranty, and better gear lasts longer and needs fewer repairs. Much of the "inexpensive" gear out there doesn't last more that a couple of years and the parts available to fix cost as much as a new rig. So in MY OPINION, this is just my opinion based on MY experience --- buy new, buy as good as you can afford. The last thing I want anyone to do is have equipment problems at 100' depth on gear that was "a great deal".

robint:D

That is mainly what i was asking...if i get it serviced and it checks out before use, then there should be no problem, right? i have never priced, so what CAN replacement parts roughly run? Also, i thought Genesis was a good quality brand......

If they have only been used a couple of times and you can get them at a cheap price, buy them. Have them checked out by a qualified reg mechanic and don't look back. Most regs will last for many years without needing any new parts. Usually just a cleaning will take care of them. I bought a couple of old Dacor XLE's which had been in a guy's garage for about 10 years that when opened up looked like new inside. All they needed were a couple of O-rings and they were good to go. Don't buy into these stories about used regs not being useful. They just want to sell you a bunch of over-priced new stuff.

That is mainly what i was asking...if i get it serviced and it checks out before use, then there should be no problem, right? i have never priced, so what CAN replacement parts roughly run? Also, i thought Genesis was a good quality brand......
find a Genesis dealer. Having a reg serviced at our LDS runs $25 per stage plus parts... and the parts if not covered under warranty run anywhere from $50-250 depending. That is why I said some regs are cheaper to replace completely. You would be amazed at some of the "used" gear out there.... some is very well made and parts are still available 20 yrs+. Other gear is crap and after about 2 yrs starts breathing like sucking a strawberry thru a straw. No matter how much tweaking a tech does to the reg, it can't be adjusted back to what it was new.
Just my 2 cents here. As I said, I am not trying to sell anyone anything... just my personal experience from being in the dive industry for 7+ years.

Okay, and thanks for your input. So, the parts can be quite pricey...But, typically speaking, if taken care of and regularly cleaned, about how often would i be looking at getting new parts? i know this is uncertain because parts can break at any time, but with your experience at the shop how often did you see it? Also, i'm assuming that the $50-250 was not talking about just little stuff like o-rings....

Most regs will last for many years without needing any new parts. Usually just a cleaning will take care of them.

That is not a plan I would recommend.

As for the OP's question, I don't know exactly how much parts cost, because I do get mine serviced every year with free parts. If you get a full service every year like that, you will make up the difference in cost pretty quickly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom